Electrical Fault

fud3

Can anyone help with this one as it is beating everyone at the moment.

Our Swift Suntor has an electrical problem, the wipers will work when the electrics are on, but as soon as the engine is started the wipers stop working.

This same problem is also having an affect with the lights on dip beam, in that when the wipers work the dip beam does not. When the engine is running the lights work. Even stranger is that if the lights and wipers are put on together with the engine running they both work!

The Auto Electrician who has had it for 2 days has not been able to locate the fault, he is convinced that it is a component fault, but which one he is not sure.

The other thing is that when he removes the relay for either the wipers or the lights the other works fine!

At first he thought it might have been alternator problems, but having put on a different alternator, this is not the problem.

I've spoken to the local Fiat Auto Electrician, who sounded as though anything with more than 1 syllable and he was struggling to cope, so i spoke to another dealership, who though it could be a Body Computer Fault, and that if this was the case expect £300-£400 (it is unfortunately out of warranty) but until he connects it up to his computer he can not confirm this.

The fault has only come to light in the last few weeks, when we were going to go away in the van but not having any wipers and it raining that was stopped.

I am talking to another Auto Electrician who has a Texa Diagnostic Machine and he thinks that this may pick up the fault. I do not fancy paying the £75+ per hour that Fiat charge to put on their computer hence speaking with other Auto Electrician.

The only other thing that may have caused a problem, was that after the van had been for it's habitation check the battery was flat (it had done this before just after we bought the van from Blackhills of Newark and this had been traced to them wiring the sat nav in live so even when it was not connected it was still running live) so it had to be recharged, just wondered if this may have had any had in the problem, as i have been told that the Body Computer can be scrambled if the earth and live cables are connected up wrong!

Any ideas appreciated. (?)

I think that putting asside the possibilty of a bad earth to perhaps the body computer or the relays that you need to get the Diagnostics plugged in and see what it says. This is the problem with modern vehicle elecritics. Us sparky,s can follow a wire or three but when it goes into a black box then the only way you can make sence of it is to understand the software inside it.

CAN bus systems save wiring and weight but soue make it difficult to "knife and fork" ones way through its logic.

C.

I had a similar problem on the wifeys Peugeot 206.

What has happened is that you have a fault on the unit that controls the stalks for lights, wipers etc.

Years ago, these used to be simple switches. Now there is one complete unit that slots in under the steering wheel. The bad news is that mine cost over £200 and I think my mate who fixed it charged me little more than cost price.

There are a few variants, depending on the accessories fitted so be sure you get the right one.

peterandlinda - 2010-11-21 4:47 PM

Hi

Difficult one this but I would pick up on Clive's comment - I would first suspect that this an earthing fault. We have had a few of these and checking (laboriously) the earth connections has solved it on most occasions. Try this first as it is cheaper!

P&L

I do remember that the first guy said that he had found an earth wire which showed signs of over heating on the connector which goes into the fuse box (I think) though he did try and clean this up, but this did not do anything, I think he had traced this wire to the wipers though he did say that the wipers seamed to have a separate earth wire as well.

Ah well, looks as though all the earth's need checking, as you say it will be cheaper than either having to replace lighting / wiper column and / or body computer.

Dave Newell - 2010-11-21 5:07 PM

It would be hugely helpful to know what year your vehicle is. If its 2007 onwards then you really need to have the diagnostics done.

D.

The van was registered 2008, so yes it will be 2007, it will go on diagnostics before anything is done.

peterandlinda - 2010-11-21 6:24 PM

fud3 - 2010-11-21 3:25 PM

Too much reliance on computers in modern vehicles, you would not put your desk top or laptop out in the rain and expect it to work after that!

Actually, yes I would expect it to work - nowadays they do.

P&L

Good luck with the problem.

They might work in the rain but not when it rains hot coffee. :$ *-)

The van has been on the diagnostic machine now, and all it is telling us is that which i new already, that is that the lights have a fault and that the 2nd speed on the wipers have a fault. I have also been told that the wiper motor plug appears to have been replaced before, but i bought this van allegedly new from Blackhills of Newark.

There is an electrical spike somewhere that when it gets to 12 volts it goes up to 14volts then cuts out and the wipers stop working.

Removing the relays as i said before allows the wipers or lights to work depending which relay is removed.

I need the vehicle this weekend, so i have been told that they can fit an over ride switch, but for goodness sake this is not 3 years old yet but out of Fiat warranty!!!!!!

Again if anybody has any other ideas appreciated

Mel B - 2010-11-23 5:33 PM

I thought the Fiat warranty was for 3 years???? 8-)

If the Fiat warranty had been 3 years i would have had it back to them, that is why it is with the auto electricians and not back at Fiat

Warranties have more holes in them than Swiss cheese.

When I had my Elddis van (on a Peugeot) the vehicle side gave virtually no warranty after 12 months on electrical problems.

fud3 - 2010-11-24 8:32 AM

If the Fiat warranty had been 3 years i would have had it back to them, that is why it is with the auto electricians and not back at Fiat

I assume you haven't got the 3rd year dealer warranty then, or the fault doesn't come under their 3rd year warranty terms.

Interesting as when we had a Swift (bought new in 2001) it definitely had a 3 year warranty from Swift .... hence my question .... :-S

Archived