ferry rates

Guest JudgeMental

Guest Peter James
derek500 - 2010-11-27 10:22 AM

Peter James - 2010-11-26 8:33 PM

email them and ask them to ring you rather than using the rip off 0871 number.

....or find a geographical number on

http://www.saynoto0870.com/companysearch.php

The only other one I could find for Seafrance is a French number.

I would also be a bit careful with that website as anybody can suggest numbers and I don't know if it could be scammers giving a fake number and taking your credit card details?

Great idea for other numbers though. Government agencies like jobcentres use 0870 numbers which cost 30 times as much as a normal number from BT payphones. I don't know what the regulator Ofrip or whoever they are is doing about that.

Peter James - 2010-11-26 7:33 PM I can see ferry prices more likely to rise than fall, with overcapacity being reduced (Speedferries and LD lines gone) Seafrance are in administration, but owned by the French Government so unlikely to default IMO. But pay by credit card just to be sure. email them and ask them to ring you rather than using the rip off 0871 number.

LD has only withdrawn the Dover-Boulogne service.  They are still running Newhaven Dieppe, and others.

Guest Peter James
derek500 - 2010-11-27 3:50 PM

Peter James - 2010-11-27 2:09 PM

The only other one I could find for Seafrance is a French number.

From Saynoto0870:- 01304 828300 and ask for reservations.

Thanks for that Derek, (I didn't find it when I looked)

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2010-11-27 4:40 PM
Peter James - 2010-11-26 7:33 PM I can see ferry prices more likely to rise than fall, with overcapacity being reduced (Speedferries and LD lines gone) Seafrance are in administration, but owned by the French Government so unlikely to default IMO. But pay by credit card just to be sure. email them and ask them to ring you rather than using the rip off 0871 number.

LD has only withdrawn the Dover-Boulogne service.  They are still running Newhaven Dieppe, and others.

Thanks for pointing it out, I should have said that. I prefer the short crossings so I only look at Dover/Folkestone.

Hi, DFDS dover crossings. They are offering multi trip fares, totally flexible,"Can be shared with your friends" "any crossing", 3 or 4 crossings at 29 pounds each way, up to 12 crossings for 19 pounds each way.

Does this mean that someone could buy 12 crossings for 12*19 pounds and then pass them around friends, it seems so, but anyone any other views

tonyg3nwl

Guest JudgeMental
tonyg3nwl - 2010-11-28 9:47 AM

Hi, DFDS dover crossings. They are offering multi trip fares, totally flexible,"Can be shared with your friends" "any crossing", 3 or 4 crossings at 29 pounds each way, up to 12 crossings for 19 pounds each way.

Does this mean that someone could buy 12 crossings for 12*19 pounds and then pass them around friends, it seems so, but anyone any other views

tonyg3nwl

Again....hardly "totally flexible" very restrictive on days of travel around holiday periods and only open to camper under 2.4 m high and 5 m long? *-)

a bit like seafrance to many rules...OK if you travel outside peak but no problem with getting resonable deals at these times anyway? No for a trullly flexabile frequent traveller deal the tunnel is best IMO where times are restricted not whole days and periods!

Norfolkline multi-Trip Offers:

Car and up to 4 people, any length of stay

* Bronze: £29 each way* valid for 3 to 4 return trips

* Silver: £24 each way* valid for 5 to 8 return trips

* Gold: £21 each way* valid for 9 to 11 return trips

* Platinum: £19 each way* valid for 12 or more return trips

Book by 30th November 2010 for travel up to 15 December 2011.

Valid for RETURN bookings only.

^Supplements

A £24 each way high season ‘peak’ supplement applies to all departures on the following dates:

Ex. Dover: Christmas 2010 16th December 2010 – 5th January 2011

Easter 2011 8th April 2011 – 25th April 2011

Whitsun 2011 27th May 2011 - 30th May 2011

Summer 2011 (Sat/Sun Only) 23rd July 2011 - 4th September 2011

(06.00 - 18.00 only)

Ex. Dunkirk: Christmas 2010 26th December 2010 - 10th January 2011

Easter 2011 15th April 2011 - 2nd May 2011

Whitsun 2011 30th May 2011 - 6th June 2011

Summer 2011 (Sat/Sun Only) 23rd July 2011 - 4th September 2011

(14.01 - 22.01 only)

