Chatsworth House local info please

LordThornber

Hello all, we will be staying on the CC site soon and have nil experience of the area.

From what I can Google it looks like a mile into the nearest Village of Baslow. Is it worth a walk there, for a nice pub/restaurant/look around?Yes I know we can Google, but just looking and preferring any personal experiences please.

We don't move the van and the bikes won't be going neither (brrrrrrr), so any tips for any good walks or an odd bus ride in the locality?

Many thanks as ever,

Martyn.

Guest pelmetman

We were at Chatsworth CC in October.

There is a gate from the site that leads you straight onto the Estate where you can walk for miles. Only 10 to 15 minute walk to Chatsworth House where there are places to eat but we were not at all impressed with the standard of food on offer.

This site is always packed and the ground can be quite boggy, a lot of the pitches are under trees so they never get a chance to dry out.

The wardens are really friendly and helpful. Hope you enjoy your stay Martyn.

Sue

There isn't much to look at in Baslow (it's only a small place) but it is easily walkable from the site (personally, I'd use a torch and the back door through to the park).

There are, however, a surprising number of places to eat; two pubs, the Devonshire and the Wheatsheaf (I've had good food at the former, but some time ago, and reviews appear a bit mixed at the moment); a bar cum restaurant, Rowleys, which is relatively new, but being run by Fischers the food is probably going to be OK; a hotel, The Cavendish, a bit up-market, and owned by the Chatsworth estate; an Italian restaurant, Il Lupo, which has been there for years and I can't tell you anything about.

If you really want to push the boat out, you could book a table at Fischers at Baslow Hall which is a Michelin starred establishment, and I've had some of the best meals out I've ever had in the UK. (But it isn't cheap :-( ) It's also a bit more of a walk as it is the opposite end of the village.

Plenty of walking around the park, but if you want something a bit further, try Baslow and Curbar edges for the views, or through the park and the woods to the SW and then back via Bakewell for a tareget and another town to see. (map(s) required for both).

If it's not walkable, possibly the most viable bus trip is to Chesterfield, though there is a limit to the amount of time you'd want to spend there, it does have some sights, including the iconic crooked spire.

HTH

Martyn

We last went to Chatsworth in December 2008. If its your thing the the Big House is not fully open but does have part of the house decorated for Christmas. You can also look round the gardens which are a delight at any time of year. There are some lovely walks in the park and for good views its worth climbing up to the Hunting Lodge. Another nice walk is to Edensor Estate Village. I have some pictures on my website under 2008 and 2003 in the Travels in the UK section.

David

It's quite simple you can walk out of Chatsworth in almost any direction and either make it a circular walk or walk out and get a bus back. Walk round the edges to the Robin Hood pub stop for a good quality and well priced meal then cross the road and walk back over the fields along well defined paths to the site. The views on the trip out from the top of the edges are magnificent.

We use a GPS system for walking with downloaded maps and routes but there are so many walks out of the site one could stay there for weeks and do a different walk every day. It is well worth investing in a good map for this location.

Last time we were there the site would not accept our newspaper vouchers which meant quite a walk in the mornings to get a paper. This is not an uncommon problem so we have now invested in a good quality folding bike to overcome this problem. I've worked out that providing I live to be around 487 years old the bike will pay for itself@

• 2 weeks later...

Well as some have you will have noticed, we didn't get to Chatsworth because of the inclement weather, so I can't report on the place.

I understand the House closed for the 1st time ever owing to the weather.

We'll save it up for another day but thanks again to all who responded.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2010-12-08 9:59 AM

Well as some have you will have noticed, we didn't get to Chatsworth because of the inclement weather, so I can't report on the place.

I understand the House closed for the 1st time ever owing to the weather.

We'll save it up for another day but thanks again to all who responded.

Martyn

Martyn

Thats a shame but at least the Big House and grounds are worth a visit at any time of year. We were meant to be going to Bath for the Christmas Market but decided against it.

David

Archived