Got my new oil filled heater, now where to power from?

deerhound

Got a new oil filled rad, has couple of power settings and temp control etc, rated at 1500watts, Can I use the 13amp socket on wall in motorhome to power this or should I run a seperate lead? Purchased from Comet store at £39, they say this is smallest wattage they sell? Arrived home with first heater to find the castors missing and had to make 10 mls pilgrimage to be told they are getting several returned with same problem and that assistant should have checked the package ,but as she was only part time for over Xmas period she probably couldnt be bothered! >:-(

You can use the on board socket, probably safer as well since the RCD breaker will give good protection in case of a fault.

1500w sounds a lot though, I used to use a couple of 100w bulbs in series in an old caravan I had, that gave 100w of heat and kept the inside nicely aired.

I assume that it has a lower power setting? maybe 750w? The lower setting would be more economical and set the stat to about 7 degrees C. use a thermometer to do the setting, the stats on most heaters are a bit hit and miss.

Hallii

Thanks again for all the help, was the cheapest one in Comet, I will select the number 1 setting and use thermometer to get setting. Tested the motorhome heating for 1 hour last night when temp was -5c, had setting on 1kw with blower, to cold at that for weekend ,so tonight new trial at 2kw on blower and see if I could survive over weekend up North? :D

Your 13A motorhome socket outlet will cope with up to a 3000W load, so long as you are hooked up to a 13A, or greater, supply.

Your new 1500W oil filled radiator will take 6.5A all the time it's working on maximum output setting - The time it's working being the salient point.

It doesn't really matter which power setting you use on the heater, so long as the supply is man enough. The lower setting will just take longer than the higher one to achieve whatever temperature level you select but will consume the same amount of energy in doing it.

'The rain in Spain had better fall on the plane'

Archived