what is the latest on sat domes?

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2010-11-22 5:25 PM

I've a Teleco system on my panel van linked to a Skybox and free to air box; it sits very flat to the roof and is unobtrusive.

now I understand...what telco have you Mike, and what would you get now if buying again please :-D

they say the Kat 610 is equivalent to a 60cm dish...what do you think?

JudgeMental - 2010-11-22 9:57 PM

Mike88 - 2010-11-22 5:25 PM

I've a Teleco system on my panel van linked to a Skybox and free to air box; it sits very flat to the roof and is unobtrusive.

now I understand...what telco have you Mike, and what would you get now if buying again please :-D

they say the Kat 610 is equivalent to a 60cm dish...what do you think?

I've got the FlatSat Easy 65 cms. I can get all channels as far as Coma Ruga South of Barcelona and the channels start falling off the further south you go. Between Benicassim and Alicate for example not much is obtainable. Further South reception improves. On my previous van I had a Maxview crankup and this Teleco dish is able to receive channels I could not get with the crankup although it is an excellent piece of kit. The Teleco brochure is here:

http://www.support-telecogroup.com/telecogroup/teleco/pdf/teleco_camper_gb.pdf

One of the advantages of the Teleco is that it sits very flat to the roof so is unobrusive.

Others to consider are Alden which are very popular with the French.

Derek mentions that ITV etc is available throughout Spain on a 65cms dish through "Other Channels" on the Skybox. (ITV is on 11973 I think). I did not mention these as you need a Sky card and foolishly I keep forgetting to take it with me so I have not actually tried it.

One thing I didn't realise with these dishes is that if you want maximum performance in Spain the lnb needs to be skewed and my fitter did this for me and I get good reception in the areas of France and Spain I want to use it while also being able to get all channels inthe UK. I'd get the same dish again.

Personally I would not go for anything less than 65cms.

JudgeMental - 2010-11-22 11:51 AM

I have an old sky box that my sister gave me and I got the card for it....so was thinking a twin LND model would be best. and use this and a a freeview box together...would that give a better chance of picking up more UK channels? :-S

The only reason, really, for a twin LNB is so that you can watch one program and record another, that is if you have a Sky+ box or equivalent. I suppose you could use a twin LNB to use 2 different receivers but normally you culd use a scart lead and connect the two boxes together. We have a Maxview Semitronic dish and use a Maplins Free to Air receiver to get the right satellite and then change over to the Sky box, as the Sky boxes are more difficult to tune in as the response takes longer. The more modern ones should be a bit quicker though. The Maplins receiver has a built-in signal finder.

JudgeMental - 2010-11-22 11:51 AM

I have an old sky box that my sister gave me and I got the card for it....so was thinking a twin LND model would be best. and use this and a a freeview box together...would that give a better chance of picking up more UK channels? :-S

The only reason, really, for a twin LNB is so that you can watch one program and record another, that is if you have a Sky+ box or equivalent. I suppose you could use a twin LNB to use 2 different receivers but normally you culd use a scart lead and connect the two boxes together. We have a Maxview Semitronic dish and use a Maplins Free to Air receiver to get the right satellite and then change over to the Sky box, as the Sky boxes are more difficult to tune in as the response takes longer. The more modern ones should be a bit quicker though. The Maplins receiver has a built-in signal finder. We had no problems on the Algarve last Winter with this system although some of the channels were not available because of the size of the dish.

JudgeMental - 2010-11-22 10:43 AM

The more I look the more I like the Kathrein CAP 610? opinions please :-D

Hi Judge

Have used an Oyster Caro before - although not any further south than La Rochelle - and it is a very good, simple to use system. Also used it in Germany/Luxembourg without any difficulty.

I believe it is equivalent to a 65cm dish. Bought it for exactly the same reasons (low height) and at 13 cms folded it fitted neatly under our 2.7m car port on the Knaus Sun Ti we had.

At the moment we are satellite dish-less (having foolishly sold that van with it on) but would certainly consider that model again for our IH Tio (it can also come with its own receiver with remote IR sensor) or may consider a manual one like the Camos crank-up.

David

If I can offer just one piece of advice to anyone thinking of getting a sat dish of whatever make/type it will be this: Make sure the installer is going to give you a comprehensive demonstration of the system working and answers all your questions fully. I see (and hear from) lots of people who have had a system fitted by XYZ installer and didn't even get to see it working let alone any instruction on how to use it. This is especially important for a manula dish sucxh as the Maxview or Camos crankup systems.

