Xmas in the Van!!

graemepd

Guest pelmetman
graemepd - 2010-11-21 5:07 PM

Can anybody recommend a site to stay over Xmas in Devon/Cornwall please? We're looking for somewhere with facilities and to have a Christmas lunch possibly in a nearby pub/restaurant.

We had a excellent Christmas at Dulverton CC, walking distance of lots of pubs restaurants etc, not sure which are open Christmas day, but if you ring the site wardens they will probably know :D

The only thing is you are leaving it quite late to book :-S

graemepd - 2010-11-21 5:07 PM

Can anybody recommend a site to stay over Xmas in Devon/Cornwall please? We're looking for somewhere with facilities and to have a Christmas lunch possibly in a nearby pub/restaurant.

Hi and welcome to the mad house! :-D

Can't help with a place to stay, but be aware if you are intending on going out for lunch on Christmas Day itself it will cost you an absolute packet!

I spent last Xmas at Ayr Holiday Park at St Ives. Not cheap but it has fine views and the best toilet facilities of any camp site I've been on.

It's handy for the town but there's a steep uphill walk back. Perhaps a taxi would be in order and hang the expense. 8=)

Roger

I've heard favourable reviews of Hillhead Caravan Club site in Brixham although I've not been there myself.

They've got vacancies over Christmas but are already full for New Year's Eve, and it has an entertainment complex if that's your thing.

There's a bus service outside the main gate to Kingswear, Brixham and Paignton.

I would've thought a lot of the smaller sites would be fully booked for the Christmas period by now.

John

Agree Judge. I'll be thinking of them whilst I'm sitting in front of my log burning stove warm as toast with a glass of Whisky in my hand. :D

Camperdude - 2010-11-21 6:30 PM

I've heard favourable reviews of Hillhead Caravan Club site in Brixham although I've not been there myself.

Bus service outside the main gate to Kingswear, Brixham and Paignton.

John

We went there 2 years ago. Site is fine but entertainment was so loud that it completely killed conversation. Several complaints were made to lower the volume, to which the reply was, "it isnt possibleto adjust it". I suggested I could show then how, just tell me where the "off" switch was.

In disgust, we quit the "entertainment" and went back to the van.

Not our cup of tea at all.

This year we are booked in at an east dorset rally. Hope that will be better.

tonyg3nwl

Camperdude - 2010-11-21 6:30 PM

They've got vacancies over Christmas but are already full for New Year's Eve, and it has an entertainment complex if that's your thing.

There's a bus service outside the main gate to Kingswear, Brixham and Paignton.

I would've thought a lot of the smaller sites would be fully booked for the Christmas period by now.

John

I would recommend Hill Head CC site, very good meals and bar with entertainment etc, pool probably a bit cold this time of year though.

A very popular site but maybe full though.

Archived