ferry rates

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Looking to maybe go to Germany in a week or so via Norfolkline

over 2.4 high and nearly 7 m was £23 each way with charges total = £63

that is for a 5 day return.

so I thought I would put in for my doensised panel van......Happy to see as under 2.4 £11 each way! Great! I thought, less happy to see a whopping £30 supplement for being 6 m instead of 5m brought it up to £63! Yes a whole £ more then my coachbuilt! :-S

Edit: me stupid........panel van over 2.4 as well so my mistake, but still! :D

I notice there has been no offers of note yet on ferries for next year. Well not whilst I've been looking anyway...

I've viewed the usual suspects on a regular basis, for next July I've not been able to get under £100 yet even for a poxy Dover - Calais sailing. As for Portsmouth - Le Havre, forget it.

Has anyone else got lucky yet or is too early?

Martyn

If you are members you can get a good deal from the Caravan Club at the moment for a crossing via DFDS (was Norfolk Line) Dover-Dunkirk: book before 15/12/10 for travel ANYTIME during the following 12 months and get each way for £37 the only condition, AFAICS, is that you must travel out on Sunday and return on a Friday, although you can choose any sailing time. They quote car + caravan up to 12metre length so those towing could benefit as well.

I hope this helps.

We checked the price Plymouth Santander for 31 Aug next year 6.5 m van and 2 recliner seats for overnight . they quoted me £426 pounds one way. I Think i will stick with the shuttle as i get 12 % discount as the Familly business books our buses on the shuttle. The ferry will not do discount...

Guest JudgeMental
davew - 2010-11-25 11:05 PM

I've just bought a SeaFrance carnet for Dover/Calais - £207 for 6 crossings (3 returns). To be used within the year - which we will.

but they have terms and conditions that dont suit all....me included

JudgeMental - 2010-11-26 12:49 AM

I've just bought a SeaFrance carnet for Dover/Calais - £207 for 6 crossings (3 returns). To be used within the year - which we will.

Which conditions were they? - Just in case I've missed something!!!! (!)

(There's some minor time limitations on bank holidays for example and there's a £5 supplement during peak summer )

Thanks

Philjp - 2010-11-25 12:01 PM

We checked the price Plymouth Santander for 31 Aug next year 6.5 m van and 2 recliner seats for overnight . they quoted me £426 pounds one way. I Think i will stick with the shuttle as i get 12 % discount as the Familly business books our buses on the shuttle. The ferry will not do discount...

Brittany Ferries may not offer discounted fares if you book directly with the company, but you should be able to obtain, say, 10% off on-line quotations via an intermediary like MTC:

http://www.ferrytickets.net

Guest JudgeMental
davew - 2010-11-26 7:51 AM

(There's some minor time limitations on bank holidays for example and there's a £5 supplement during peak summer )

Thanks

Minor? all school holidays minor? My wife is in education and we have teenagers in full time education so always peak times seafrance is simply a non starter IMO

£25 each way on peak days? if I travel eurotunnel they have peak times not days so can still travel cheap if you go in the evening any day. Norfolk line far more reasonable as well.......

"A supplement of up to £25 applies when booking peak dates and times - A £5 summer supplement is applicable from 22 July to 31 August 2011. Full details are specified below"

"Supplements apply for motorhomes (an additional supplement applies for motorhomes over 8 metres in length)"

and guess what these dates apply to all school holidays*-)

JudgeMental - 2010-11-26 8:58 AM

davew - 2010-11-26 7:51 AM

Thanks

Minor? all school holidays minor? My wife is in education and we have teenagers in full time education so always peak times seafrance is simply a non starter IMO

£25 each way on peak days? if I travel eurotunnel they have peak times not days so can still travel cheap if you go in the evening any day. Norfolk line far more reasonable as well.......