D.

david lloyd - 2010-11-23 12:03 PM

JudgeMental - 2010-11-22 10:43 AM

The more I look the more I like the Kathrein CAP 610? opinions please :-D

Hi Judge

Have used an Oyster Caro before - although not any further south than La Rochelle - and it is a very good, simple to use system. Also used it in Germany/Luxembourg without any difficulty.

I believe it is equivalent to a 65cm dish. Bought it for exactly the same reasons (low height) and at 13 cms folded it fitted neatly under our 2.7m car port on the Knaus Sun Ti we had.

David

I take it you are referring to the Western side of Germany because even our 85cm oyster won't pick up Astra 2 on the North East coast.

lennyhb - 2010-11-23 2:24 PM

I take it you are referring to the Western side of Germany because even our 85cm oyster won't pick up Astra 2 on the North East coast.

I assume you mean Astra 2D? You should be able to get the encrypted ITV/C4/C5/BBC News and red button channels on Astra 2A and 2B in the whole of Germany.

derek500 - 2010-11-23 4:40 PM

I assume you mean Astra 2D? You should be able to get the encrypted ITV/C4/C5/BBC News and red button channels on Astra 2A and 2B in the whole of Germany.

Yes, as encrypted channels aren't a lot of good to me.

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2010-11-23 4:42 PM

derek500 - 2010-11-23 4:40 PM

Yes, as encrypted channels aren't a lot of good to me.

an old sky box and £30 card and there you go Lenny....

if I move the roof a/c from camper to van (dealer has offered) a dome with a/c will be a bit of an eyesore so one of these lay flat dishes maybe better on a panel van anyway :-S

the Kathrean 610 claims to be equivalent to a 60cm dish whereas the camos caro 50cm. the 610 has its own receiver and dont take a sky card...is there a work around or I'm not going to get the service Derek says is available;e with a sky box *-)

any ideas please?

Guest JudgeMental
Mike88 - 2010-11-26 9:34 AM

This question has already been answered. You can run most dishes from 2 receivers without the need for a second lnb.

I understand the twin LNB is not needed from previous posts thanks

in the case of the Kat 610 they say it only works with supplied receiver? "most" dont really cut it when you have zoned in on a particular model.... These things are expensive :-D

JudgeMental - 2010-11-26 10:27 AM

Mike88 - 2010-11-26 9:34 AM

This question has already been answered. You can run most dishes from 2 receivers without the need for a second lnb.

I understand the twin LNB is not needed from previous posts thanks

in the case of the Kat 610 they say it only works with supplied receiver? "most" dont really cut it when you have zoned in on a particular model.... These things are expensive :-D

In which case I would not buy it as the ITV etc referred to in Derek's post will not be accessible as you need a Skybox with card.

Look at the ranges from Oyster, Alden Teleco etc. Are you sure you have room on your roof?

One final point that others may wish to comment on. Most of the people in the trade I have spoken to are sceptical about claims that such and such a dish is the equivalent of a larger dish.

I remember being parked up alongside a van in St Jean de Luz with an Oyster Caro square dish. The guy told me his dish was the equivalent of a much larger one. At around 8pm in the evening while we were watching TV he knocked on the door and was distraught that I was getting BBC on my cheap Maxview Crankup and he could not. So be careful what you buy if you want to use your dish in fringe reception areas.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Mike will have to see what space I have...Adria has 2 midi heki's so may be a bit tight.

have you still got the crankup?

JudgeMental - 2010-11-26 12:07 PM

Thanks Mike will have to see what space I have...Adria has 2 midi heki's so may be a bit tight.

have you still got the crankup?

No. I've got a Teleco 65cms auto on my new van. The Crankup is a great piece of kit - easy to get a signal - but it sits quite high on the roof when folded and I did not fancy having the crankhandle through the roof of my bright shiny new van. It was fitted on my Transit and overhung the back but it looked OK. That might be an option for you. I could get a signal on that as quickly as some auto systems.

Guest JudgeMental

German dealer has offered the following for approx £1700 with vat, including 18 inch TFT with DVD. presumably fitted above rear pasenger sofa *-)

"The automatic Sat System with 18,6" TFTF/DVD mounted would cost net. 1700.-. It would be an ALDEN system with CI Option and ready to receive UK Sat."

what is a CI option....anyone? :-S

are alden any good? I know they are popular in France...

found this: http://www.elecleisure.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=7

the TV is a new model and 12v which is good I guess.....£425 and dishes start at £1750 here alone so with a reciever as well offer seems good?

Archived