Northern Lights

kevin hawkins

Hi

Has anyone been to see the Northern Lights in Scotland? If so, I would be grateful for the following information:

1. What time of year did you go and did you see the lights?

2. Where did you go and where did you get the best view?

3. Were there any campsites open?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin and Kath

*-)

kevin hawkins - 2010-11-29 9:09 AM

Hi

Has anyone been to see the Northern Lights in Scotland? If so, I would be grateful for the following information:

1. What time of year did you go and did you see the lights?

2. Where did you go and where did you get the best view?

3. Were there any campsites open?

Thanks for any help.

Kevin and Kath

*-)

I suggest that you Google " Northern Lights in Scotland " - looks like there may be a lot of info on there.

1.September

2. Altandhu, 20 miles north of ullapool

3. Yes but unfortunately its since closed (Achnaihaird)

to be honest kevin, we were just holidaying with no intention of specifically looking for the old aurora borealis, we just walked out from the local bar and looked up and thought what the heck is that, I soon twigged what it was. Ive been prob 10 times to the same location, but only seen this display once

Cheers Andy

Guest Tracker

The further North you go you go the better the chance thus the North Coast seems rather a good idea for the mainland?

Sites are not plentiful but some research will soon find them if that is what makes you comfortable or you can do what many of us do and find either a site or a quiet spot as and when required.

We found May / June to be the best months but you do also need a clear night sky which is not always available in Northern Scotland!

May and June are generally also less midgy than later months - but not always!

Archived