Exceptions

No availability on the following sailings:

Ex Dover: Fri 17th December 2010 14.00 - 23.59

Sat 18th December 2010 All day

Sun 19th December 2010 02.00 - 12.00

Mon 20th December 2010 14.00 - 23.59

Tue 21 December 2010 14.00 - 23.59

Wed 22 December 2010 14.00 - 23.59

Thu 23 December 2010 14.00 - 23.59

Ex Dunkirk: Sat 1st January 2011 All day

Sun 2nd January 2011 All day

Mon 3rd January 2011 All day

Tue 4th January 2011 All day

PHONE BOOKINGS ONLY ON 0871 574 7223

* Terms & Conditions

Offer subject to availability and only valid when used as part of a return booking. Bookings must be made by 30th November 2010 for travel up to 15/12/11. From fares quoted include fuel surcharges and are valid for travel on any off-peak sailing. ^A £24 each way high season 'peak' supplement applies to all departures on the following dates;

Ex Dover: 16/12/10 - 05/01/11; 08/04/11 - 25/04/11; 27/05/11 - 30/05/11; 23/07/11 - 04/09/11 (Sat & Sun, 06.00 - 18.00 only);

Ex Dunkirk: 26/12/10 - 10/01/11; 15/04/11 - 02/05/11; 30/05/11 - 06/06/11; 23/07/11 (Sat & Sun, 14.01-22.01 only)

Additional passenger £7.50 per person/child, each way (infants free). Offer not available online. No telephone booking fee applies. No amendment fees apply. Fare available for car/motorhomes under 2.4m high and less than 5m in length, motorbikes and motorbike + trailer/sidecar combinations. Bookings are non refundable. Norfolkline terms and conditions apply (see website for full details).

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-11-28 11:23 AM

a bit like seafrance to many rules...OK if you travel outside peak but no problem with getting resonable deals at these times anyway?

There is for me because I don't have internet access in the van to book in advance on the way home. If you just turn up at the port without a voucher they will charge you rip off prices because they know they have got you by the b*******

Guest JudgeMental
Peter James - 2010-11-28 12:18 PM

a bit like seafrance to many rules...OK if you travel outside peak but no problem with getting resonable deals at these times anyway?

There is for me because I don't have internet access in the van to book in advance on the way home. If you just turn up at the port without a voucher they will charge you rip off prices because they know they have got you by the b*******

You just call them using a telephone? *-)

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-11-28 12:59 PM

You just call them using a telephone? *-)

Must admit I've never tried :$ but presumably you wouldn't get online prices?

Last time I went across I called in the ticket offices in Calais just to see what they would charge and was told there was a minimum charge of 145 Euros day or night 8-) This was at a time when you could get a crossing for about £40 online. (I had just paid £32 to travel out)

I was told its cheaper to book at the Seafrance or P&O offices in Calais town centre than at the Calais port, but nothing beats online prices.

Similar situation in Dover where I went to Dover library to book a P&O crossing online at a far lower price than was offered at the port ticket office.

So even if these vouchers are charging prices I could have got online, its still a big plus for me to just be able to turn up and go on the next ferry without being ripped off.

Tried Sea France and DFDS Line recently but very quickly returned to the Tunnel - Last trip - booked Sea France to tow trailer and ride on mower behind the car to France but weather was awful so booked tunnel as well 24 hours before departure (No refund from Sea France £52 fare but we knew we could cancel tunnel with no penalty). We did in fact cancel the tunnel booking as weather improved so sea crossings were still running - called the tunnel 2 hours before we were due to book in and no problem getting ticket refunded. We were booked at the cheap rate (£39 one way for the car, using our frequent traveller tickets) for about 1 a.m. crossing but arrived at 6.30 the evening before and were offered to wait for booked time or go in 45 minutes for £20 - out of "off peak" times - took the earlier one and were home by 9.30 and unloaded....

It has to be the tunnel for us every time now. 10 tickets at £39 each - to be used within 12 months. Any car / van. If using the motor home (no size stipulations so as small or big as you like!) we pay an extra £9 each way and if towing (car/trailer etc) another £39 each way. Maybe not always the cheapest but always the most convenient - not to mention quickest!! ;-)

Re "opportunity pricing" on channel crossings, I think they all do it!  We recently returned from Greece about 5 days early. 

