LA STRADA REGENT L

hymer1942

Guest JudgeMental

I am hoping in our case the more compact vehicle will tend to get used more as well........my thinking being with a coachbuilt you think twice sometimes about getting it ready, and a lot of the time cant be bothered :-D

I've followed this thread with great interest, but all the time there was this nagging thought: hasn't Westphalia been on the verge of bankruptcy, having filed for insolvency last January? Maybe that is has been why there has been no mention of the new James Cook model?

Anyway that all seems to have been resolved, with the news, posted on another motorhome website/forum today, that Rapido have bought up Westphalia -- perhaps there might be some hopeful developments -- Rapido are reported as saying that they intend to invest in the company and expand its operations -- so, fingers crossed!

Colin.

Ian03/54 - 2010-11-26 7:17 PM
Brian Kirby - 2010-11-26 5:39 PM

You'll hate me!  :-)

..................... Basic price for the James Cook is currently shown as €72,000 you could choose a good spec for your quoted €80,000! http://tiny.cc/ozfla Yes, Jim, it is that good! Regards,

Well, I said you'd hate me, but it was supposed to be Barrie, not you!  :-)

I said they were good, but I still don't agree that paying twice the price for a vehicle that basically does the same job, in some respects less well, makes it good value.  But, it is just my opinion. 

Regarding price, there are just 5 for sale new at present on Mobile.de, ranging between E76,900 and E97,900, so I don't think my E80,000 was unrepresentative.  The Merc may well have a longer list of options than other vans, but remember specifying those options adds to an already high cost. 

Fundamentally, the roof bed lacks comfortable headroom (you can't sit up in bed), the convertible sofa is too narrow to be called double bed (1,300mm, against a bedding industry standard of 1,400mm), and a 67 litre fridge and a two burner hob that are too skimped to be called a kitchen.  Of course one can make do with these, but my opinion is that at the price, one should not be making do.

Many obviously don't react as I do, or Westfalia wouldn't be in business.  Even at the Adria price level I would criticise the Westfalia for those shortcomings, but at twice the price, whatever may be the quality, it is the functionality that is compromised.  I'm afraid beautifully finished, but functionally compromised, just doesn't do it for me. 

Form follows function, and function should have beauty.  Beauty without function is mere ornamentation.  But, as above, that is just my opinion.  :-D

I just don't understand why there seems to be such enthusiasm to change Barrie's mind.

If I decided I wanted to fork out £130k for an Audi R8 rather than £30k for a Golf R (either of which would be more than adequate for me to lose my driving licence big time) I certainly wouldn't take any notice of other people's 'logical' arguments.

If Barrie wants to buy a Sprinter white van wearing an expensive top-hat, then good luck to him.

Derek, as I said before its in the eye of, when I first saw the Hymer S class I thought wow that makes a statement and I think the same for the James cook as a van conversion. Thats it. When I get my hands on one to have a good and serious look at I may well change my mind or not. Barrie

Guest JudgeMental
hymer1942 - 2010-11-27 8:45 AM

Derek, as I said before its in the eye of, when I first saw the Hymer S class I thought wow that makes a statement and I think the same for the James cook as a van conversion. Thats it. When I get my hands on one to have a good and serious look at I may well change my mind or not. Barrie

and why I recommend a good show, as it gives the opportunity really find out what fits you personally and to think at leisure. I spent two days at Dusseldorf trying every facet of the panel vans, to make sure it worked for me because I am overweight. It was surprising to find that my preconceptions where changed over the 2 days, as some vans you could not stand up without sliding the table..fine at a show but in the evening with a meal and wine out?

The Adria and globecar I could negotiate from the front seat to the rear seat without moving the table, use the bathroom, and get in and out of bed easily while with some you cannot.......the devil is in the detail :-D

Guest JudgeMental
hymer1942 - 2010-11-27 12:22 PM

Thats exactly right Judge, as I said when I get my hands on one for whatever reason I might change my mind, and at the Dussledorf show I could well see something I have never heard of and think its brilliant. Barrie

show is so BIG you have to be reasonably focused unless going for a week. I had map and exhibitors plotted out before I went and 2 days was hardly enough time to take in a few panel vans, let alone the whole show...... except for the Swiss Flyer e bikes, now there is sheer luxury :D

Seems you may have to travel!  Erlangen, Near Nurnberg, Bavaria, is where all five are sited.  See here http://tinyurl.com/34eezew

About 500 miles from Calais, but it looks as though he has some fun cars as well!

