ROUTE TO VENICE FROM CALAIS

DAMAR

Guest JudgeMental

Use the "search" function? lots of info on routes to Italy places to sdtay etc......

we have been every year for past 4. Calais - Belgium - Luxembourg - Strasbourg - Alsace - Basel - Switzerland - Italy

toll through Switzerland but a lovely route, cheap fuel Luxembourg and 2 small tolls near Strasbourg, then when you get to Italy tolls again but they are very cheap compared to France.

Given that it's the best part of 900 miles, for my style of travelling I'd be inclined to split into 3 relatively equal good driving days with two intermediate days off.

So Calais/Brussels/Aachen and then the Rhine Valley. Toll-free motorway all the way, and plenty of places to stop for a day along the Rhine.

Then Karlsruhe/Ulm/Fussen and stop for a day somewhere on the Austrian Border, or maybe Ehrwald just over in Austria, which has a lot going for it, not least the scenery. Again toll-free and almost all motorway.

Then Innsbruck, over the Brenner, Verona and Venice. It's possible to avoid the need for a motorway vignette in Austria by carefully choosing a route through Innsbruck (though under 3.5t it is not over-expensive, so probably not worth it if you don't want the route-finding hassle). There is a separate toll for use of the Brenner motorway (which can again be avoided, and a search for Brenner on this site should bring up a route that will avoid the last two). Then you're onto Italian Motorway tolls - which are somewhat more palatable than the French ones.

I am sure others will have equally good, but different, routes and styles of travel.

HTH

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8397&posts=15

Shows some thoughts from a couple of years ago about the quickest way.

We still have a late afternoon train, then stay at Gravelines then the following morning its across to Dunkirk, Lille, Luxembourg for fuel then southeast towards Saarbrucken, Permesens and Dahn for the night on a super little campsite. Then Karlsruhe, Stuttgart and Kempten before Fussen and Innsbruck. Then either a night south of Innsbruck at Natters I think or depending on progress head over the Brenner for a night near Dobbiacco for the scenic route or Chiusa for the motorway route. then onwards to Venice.

There's too much good scenery to rush this route unless you've got a limited time

cheers alan

Hi,

We've always used the A25/E42 route although the road has had lots of roadworks. They're rebuilding the old concrete road and some old parts of it have a horrible surface and jiggly ride. Some people have recommended going up to Ostend and them across to Brussels instead, as a much smoother alternative and not alot longer.

The route south of Fussen is pretty good, used by quite alot of traffic and can be busy but there's artics and all sorts use it. Once in Austria on this route if you're under 3.5t, you can either use the bypases by buying a vignette or divert thro some of the towns and avoid the vignette. You just need to keep your wits about you checking which bits of road need the vignette. Even some Austrian "motorways" look just like our bypasses, single carriageway single lanes! Its just easier to buy a vignette but the Brenner motorway has a toll as well! but not much.

Once in Italy, your route depends on the time you have and how comfortable you are with mountain roads but the Brunico, Dobbiacco, Cortina route gives you some fantastic scenery and "low" passes with no scary bits, but progress can't be too rapid because of the roads.

cheers alan

cheers alan

alan k - 2010-12-01 3:45 PM

Hi,

We've always used the A25/E42 route although the road has had lots of roadworks. They're rebuilding the old concrete road and some old parts of it have a horrible surface and jiggly ride. Some people have recommended going up to Ostend and them across to Brussels instead, as a much smoother alternative and not alot longer.

The route south of Fussen is pretty good, used by quite alot of traffic and can be busy but there's artics and all sorts use it. Once in Austria on this route if you're under 3.5t, you can either use the bypases by buying a vignette or divert thro some of the towns and avoid the vignette. You just need to keep your wits about you checking which bits of road need the vignette. Even some Austrian "motorways" look just like our bypasses, single carriageway single lanes! Its just easier to buy a vignette but the Brenner motorway has a toll as well! but not much.

cheers alan

The A25/E42 is an abomination (probably the worst main road surface I've encountered in Europe and dreadful in a motorhome). I can't wait for it to be completely renewed.

The other route to Brussels is currently better, and if heading west from there towards Aachen, the A2 cutting just north of Maastricht, is now better than the A3 via Liege that I used to use. (SatNav, even the one supplied with my 'van, now recommends A2 after road improvements).

The Fernpass, Fussen to the Inn Valley, though it rises quite high, is of a very good standard, a reasonably quick route, and vignette free all the way (and if you want to drop through Innsbruck quickly via the motorway, the Services just outside Nassereith are convenient for purchase). Used this route both ways in August/September.

Nice 'van by the way, Alan.

Couldn't possibly say what I have. :-D

DAMAR - 2010-12-01 3:05 PM

Hi again. Stdied the map and can see the route. A couple of questions: Do you head to Brussels via Lille or up to Bruge? Presumably the road from Fussen to Innsbrook is OK?

If I can tow a caravan over that route I am pretty sure a motorhome would not be a problem (lol) Once over the Fern Pass head towards Telfs but turn right towards Molz and Stams (nice campsite near the Monastery) From Stams head towards Innsbruck and follow signs for Brenner Pass. Also like Camping Natterersee as another stopping point.

David

I'd suggest you think a bit differently.  You'll need to top up on supplies en route, so you'll need some shopping time, especially before boarding the ferry at Venice, to avoid needing to shop the moment you land in Greece.  You will also need to make overnight stops en route.  You haven't indicated whether you prefer campsites, or will use aires/stellplatze/aree di sosta, or what time of year, or what time of day, you will travel.  I'd think of good stopping places roughly along your proposed line of travel, and look for a couple of places with decent supermarkets, one near Strasbourg and one near Venice, and string those together to make your route.  I can suggest campsites and supermarkets that could be used along the following route if this idea appeals.

