removable steering wheel

clay

on my ducato bessie765 when i swivel the drivers seat its a bit of a pain as i have to drop the seat back right down to avoid the steering wheel. i have been looking at the removable wheel from marcle leasure and before i buy would appreciate any feedback on this . apart from anything else it would make an extra layer of security possibly. (?)

Clay,

This is an earlier thread that might interest you:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=15423&posts=13

I understand that your Bessacarr is roughly 10 years old, so it could have been built either on a 2001-model Ducato chassis or on a face-lifted 2002 chassis. As Marcle Leisure offers a steering-wheel 'hub' for Ducatos from 1994-2001 and a different 'hub' for Ducatos 2002-onwards, you'd need to be certain which would be appropriate for your motorhome.

I suggest you check with Marcle Leisure regarding the diameter of their steering-wheel and the relative position of the 'plane' of the removable wheel's rim with respect to the original.

By the time you've got the hub + snap-on mechanisms attached to the steering column, there's a fair chance that the new steering-wheel will be significantly closer to you as a driver than the current wheel is. This might not necessarily be a bad thing (eg. if you've got short arms!), but it's worth bearing in mind.

Clay - I have a removable wheel on my 2005 Ducato - Benimar Perseo 710CCX.

It is very easy to use and does give more space. I also remove the wheel when the van is on my driveway & keep it indoors as an extra level of security - similarly when we are on sites, we hide the wheel away.

We have to cover the the exposed hub as the back of the drivers set can rub against it and become marked. With cream leather that would be a shame! - So an old tea caddy now has a new function!

Jeremy

I bougt a removable from Wyvern Accessories for our Autocruise Vista on 2000 Peugeot Boxer to allow the driver's seat to fully swivel. It is also a good security deterrent as I also keep the wheel in the house. The insurance company is happy to record it as an extra security device, although with no further discount.

A new hub was purchased from Wyvern, when we bought a new Autocruise on 2004 Boxer, for similar reasons, and this is still in use.

However it is not possible to fit to the X250, or any vehicle with a driver airbag. :-D

I have a 2001 Fiat Ducato which I fitted with detachable wheel via a 'snap-off' kit. Only problem is that the wheel 'locks on' with the key but when you detach it, it doesn't 'lock off' (bit daft really). Consequently, leaving the detached wheel in the van is a not advisable.

Had lots of trouble getting the correct hub (which fits between the snap-off mechanism and the column). The shop in Cambridge kept coming up with the wrong one. I would have thought that with a popular model like the Ducato it wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps I went to the wrong supplier!

I had to buy a new steering wheel to fit the snap-off kit. Needless to say the holes in the wheel were too small and required drilling out to take the screws supplied with the kit!

Also the new wheel nesessitated a bit of a modification on the slip ring of the horn mechanism.

To sum up, I would suggest getting it supplied and fitted by a recommended agency. Might save a few tears!

I've had it a few years now and from the point of view of security, I think it's a worthwhile extra.

The only detachable stering-wheel kit currently marketed in the UK for Ducatos/Boxers seems to use a "Tazio Corse" wheel with a "Snap-Off" steering-column adapter. Marcle Leisure is not the only supplier, nor the cheapest. I've given a couple of alternatives below:

http://www.frontier-leisure.co.uk

http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk

www.motorcaravanning.co.uk offers the choice of a polyurethane or wood-rimmed wheel (I'm sure a forum-member was asking about adding a 'wood' wheel to his motorhome a while back for some extra bling). It also seems possible to fit a detachable wheel to air-bag-equipped Ducatos/Boxers, but probable not as a DIY exercise (and not if you've got any sense!!)

It's quite likely that, assuming a Snap-Off adapter is involved, a wide variety of different steering-wheels could be used from manufacturers like Momo or Sparco. However, you'd have to careful to ensure that any replacemnt wheel was roughly the same diameter as the original and (if my own experience of swapping steering wheels is any guide) that steering-column switches and/or the horn function aren't compromised.

Derek Uzzell - 2010-12-01 8:25 AM

..... you'd have to careful to ensure that any replacemnt wheel was roughly the same diameter as the original and (if my own experience of swapping steering wheels is any guide) that steering-column switches and/or the horn function aren't compromised.

My replacement wheel was somewhat smaller than the diameter of the original but can't say it has proved a problem in the seven years that I've been using it.

As you point out, Derek (and as I mentioned above), attention needs to be paid to the horn and other column fittings.

Archived