Autoroute 2010, Pro,s & Con,s Your View Please

Corky 8

Hi "O Knowledgeable Ones ",

My Better half asked me what useful item I would like for Christmas,  Our Motorhome is not only our mode of holiday Transport/ Accommodation,its also our hobby so when asked a Question like that I automatically think of something for use associated with "Corky " our Motorhome,  I had Autoroute 2000 on our first home computer , now long gone. With the Advent of Google Earth, is there need / place for Autoroute, is it worth the price ,which is best to buy standard or the GPS option,does it work well,or problematic, I have read all I can find in the forum search facility. Ive tried downloading the free trial but have had problems ,Windows tells me the files cannot be read ? my Laptop opperates on Windows Vista so will I have Problems with the Autoroute Cd onto my Laptop?, any replies gratefully Accepted

Cannot comment on Autoroute 2010 but I currently have the 2007 version (I have also had the previous versions). I have the standard version as opposed to the GPS version. I use the Autoroute a great deal for checking routes against the ones on my Sat Nav. It is also very useful for planning routes and checking POI. I am running on Windows XP and have not had any problems with it. I guess with Google Earth you need to have an internet connection, alright if at home but when 'on the road' ? Autoroute with GPS I imagine works like a large Sat Nav but is this convenient when driving ? The other disadvantage of using it as a Sat Nav is that you won't get the other functions that a Sat Nav has e.g. Live Traffic Alerts, Speed Camera Database. Personally, i always like to have a copy of Autoroute, you can research & plan routes in the comfort of your home or van without needing an Internet connection or GPS.

Guest JudgeMental
It is a good resource I think (2010) I use it all the time along with Garmin map source. and as it can be bought for cheap on the Internet (£16?) a bit of a bargain.

We have been using various versions of Autoroute for over 10 years wouldn't be without it.

Currently using 2007 with 2010 maps, used both 2007 & 2010 in XP & Vista without any major problems, 2007 in vista occasionally crashes if you scroll too fast.

You don't have to buy the GPS version any compatible receiver will work, I brought a cheap one on ebay.

The voice guidance is a bit crap but SWMBO does that bit.

Find it great for continental touring the satnav stays firmly shut in the glove box. We also have a portable printer so when going for a wander in strange towns we can print a map.

Many thanks to you all for your valued replies I will get Autoroute with GPS as a Christmas Present on the 25th, and Peter I may ask you for more details on the Pin-Push thingio, when I get my Present  if thats ok. ?  again Thank you very much, Safe journeys to you all ,  Dennis 

Have 2010 on laptop and desktop, both Vista, one Home Premium, and the other Business.  Runs perfectly well on both.  Not downloaded, but bought as DVD from Amazon. 

NavTeq mapping reasonably up to date and covers most of Western Europe down to "street" level - but main roads only Bulgaria, Roumania, Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania, Kosovo and FYR Macedonia. 

The GPS version is to enable the computer to be used as a sat nav.  IMO a bit daft, as driving with a computer running seems relatively impractical to me compared to a "proper" sat nav, and map updates aren't available for AutoRoute as they are for sat-navs, so your maps will become progressively out of date unless you buy a new AutoRoute.  Note it is not guaranteed to be updated every year.

It is excellent as a route planning tool, and it is very easy to alter a route to suit your preferences.  Once you set the preferences for road types to suit yourself, it is easy to get three routes: shortest, fastest, and preferred.  If you fine tune the speed selector, which is greatly degraded from previous versions, it is  - just - possible to "train" it to predict arrival times with reasonable accuracy. 

You can also set start time for driving, end time for driving, enter break intervals so that it will automatically insert, for example, a one hour break every four hours (both parameters variable) of driving.  You can enter fuel consumption for your vehicle, and it will give a fair indication how much fuel will be needed, and even when you'll probably need it.

So, you can set start point and end points as far apart as you wish, let AutoRoute select its route, check whether you like to look of it, correct to suit, then scroll down the directions to see where you will be at a given time, look for potential stopping places in the locality, add the place to the route, set the stopping time, and so on all the way from John O'Groats to Cape St Vincent!  Then all you need, is a convenient way to follow the yellow brick road.  :-)

Brian, Thank you for that in-depth description I,m obliged, I did read everything you wrote on the Autoroute in the Search Facility ,I,m now undecided on the GPS side of Autoroute as I have two Sat nav,s already, the one I bought and the one fitted in the Motorhome we just bought , But I now think Autoroute would be a useful tool to have.  Having a sat Nav I still consult the Map, old habits die hard,  Thanks again Brian               Dennis

If you use the forum search (in the box at the top of the page and enter the words ! Autoroute 2010 ! (without the !)

There are some helpful hints of what AutoRoute can do, and installing pushpins / POIs etc.

Unfortunately with the search you will get Autoroute and 2010, so will have to wade through quite a few thread headers.

I am quite impressed with the speed of response very quick, MUCH improved !! over the previous version (Thx to the guys in the backroom IT dept ;-) )

Unless anyone knows different there is no "Auroroute 2010" or Autoroute+2010 to streamline the search.

Rgds

Corky 8 - 2010-11-22 6:19 PM

Brian, Thank you for that in-depth description I,m obliged, I did read everything you wrote on the Autoroute in the Search Facility ,I,m now undecided on the GPS side of Autoroute as I have two Sat nav,s already, the one I bought and the one fitted in the Motorhome we just bought , But I now think Autoroute would be a useful tool to have.  Having a sat Nav I still consult the Map, old habits die hard,  Thanks again Brian               Dennis

We find the GPS invaluable & providing you have a passenger to hold the Netbook it works a treat apart from the American voice commands.

Even if you don't use it to navigate by at least when you get lost or go wrong you can see exactly where you are on a decent size map.

I wouldn't bother with the Bluetooth GPS, Bluetooth is far too iffy best to get a USB one.

You could also connect to the second input on your reversing camera monitor via a VGA TO composite converter.

There is a facility on the Autoroute site to download a free trial (Yorkshire Blood), quite a big file. I've tried it twice but it will go 3/4 through and then comes up with "an error was encountered unspecified error".

Any advice to get round this would be appreciated, preferably in idiotspeak pse.

Stuart

lennyhb - 2010-11-23 10:19 PM

Never had a downloading from the MS site. What download speed are you getting & is your broadband connect solid?

You can use the map files from the 2010 version to update 2007.

On broadband, no problem with download, bit longwinded but get that ok, its the next part where I run into problems, there is plenty of hard disc capacity so its not there.My present one is 2001 version!

Stuart

lennyhb - 2010-11-25 3:12 PM

Stuart, do you mean you are having problems installing?

What operating system are you using also what CPU & how much ram?

Lenny, I can download files OK but cannot install for some reason, I am using XP on a Dell laptop, free disc space is shown as 32GB.

Stuart

Your "free" disc space may not be actually free space seen by the installation program for Autoroute.

It might be worth running Cclean or similar to ensure that the free space is usable.

There is a Forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21253&posts=14 which discuses the program if you are a little wary of installing this type of software.

32 gig should be more than enough to expand the program into, it would seem to me that the temporary files used are not being created either due to lack of space or overzealous antivirus software.

Be happy that you are virus free, disconnect from the internet, switch of the antivirus and try installing the files.

REMEMBER to start up the antivirus when you have finished, then reconnect to the internet. ( Seems obvious, but wood for the trees ect !)

Regards

Edit PS Meant to ask if you are getting any error messages ? Or is the system just hanging ?

tonyishuk - 2010-11-26 2:28 PM

Your "free" disc space may not be actually free space seen by the installation program for Autoroute.

It might be worth running Cclean or similar to ensure that the free space is usable.

There is a Forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=21253&posts=14 which discuses the program if you are a little wary of installing this type of software.

32 gig should be more than enough to expand the program into, it would seem to me that the temporary files used are not being created either due to lack of space or overzealous antivirus software.

Be happy that you are virus free, disconnect from the internet, switch of the antivirus and try installing the files.

REMEMBER to start up the antivirus when you have finished, then reconnect to the internet. ( Seems obvious, but wood for the trees ect !)

Regards

Edit PS Meant to ask if you are getting any error messages ? Or is the system just hanging ?

I do get an error message, see above, but I'll try your suggestions. Sorry to hog the thread

Stuart

bakersboy - 2010-11-27 2:42 PM .......... I do get an error message, see above, but I'll try your suggestions. Sorry to hog the thread Stuart

I assume you must be on broadband, so I wonder if your supplier limits download sizes, either individually or by monthly limit.

I wonder if anything in/on your system is set to cut the connection after a specified time.  I seem to remember that XP sometimes needs telling the bleedin' obvious.  Is your XP fully up to date: all service packs etc?

It just seems odd that it is the download that fails, not the installation.  Do you have an application called something like Download Manager?  It monitors the download and allows you to go back to where it left off if it fails and just carry on.

Brian Kirby - 2010-11-27 3:21 PM

Brian, the download seems to be ok, the problem is installation. It will run alright until about 3/4 way through and then it shuts down and I get "An error was encountered unspecified error" message.

I am on Virgin broadband but sure the problem is not there.

Stuart

Archived