This guy is a bit nearer and seems to think he has one http://tinyurl.com/36sopxd  Dentergem, south of A10, between Bruges and Ghent.  Funny website, though!!

Have fun!

Evening all, had a good look at the Regent this morning, Good looking, well put togeather and the up top bed had more headroom than I expected. But I dont think its for us, why????????????? now thats a good question, is it just the sheer loss in total space, is it going from wider to norrow or is it the climbing into the bed, to be honest I really dont know most likely a bit of each. But if we come down to a van conversion it will have to have a bed system similar to the James cook Komact last made 2008 or something on those lines. Or perhaps a James Cook but we sleep down??????????? anyway cant wait to see whats on offer at Dusseldorf.

Barrie.

Guest JudgeMental

Lets find you a van then! :-D

The Westphalia Columbus on the Fiat has a sofa/bed in back that can take bikes behind it, and the same front sofa/bed conversion you like from other westys....in 3 litre auto version I am sure you would like it. I posted some pictures from my Dusseldorf thread of the interior if you cant find them I can dig out and post again....

Guest JudgeMental

Ok OK! :D

you can "search" mobile.de by make, eg MB

I put in 2010 as well and it came up with about 34 Merc based campers from the likes of Bresler Mobil, CS Reisemobile plus westfalia all luxury jobs but compromised kitchens and fridges IMO I also think the base vehicle is pig ugly, but accept that beauty is in the eye etc..:-D

here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/2bt697j

Barrie

I assume you have to have a LHD vehicle as you seem to be ignoring UK Mercedes-converters like Murvi and IH Motorhomes?

I would have thought, with the Euro still strong against the GBP, buying a very expensive unusual LHD PVC will inevitably result in a huge depreciation hit when you eventually come to sell it.

Hi Derek and your quite right I am ignoring the right hand drives for more than one reason, firstly I have a house in France and secondly most of our time is spent in Europe. The more I think about it I must come across as quite Blinkered, tunnel if you like, 1st I wont look past a Merc, 2nd I am trying to avoid a fixed bed, and 3rd I like German stuff it mostly does what it says on the box. But I am confident I will find something to suit me at Dusseldorf. Barrie

I just noticed this forum topic and though I would add my tuppenceworth.

We spent three days at Dusseldorf this year looking at PVCs. Basically we wanted exactly the layout we have got now (a Laika Ecovip 400i A Class with an L shaped lounge) but smaller so we can go anywhere a car can go – height bars permitting. Like Hymer1942 we were looking for a LHD van with a drop down bed in a quality conversion on a quality base. Like others we looked at the La Strada Regent L, HRZ, James Cook, and CS Bresler, all on the Mercedes Sprinter base. For various reasons they all had some limitation that stopped them meeting our exacting requirements, except maybe CS who would build to order. For our lifestyle (6 months European touring per annum) the Regent L was perfect but just lacking storage for a second cassette, the Jame Cook had limited gas and water capabilities, and the HRZ had some silly storage limitations and poor drainage.

We then spent a day at the La Strada factory followed by three days at various dealers looking at the Nova M. This has a monocoque body with a garage and recessed awning giving virtually the same dimensions as a PVC if one includes an awning and bike rack on the PVC. After a lot of deliberation we have now ordered a LHD Nova M from Elite Motorhomes in the UK.

Yes, we have looked at UK manufactureres, including Young Conversions, and yes I know we could have bought two Adria or possibly even three Possl PVCs for the same money. If the La Strada meets our needs as admirably as our Laika has done over the last 7 years, then it will be money well spent and worth every penny. If we wanted an investment, then we’d buy more bricks and mortar.

Regards

Bob

Archived