Winter heating

Mel B

Guest JudgeMental

wouldn't trust a fan heater for unmonitored use in a camper:-S probably cost a fortune as would always be kicking in anyway *-)

Thanks Mel might try and get one on Thursday :-D

JudgeMental - 2010-11-23 7:32 PM

wouldn't trust a fan heater for unmonitored use in a camper:-S probably cost a fortune as would always be kicking in anyway *-)

Thanks Mel might try and get one on Thursday :-D

I'm not sure I'd trust you for unmonitored use in a camper J :-D

Apparently it oscilates as well

:D

I think you will find running costs as good with fan heater as any other form of electric heating, watt for watt, in fact because a fan heater moves the air very quickly you would get a better heat differential, therefor more eficiant, after all a oil filled rad has to heat the oil before you get much heat

Guest JudgeMental
trooper - 2010-11-23 8:11 PM

I think you will find running costs as good with fan heater as any other form of electric heating, watt for watt, in fact because a fan heater moves the air very quickly you would get a better heat differential, therefor more eficiant, after all a oil filled rad has to heat the oil before you get much heat

and a fan heater has a motor to run? as well as an element to heat up *-)

The oil heater is 800 watt MAX? and the fan heater 2000 watts?. its not for people heating for goodness sake, but background trickle heat to protect an empty motorhome? :-S

JudgeMental - 2010-11-23 9:20 PM

trooper - 2010-11-23 8:11 PM

The oil heater is 800 watt MAX? and the fan heater 2000 watts?. its not for people heating for goodness sake, but background trickle heat to protect an empty motorhome? :-S

can't comment on efficiency - but fan heaters can also run at 1000watts,

we've got one - fan heater does act quicker than oil radiator, and is smaller and weighs less

depends what you want one for, horses for courses etc

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-11-23 9:20 PM

True. But all the wattage used by the motor will still end up as heat, dissipated into the surroundings. Same as the heating element.

We use a 750W oil filled radiator to keep the van aired on the drive, weight doesn't matter as we don't take it with us when we go away in the van.

I certainly wouldn't leave a fan heater unattended I known they have thermal cut outs & should be safe I just don't trust them.

I have not long purchased a 450 watt oil heater from Argos and have it set on its lowest setting. It is giving off a gentle heat, though quite warm to the touch. With this weather it is left on all the while, I feel it will keep the cold dampness out of the van while it is not in use.

It cost under £23 and is partly being being funded by the Winter Fuel Allowence. (lol)

Guest JudgeMental
deerhound - 2010-11-24 2:47 PM

What is wrong with leaving the fitted heater already in the motorhome on at night setting? (?)

the general consensus seems to be that why use, and risk problems with a hi tech £400 plus Truma heater, when a £20 oil filled will do the job.....

I am talking about when van not in use...not while travelling? I would then use the van heating....

Good question, the only thing that stops me going down that route is my Truma heater is fitted to the side of the lower wardrobe and although if left on for days on end I would be thinking of heat build up inside the lower wardrobe.

Truma do advise also that the blow heating should be on as well to help disapate any overheating.

Also I feel happier to let a supplementry heat source take that wear, knowing my expensive Truma heater would cost an arm and a leg to have repaired if it broke down, probably while away when it could not be fixed very easily.

My Hymer 614 is 'winterised' and has a double floor.

Good in some ways, not so in others.

If I leave an electric heater (blower or oil rad) on in the living area I don't think that the heat will transfer into lower floor where the cold water tank and pipes reside.

The only way to heat that area would be to leave the Truma blown air on (low setting). I'm loathe to do this.

The moral is...make sure your water tank / pipes are empty,....then use an electric heater in the living area !

Allen

For goodness sake!!!!! *-)

I have a small fan heater and an oil filled radiator.

When away I would use the oil filled radiator overnight, or during the day just to keep the van at a constant temperature if we were out for a short while. If the radiator hadn't been on I'd use a fan heater to get the temperature up first and then use the radiator to keep it constant.

I wouldn't use a fan heater overnight as it's too noisy but it is fine during the day to keep the chill off.

I actually have an oil filled radiator in my 'study' which is currently keeping me nicely warm - it takes less than 5 minutes to get up to temperature and whilst I agree it takes longer to warm a whole room than a fan heater would, once the temperature is raised, it keeps it nice and snug with no annoying racket.

Ok all noted, since the cold spell I have left the fitted heater on the night setting during the night for past week and find that in morning the air inside is just warm but wardrobe is not, I have kept the wardrobe and toilet door adjar, tonight due to temp I put it on early at 5pm and again all Ok. But considering the point of using the inbuilt heater it makes sense to use a cheap item instead. I will get one in morning. Testing the heating tonight to see if I can stay in it over weekend at Loch lomond. :D

Not everyone has somehwere to store the cusions etc from their motorhomes and I for one wouldn't want to try to drag the mattress off our fixed bed indoors!!! 8-)

However, we don't bother leaving heating on in the van when we're not using it, never have with any of them and have never had a problem, but some people like to do that, hence my posting about the cheap heater for them. :-D

Mel B - 2010-11-24 6:36 PM

For goodness sake!!!!! *-)

I have a small fan heater and an oil filled radiator.

When away I would use the oil filled radiator overnight, or during the day just to keep the van at a constant temperature if we were out for a short while. If the radiator hadn't been on I'd use a fan heater to get the temperature up first and then use the radiator to keep it constant.

I wouldn't use a fan heater overnight as it's too noisy but it is fine during the day to keep the chill off.

I actually have an oil filled radiator in my 'study' which is currently keeping me nicely warm - it takes less than 5 minutes to get up to temperature and whilst I agree it takes longer to warm a whole room than a fan heater would, once the temperature is raised, it keeps it nice and snug with no annoying racket.

I do exctly the same as you mel, little oil heater works a treat and we certainly needed it the last few weekends away :-D

Guest pelmetman

We have this heater in our van, which my F/inlaw fitted. It came out of their 60's bungalow not sure what it is :D must be pretty ancient though.

Its ideal as when we have hookup it keeps the van nice and warm and doesn't draw too much current as we can still boil the electric kettle without tripping the leccy :-D

DSC00052web.jpg.04d20fcd79b0e218e068f1d06c883510.jpg

Archived