Colchester's figure 8 roundabouts !!

art338

Whoever dreamed up those hazards wants ....... his ....... nailed to a post.

I met 6 of these this evening, in the dark, with shopping traffic, half the lines were worn out, could not read the directions, they are awful, I'm never going there again,

If you live there you have my sympathy.

art

Guest pelmetman

The figure of 8's are not as bad as the satellite roundabout on the East side of Colchester 8-)

That one is a hum dinger especially if you get stuck behind someone just off the ferry from the continent :D

I think Colchester got a job lot of cheap roundabouts so just put them anywhere (lol)

The worst roundabout that I have come across is:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg/250px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

The Magic Roundabout in Swindon - constructed in 1972 and consists of five mini-roundabouts arranged in a circle. It is located near the County Ground, home of Swindon Town F.C. Its name comes from the popular children's television series The Magic Roundabout. In 2009 it was voted the fourth scariest junction in Britain, in a poll by Britannia Rescue

That'll be Saddlers' Farm. Reminds me of the wheelnuts on my van!

Regarding "job lots" of roundabouts, I used to work in Nelson, Lancs and suddenly one weekend a plague of mini-roundabouts suddenly infested the place.

We came to the conclusion that someone in Highways had spilt a hole-puncher over a street map. Some jobsworth took that as his instructions for the day, and put a mini-roundabout at each point where a paper disc landed!

Tony Jones - 2010-11-30 10:14 AM

That'll be Saddlers' Farm. Reminds me of the wheelnuts on my van!

Regarding "job lots" of roundabouts, I used to work in Nelson, Lancs and suddenly one weekend a plague of mini-roundabouts suddenly infested the place.

We came to the conclusion that someone in Highways had spilt a hole-puncher over a street map. Some jobsworth took that as his instructions for the day, and put a mini-roundabout at each point where a paper disc landed!

I see that Sadlers Farm junction is now being 're-developed' and all the mini roundabouts are being taken away.

Apparently they have just worked out that they caused a lot of congestion when there is a lot of traffic. (!)

:-|

I have lived in Swindon for three and a half years now and have only had to negotiate the 'Magic Roundabout' on two occasions, not for the faint hearted. However, it is possible to avoid this nightmare unless of course you get complacent and take the wrong turning as I did on those two occasions *-) I understand that even driving instructors only take their learner drivers on it once and the test doesn't include it in the route 8-)

Archived