Dave Hurrells motorcycle carrier

Armadillo

Hawcara - 2011-01-02 4:18 PM Been following this thread from an interest point of view. I am surprised that manufacturers do not look at the whole issue of 'rear end payload', motorcycle racks and the like. There seems a great of different ideas, ezetow, easylifter, rack, trailer. It would seem that motorcycle manufacturers are attempting to keep weights low for these purposes at least. What trailer does Bob W use(?)

My trailer is called a 'Ro Ro'. I needed a trailer that I could put the bike on and secure it single-handedly. The trailer bed is pivoted, the bike is ridden up and the front wheel locates in a 'holder'. I then pull down the front bar of the trailer to secure it in the horizontal position. I can then get off and secure the bike with rachet straps.

There is a demo of loading a motorbike on U Tube. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clive - 2011-01-01 2:20 PM

For a rack capable of taking that 250cc bike you do NOT want to start with any standard tow bar system. It aint strong enough. Its a properly designed rear chassis type extension you require with wide apart mounts.

C.

Our mechanic also does welding and he is going to have a look at the van later this week. He seems to think that if he can't do something himself then he knows someone who can. It's a start. Wish all this Christmas holiday stuff hadn't got in the way of progress.

Our first camper was Transit based and that came witha heavy duty type towing assembly,the type used on utilities vehicles(..with thick drop plates either end of a 3"+ round tube).

If you could find something along those lines(..second hand on ebay?)and the mounting plates were extended and/or some diaginal braces were fitted,it would be a good/easier starting point.. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived