Route through Spain

wints

We are travelling to Benidorm in mid January and would be grateful if any of you know the situation regarding the carrying of snow chains for the N121 route, Hendaye (SW France) to Pamplona, and then onto Zaragoza via the N roads.

I'm assuming the A23 (free m/w Zaragoza south to Sagunto) will be kept free of any snow / ice.

thanks

Allen

Guest JudgeMental
May I ask a question, while my current Transit based camper cannot have snow chains, what is the situation with Fiat based FWD vans? can they have chains fitted or not? :-S

JudgeMental - 2010-11-30 9:47 AM May I ask a question, while my current Transit based camper cannot have snow chains, what is the situation with Fiat based FWD vans? can they have chains fitted or not? :-S

I used Konig T2 230 Diamond Pattern snow chains on old my 2003 Fiat Ducato based Burstner motorhome.

This video shows how easy/difficult they are to fit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1sTxGby7A

My current motorhome is Transit based, why cannot it be fitted with snow chains?

Guest JudgeMental
wheels to wide I think? it clashes with inner wheel. you need to either change to narrower wheel/tyre (may as well have pair of snow tyres then) or fit something like spike spiders which dont touch inner wheel :-S

According to the AA see http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html the following advice is given

Tyre tread

Check all tyres for condition, pressure and tread depth. Where winter tyres are fitted a minimum tread depth of 3mm is required in most countries (the Czech Republic now requires 4mm). For other tyres, while the legal minimum is 1.6mm the AA recommends at least 3mm of tread for winter motoring, and certainly no less than 2mm.

Country

Winter tyres

Snow chains(5)

Andorra

RC
Austria

C(1)C(7)
Finland

M(3)P
France

C
Germany

R(4)C
Great Britain

P
Italy

R(4)C(8)
Norway

RC
Sweden

C(6)R
Switzerland

R(2)C

key

P = Permitted

R = Recommended

M = Mandatory

C = Compulsory. Chains should be carried and used as dictated by local signs or road conditions. Reduced speed limits may apply.

(5) - Snow chains must be fitted on at least two drive wheels. In any country snow chains may only be used where there's sufficient snow covering to avoid any possibility of damage to the road surface. A fine may be imposed if damage is caused.

wints - 2010-11-30 3:41 PM

Yes, discuss the merits / sizes of the chains, but start another thread.

Do I legally need to carry them on this route ?

Allen

Allen - there's no legal requirement to carry snow chains in Spain.

All that happens is that if, in snowy conditions, a high pass is signed "Snow Chains", you won't be allowed over it if you haven't got snow chains fitted.

But frankly, in my experience of driving in Spain: on any such high pass when there's lying snow/blizzards happening, I wouldn't want to be trying to navigate it in a motorhome, whether fitted with snow chains or not.

Hi, another thought. If you can check the weather for the Pau area and its not forcasting snow you could try the Somport tunnel which is a really nice experience. The A23 starts from the tunnel and is shorter than going via

Pamplona.

Colin

Guest Peter James
nomad - 2010-11-30 8:54 PM

Hi, another thought. If you can check the weather for the Pau area and its not forcasting snow you could try the Somport tunnel which is a really nice experience. The A23 starts from the tunnel and is shorter than going via

Pamplona.

Colin

Somport tunnel is a great route and its FREE!

I read on an internet forum there is a very pretty village railway station on the Spanish side but unfortunately I missed that. So thats on my to do list next time if I can find it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter James
Peter James - 2010-12-01 9:05 AM

nomad - 2010-11-30 8:54 PM

Pamplona.

Colin

Somport tunnel is a great route and its FREE!

I read on an internet forum there is a very pretty village railway station on the Spanish side but unfortunately I missed that. So thats on my to do list next time if I can find it.

Just discovered the famous station is at Canfranc, the main road bypasses it, but well worth a visit apparently - link http://www.forbidden-places.net/urban-exploration-canfranc-railway-station

nomad - 2010-11-30 9:54 PM

Pamplona.

Colin

Did it again today. Currently in the aire at Oloron-Sainte-Marie.

Valencia to here about 400kms, not one set of traffic lights (on the Spanish side) and free.

Left home after 9am got here about 5pm, with a couple of meal stops.

Never thought of getting snow chains but have been been brought to a halt by snow in Spain several times.

The first sign is snow ploughs parked up about every 20kms. Then snow on the hill tops in the distance followed by snow on oncoming vehicles. At this point I head for the nearest motorway. Often come to a standstill on the motorway where they have stopped all traffic at at a slip on to allow snow ploughs to clear the road ahead. Has taken from 40 mins up to 2 hours.

In Feb this year they couldn't cope with the snow north of Barcelona and I pulled into a rest area, no facilities. A couple of hours later they closed the motorway. Stayed closed for 19 hours. The dog thought it was wonderful charging up & down the carriageway.

So I wouldn't bother with snow chains but look out for parked up snow ploughs, lights flashing, driver feet up, smoking & reading the paper. Then head for the nearest motorway.

Tolls were waived when I left the motorway on it's reopening.

Guest Peter James
smifee - 2010-12-12 12:55 PM

Tolls were waived when I left the motorway on it's reopening.

I have known that happen in France several times. Bank holiday traffic, toll booths couldn't cope, people waved through without paying until the backlog was cleared. Big tolls too - Lyon to Paris.

Never known it happen at the Dartford Tunnel though. Grabbing B******* there would keep you queuing for an hour to pay a pound toll >:-(

Archived