LA STRADA REGENT L

hymer1942

They are no good - the youngest of them is 2002!

Have a look at this.  Its all in German, but quite easy to follow the gist.  http://tinyurl.com/358pyfa 

What Philip Gunter shows, I think quite clearly (but I am sure unintentionally), are the limitations of the design.  Good lounge/diner, fair kitchen, good washroom, small fridge, and a dreadfully cramped, difficult to access bed with no headroom, in a very expensive van!  But that's just my opinion.  :-D

Then look at the Adria Twin, Barrie (or even the La Strada Avanti L).  Its only drawback, in my opinion, is that it has a two burner hob, but you could buy two for the price of one Regent!  The Avanti has a three burner hob, but a smaller fridge, and it is unclear whether a larger fridge, or a 3,500kg base, is an option - though I guess you could always ask them.  Got a rave review for quality in a recent French mag.  SP around E52,000.  Another alternative, but going the other way (but really a cleverly disguised coachbuilt), is the La Strada Nova, which offers a more practical layout, but is 50% more expensive (think around E100,000)!

However, there are a huge number of compact coachbuilts on the market, from almost every manufacturer.  Are you dedicated to just van conversions?

Which, with PVCs, brings you into conflict with the Mercedes' narrower bodyshell, that just cannot accept a viable transverse bed: hence La Strada's longitudinal drop down. 

The logical alternative would seem to be a coachbuilt on a Merc chassis.  Hence the Nova suggestion - but very expensive.  The French converter, Brisebras/3C Cartier, will do you a bespoke coachbuilt (all GRP, like the Nova) job on a Merc, but those make even the Nova look cheap!

You could also look at some of the other less mainstream German converters. They overcome the Sprinter width problem by inserting unobtrusive extension fillets into the rear panels to make the rear double bed longer, we saw the CS Rondo at a dealers near Dortmund, the quality was top notch, along with the price of course but unfortunately no UK outlets...

http://www.cs-reisemobile.de/main.htm

http://www.cs-reisemobile.de/rondo_inhalt.htm

http://www.hrz-reisemobile.de/pages/modelle.php

Pete

Guest JudgeMental

http://tiny.cc/okoxp

here is link to one with pictures there are 7 for sale on mobile.de at present

I have to agree with Brian the Adria is a well speced van with separate bed/ lounge area, so if there are 2 of you you can each do what you want? *-) if one is ill / wants a lay in/go to bed early wants/needs to stay in bed what does the other do? stand in the kitchen?:-S

Adria rear bed tips up offering large storage. 97 litre fridge, very practical van and about £35.000 fully loaded. So impressed with them at Dusseldorf I have completely changed my mind on what I was getting, and should have one before christmas.......here are some shots

299406585_adria1.jpg.7f852b2e1dfe7e291f0664d6298887db.jpg

1253250925_adria2.jpg.dfe2a75f9fb9e237c47147369d9fe493.jpg

2096591583_adria3.jpg.36f8b7d5030b1ecf776568c830f1c31d.jpg

I really accept what you say, but I am a Mercedes man, I just love them I have had 7 all told. And they useually do what it says on the box. I have had some success a chap who lives no more than 3 mile has a new La Strada Regent that I am going to see on Monday. Thanks again, just need to find a James Cook. Barrie

You'll hate me!  :-)

1 x Westfalia James Cook (C E80,000) = 2 x Adria Twin (C E40,000), depending where you buy.

James cook has 2 burner hob, 62 litre fridge, and a rather narrow bed you have to make out of a sofa, or a roof bed that is wider, but with restricted access.  Good battery provision at 2x90Ah, but 2.8 kg gas (meaning, I think, camping Gaz only!), diesel heating and hot water, water and waste reservoirs reasonable.

I have heard the present sprinter criticised for being a bit "frisky" in wind which, if correct, would presumably be exacerbated by that high top.

So, my uninvited take, is that the Adria is the better and more practical conversion and, at half the price of the Westfalia JC, whether or not on a Fiat, is the better motorhome.  Given that the furore over poor reversing has gone quiet recently, it seems reasonable to assume (at least until someone says otherwise :-)) that Fiat have now made sufficient mods for current models to be generally acceptable.  In all other respects the present Ducato gets excellent reviews, and is regarded by many to be the yardstick by which other LCVs should be judged.

Both are commercial vehicles, and both are tough.  I somehow doubt that the Sprinter based Westfalia would last twice as long as the Ducato based Adria, as doubling the price would seem to demand.  I would also suggest that one Adria, changed when the gloss has worn off, for something newer, would represent better value for money than a Westfalia kept twice as long.

You can get the Adria on a 3,500kg chassis, even with the 160 auto, and still be quids in, so I would say definitely try before you buy, because I think (with apologies) that you may possibly be tending to attach more significance to the three pointed star than it really merits. 

I'm not doubting the Sprinter may well be the better van, but most motorhomes never get the use that justifies the price differential between even basic Sprinter and Ducato vans, leave alone the 100% differentials between them when converted.  In short, it's good, Jim, but not that good! 