Called Anek, for Igoumenitsa-Ancona crossing, all sorted on phone, pick up revised tickets at port, no charge.  Ferry about 80% full on camping deck.

Phoned Eurotunnel, who were all nicely-nicely, but we were now crossing on a Friday, which is busier, so would be £31 extra.  Agreed, and paid by 'phone/card. 

When we got to Guines there were a few cars and one motorhome - ours!  So, be warned, the tunnel is hugely busy UK bound Friday mornings, not!  :-)

tomag - 2010-11-28 6:58 AM

LD Line quoted me £158.00 for January 2nd crossing with dog Brittany Portsmouth to Santander with dog £317.00 not having to drive through France in January and monies saved on diesel a no brainer really

shop in tesco for your food and petrol/diesel and use vouchers for crossings. We have just swapped vouchers £20 for every £5 of vouchers to pay for an Irish crossing.

Why not go to an internet cafe, even in small towns the local computer shop usually offer facilities.

Guest Peter James
lennyhb - 2010-12-02 9:48 PM

Why not go to an internet cafe, even in small towns the local computer shop usually offer facilities.

Yes, thats what I do. I usually stop to visit places on the way back through France so call in at the Library or Tourist Information Office and ask where there is an internet cafe. Many of the Tourist info places in France have a computer you can use for a small charge. But they are not open very often out of season. You might also have to book your ferry days in advance to get a reasonable price. So having a voucher with which you can just turn up at the port without a booking and go on the next ferry without being ripped off would still save a lot of faffing about. So these vouchers sound worthwhile to me, even if they do charge similar rates to what I could have got by booking each crossing separately online.

Guest JudgeMental
I really like the tunnel and hate the ferries especiallly during peak! Just wish they did a 3 or 4 return deal as opposed to the 5. was going to book it again, but wife informs me a big family wedding during Whitsun (we always go to France this week :-S) so cant see us using the 5 trips.

I have been checking out Dover - Calais prices for Feb 2011 for 5.9m long by 3m high Nuevo.

Seafrance £35 each way P&O £ 38 each way, both amendable with a fee.

Seafrance ticket is a winter promotion.

But, if you want to amend the time/date they charge:

Seafrance £15 P&O £10, both plus any extra ticket cost for more expensive crossing time/date.

Bearing in mind the recent weather conditions and the difficulty of getting to Dover (or Calais) it is worth considering the amendment fee. We also tend to set off on time, but sometimes make the return trip on a different time/date.

Thus ticket plus fee :

Seafrance £50 P&O £48.

The Seafrance "Saver" and "Flexi" tickets are £44+10=£54 and £54.

Seafrance have a strange pricing policy!

So the cheapest ticket plus flexibility with a fee is P&O @ £48!

Interesting.

With the Caravan Club the P&O fare would be £35.52, BUT the last time I used them I had to phone their ticket agency in the UK from France on a mobile and they had me on hold for 30 minutes - cost £10+! By booking with the ferry company direct you get a local French number (at least for Seafrance, not sure about P&O) to amend ticket.

Life is so complicated, sometimes you have to question whether all the worry is worth it! Just pay up and enjoy the trip!

David

CHOICE - Well we are GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEN with envy, spare a thought for us poor Islanders with only one operator and so hobsons choice - if we want to leave the rock we have to pay, the worst part is that we subsidise the English and Mainland European visitors so we pay more for a return than they do. Though why people would want to come to us is beyond me with the exorbitant food prices, drinks the same if not more than England, tourism places closing faster than the rising tide; however look on the bright side, no VAT (but they charge for freight- get it!) and the one thing that is free - beautiful scenery - oh and the natives are quite friendly (on a Friday!)

We can't book more than a few months in advance during the winter as the time tables are only published until March 2011 at the moment, so taking advantage of the "cheaper" fares by booking early are a non-start and best part is the Ferry Operator is part owned by some of our States Members - and you thought your government was corrupt!

>:-)

I was waiting for that! so we do actually pay a 3% tax on everything - food and all!, but with the price of a loaf of bread coming in at between £1.50 & £2 and a litre of milk at over £1, our average shopping basket is typically 20% more than in the UK, so it's even Stevens and we still have a ferry to catch!

Oops got to heavy handed with the mouse!

Archived