"A supplement of up to £25 applies when booking peak dates and times - A £5 summer supplement is applicable from 22 July to 31 August 2011. Full details are specified below"

"Supplements apply for motorhomes (an additional supplement applies for motorhomes over 8 metres in length)"

and guess what these dates apply to all school holidays*-)

For crying out loud, are you always so aggressive? Calm down man.

The carnet suits me fine. I suggest it would suit a large proportion of motorhomers just fine - given that those who work in education or have school age children will be in a minority.

There are a couple of days on each school holiday where if you want to travel there's a £25 supplement. On some of the more popular "school holiday" days around the start of the summer holidays, you can travel "off peak" without attracting a supplement. Personally, those are days I would wish to avoid anyway.

The £5 summer supplement applies from mid July to the end of August (from memory). This will mean that one of my 6 journeys will cost an additional £5.

My £207 paid included the motorhome supplement. With the carnet, I don't need to pre-book sailings either. I just turn up at the dock and sail on the next boat - this also suits me.

For our journey out to Spain in January, returning in March, the best looking deal seemed to be about £100 (Dover/Calais). For these reasons I was happy to buy the carnet but I fully accept that your circumstances are different and it would not suit you. Thankyou and keep smiling :D

Guest JudgeMental

"For crying out loud, are you always so aggressive?"

Yes!lol tenacious I believe not aggressive :-D

But come on, for a lot it is not a good deal. for instance 5 day trip in a few weeks Norfolkline £54 your lot almost double (not peak)

Just a bit irksome when someone posts that they have discovered a good deal when in fact there are so many conditions it is anything but.......

Derek Uzzell - 2010-11-26 8:21 AM

Brittany Ferries may not offer discounted fares if you book directly with the company, but you should be able to obtain, say, 10% off on-line quotations via an intermediary like MTC:

http://www.ferrytickets.net

We have been looking at a single trip back from Spain next year and CC quoted £463 and ferrysavers £440 for the same crossing :'(

Just received the Caravan Club 2011 touring brochure and they claim you can get a better deal if you book an inclusive holiday i.e. buy 7 or more Camping Cheques plus the ferry.

Has anyone done this?

We intend to travel out Dover Calais

Steve

JudgeMental - 2010-11-26 1:27 PM

But come on, for a lot it is not a good deal. for instance 5 day trip in a few weeks Norfolkline £54 your lot almost double (not peak)

Just a bit irksome when someone posts that they have discovered a good deal when in fact there are so many conditions it is anything but.......

I didn't post that I had found a good deal - I metioned it in a conversational sort of way.

I anticipate paying one £5 supplement, making a total payment of £212 for 3 return trips with a large m/home - £71 per trip. Inflation proof, no booking, turn up and sail - "suits me", that's what I said.

Have just looked at Norfolk Lines and for the dates I want the return fare is £84 (I don't want a 5 day deal thankyou).

Still smiling :D :D

pelmetman - 2010-11-26 12:54 PM

Where do you get a Carnet from please and how much does it cost?

Sue

Sue, It cost me £207 from SeaFrance for 6 journeys (3 returns). One of my return journeys will attract a £5 surcharge, being in the peak summer period.

Book more journeys and the price per journey reduces. They have to be taken within one year. The clock starts ticking when you make your first sailing (mine will be end of Jan) and I can take the last outward journey (not the return) 364 days later. the final return journey can be outside of the year.

You can't book it on line, you have to do it by phone - 08714237119

Guest Peter James

I can see ferry prices more likely to rise than fall, with overcapacity being reduced (Speedferries and LD lines gone)

Seafrance are in administration, but owned by the French Government so unlikely to default IMO. But pay by credit card just to be sure.

email them and ask them to ring you rather than using the rip off 0871 number.

I've found whatever route you look at, at present the CC do a better deal than direct with ferry company I saved almost £200 on Hull -Zeebrugge for Easter week next year and got 7 camping cheques thrown in. Not that I use sites very often if at all but if they're free I might as well

Mike

Archived