Sharp exit now indicated! :-D

Well Brian very well put, but when I was working International HGV the best wagon beyond any doubt was and still is the SCANIA, and the the best van and in my opinion still is the Mercedes after that its conversion choice I think the James Cook is stunning but one mans meat and all that. As for the cost one usually gets what you pay for, not always. As I said before I have had 7 Mercedes and have loved them all the one I have now S 650 Hymer with Sprintshift which is great has only done 21000 in 5 years and someone will get a great van when I sell as if it can have its got it. And if it needs it I get it, so although money does matter its not the biggest consideration. You cant take it with you [ money I mean ] But thanks for your advice and the time you have taken to explain things [ but then you always do things well ]. Barrie

Guest JudgeMental

sounds like I have convinced you to join me then Brian! :D

although I have resisted the 3 litre auto, as I also suffere from the same condition as Barry, and get everthing and hardly ever use it...but that will change! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2010-11-26 11:29 AM

Have a look at this.  Its all in German, but quite easy to follow the gist.  http://tinyurl.com/358pyfa 

What Philip Gunter shows, I think quite clearly (but I am sure unintentionally), are the limitations of the design.  Good lounge/diner, fair kitchen, good washroom, small fridge, and a dreadfully cramped, difficult to access bed with no headroom, in a very expensive van!  But that's just my opinion.  :-D

Have you actualy been in one? I have, and they are very good unless you have a gf like mine who has claustophobia when in the bed. The bed itself is a good size for a PVC, in fact one of the largest, but has little head room, but if you can get on with an overcab bed then no problems. The rest of the layout is IMO one of the best you'll get in a PVC. My only other concern would be the road handling, it's pretty much like a coachbuilt as far as thats concerned.

Brian Kirby - 2010-11-26 5:39 PM

You'll hate me!  :-)

1 x Westfalia James Cook (C E80,000) = 2 x Adria Twin (C E40,000), depending where you buy.

James cook has 2 burner hob, 62 litre fridge, and a rather narrow bed you have to make out of a sofa, or a roof bed that is wider, but with restricted access.  Good battery provision at 2x90Ah, but 2.8 kg gas (meaning, I think, camping Gaz only!), diesel heating and hot water, water and waste reservoirs reasonable.

I have heard the present sprinter criticised for being a bit "frisky" in wind which, if correct, would presumably be exacerbated by that high top.

So, my uninvited take, is that the Adria is the better and more practical conversion and, at half the price of the Westfalia JC, whether or not on a Fiat, is the better motorhome.  Given that the furore over poor reversing has gone quiet recently, it seems reasonable to assume (at least until someone says otherwise :-)) that Fiat have now made sufficient mods for current models to be generally acceptable.  In all other respects the present Ducato gets excellent reviews, and is regarded by many to be the yardstick by which other LCVs should be judged.

Both are commercial vehicles, and both are tough.  I somehow doubt that the Sprinter based Westfalia would last twice as long as the Ducato based Adria, as doubling the price would seem to demand.  I would also suggest that one Adria, changed when the gloss has worn off, for something newer, would represent better value for money than a Westfalia kept twice as long.

You can get the Adria on a 3,500kg chassis, even with the 160 auto, and still be quids in, so I would say definitely try before you buy, because I think (with apologies) that you may possibly be tending to attach more significance to the three pointed star than it really merits. 

I'm not doubting the Sprinter may well be the better van, but most motorhomes never get the use that justifies the price differential between even basic Sprinter and Ducato vans, leave alone the 100% differentials between them when converted.  In short, it's good, Jim, but not that good! 

Sharp exit now indicated! :-D

Brian,We just sold our James Cook after 5 years use and some 35,000miles, most incredible MH we have owned over 20+ years. Now, I’m not saying that Adria don’t make some pretty good MHs but they will never come close to the quality of a Westfalia. On this very forum JudgeMental speaks of this quality at every opportunity. Regarding why the Mercedes? Well first a build quality that is so respected as to make them the most popular buy chosen by the most demanding drivers and transport managers; for many years Sprinters out-sold all other commercial vehicles in the class combined. I haven’t seen recent figures but the numbers you see on the road would lead me to surmise that this is still the case. Most of the Sevel vans I see on the road are either rental vans or MH bases, neither being chosen for its longevity. Secondly a list of factory fit accessories that no other manufacturer offers, even including such as an engine pre-heater if you want, (actually a lot of Sprinters are fitted with these and once you’ve had one it is hard to learn to live without), being able to chose an automatic gearbox without having to have a 3lt engine, diff locks and much more, even 4x4. This is the chassis that people choose because such things as being able to spec the base vehicle exactly as they want is important to them and don’t want what some marketing man in Italy chooses for them. I have argued many times that when you buy a luxury car you don’t accept compromise on spec so why should you be expected to when you buy your, luxury, motorhome? This is worth a lot of money to some people where others will make do and save some wonga. BTW, I am not sure if it is still the case but on our James Cook the suspension was factory modified to counter the higher centre of gravity.Basic price for the James Cook is currently shown as €72,000 you could choose a good spec for your quoted €80,000! http://tiny.cc/ozflaYes, Jim, it is that good!Regards,

Guest JudgeMental

an S class can do 20-40 -60k a year while most motorhomes 5-10K tops

it makes no sense IMO to spend so much on a base vehicle and not use it much. Yes I love westphalia's but they have lost it a bit, over engineered when similar cheaper solutions work better. the twin single bed, slightly longer Adria/globecars are nice, and you can get the Adria in TITAN model which is very Westphalia like (plain grey) but not as bomb proof, but who really needs that.

Archived