A lot of Belgian, Luxembourg, and northern German autobahnen carry very heavy traffic skirting France to avoid tolls.  As above, much of the autobahn network in Belgium/Luxembourg is in poor condition, and prone to roadworks, traffic jams, and diversion - at least it was this year - so estimating arrival times is perilous.  Traffic levels in Germany also leave many stretches of autobahn prone to traffic jams.

You can cut across Austria via the Fern and Reschen passes, south from Fussen to Merano and Bolzano, in a day, without needing vignettes or Go-Box, by staying off the A12 in the upper Inn valley and using the B171/L6 via Landeck.

I'd therefore stay in France, and use the toll A26/A4 to Chalons en Champagne, then Vitry le Francois, St Dizier, Toul, Nancy, Luneville, to cross the Rhine just south of Strasbourg, via Kehl, and then across the Black Forest to Fussen, an on to the Fernpass.  Once through Austria, head past Merano to Bolzano, pick up A22 to Verona, then A4 to Venice.  I'd shop in France to top up for the run down to Venice, and then stock up near Venice.  Unless you plan on taking all your meals in the ferry restaurant, you'll need some supplies, and water, for the trip. 

Bear in mind that the camping deck facilities may be a bit rough, so you may not use them as much as you anticipate, and the duration is somewhere around 36 hours.  Also, you are not allowed to use gas while on board, for fairly obvious reasons - though that doesn't stop everyone, so unless you have an electric hotplate, hot food will be out, as will hot water unless you take an electric kettle, preferably max 1kW, or have an electric element on your hot water heater.

Distance: Calais port - Venice port, 890 miles.

Guest JudgeMental

838 miles my way through Switzerland and no tolls until Italy (cheap) and Swiss vignette

4 years o the trot, The roads are getting better and not a problem IMO..... Probably not driving fast enough? so feeing the poor surfaces :D

going: via Calais -Belgium - Brussels - Luxembourg - etc..

back: etc... - Luxembourg - Namur - Lille - Calais

JudgeMental - 2010-12-02 10:40 AM

838 miles my way through Switzerland and no tolls until Italy (cheap) and Swiss vignette

4 years o the trot, The roads are getting better and not a problem IMO..... Probably not driving fast enough? so feeing the poor surfaces :D

going: via Calais -Belgium - Brussels - Luxembourg - etc..

back: etc... - Luxembourg - Namur - Lille - Calais

I would use the same route. We went to Trier last week and followed that route as far as Luxembourg city. It was there that we hit the only major road works when we were diverted off the motorway as a section had been closed for improvement. I can't remember whether it was closed before or after the Metz turning.

We came back using the Aachen route which I found to be a bit more complicated and carrying more heavy lorries but still not too bad.

When we went to Croatia a couple of years ago we followed this route and went near to Venice. One of the places that we stopped was Lake Lucerne which was quite pleasant.

M

All of which makes the point I was hoping to illustrate.  There is no such thing as a "best" route, there are just routes, any of which may be "best" under certain circumstances, for certain people, at different time of the year, but may be far from best under other circumstances, for other people, or at other times of the year.  The route that is best for each of us is not best for the others, which is just as well, or we'd all be trying to slot down the same roads at the same time! 

So I'll put up with some French tolls to avoid the tedium of trying to get south of Reims off autoroute (NE France is gutty), and then try to avoid motorway type roads until into Italy, where they again become the only reasonably sane way to cover long distances.  I disliked the heavy traffic and holdups in Belgium/Luxembourg, preferring the easy, relaxed, but admittedly more expensive, snooze down the A26.  Crossing the black forest and on to Fussen is generally very attractive, but hardly quick until Memingen, where a quick blast down the A7 beckons.  To get anywhere in Italy the autostrada is pretty much essential, and not too expensive.  Off-autostrada driving is OK, but really only suitable for bimbling - though Italian driving antics can provide endless entertainment, which gets better the further south you go!

Take a map, choose some places, join them together with roads, and drive.  It'll be fine, and where it isn't, go a different way next time.  Repeat until you find the one you like - I think most of us probably already have!  :-)

Brian

I am sure that we all understand that in a discussion such as this we are only giving opinions but based on our own experiences.

I would re-iterate that my recent experience (last week) was that the Belgium/Luxembourg route is currently fairly clear of road works.

If it comes down to it I rather like the run down through the rolling southern Belgian countryside; I find the route into northern France a bit monotonous.

The more information the more informed choice.

Guest JudgeMental

I have to agree nothing wrong with Belgium route IMO either. In July/August it is relatively peaceful compared to the hectic and mad rush to the south on French toll ways!*-)

4 high summer trips in succession and no hold ups..... I have only been held up once around Brussels years ago. CHEAP fuel in Luxembourg and some lovely Aires in Belgium as well.....then back into France and the lovely Alsace region before entering Switzerland which is stunning:-D

JudgeMental - 2010-12-02 7:25 PM Brian, how much are the french tolls on your route?

Tolls only on return leg, as went via Belgium/Luxembourg on way down. 

E29.80 Chalons en Champagne: La Veuve junc, A4 - St Omer exit A26, class 2. 

Yours will be more expensive if over 3.0 metres high, as you'll then be class 3!  Cost on 20/10/2010.

cronkle - 2010-12-02 8:19 PM Brian ............I would re-iterate that my recent experience (last week) was that the Belgium/Luxembourg route is currently fairly clear of road works. If it comes down to it I rather like the run down through the rolling southern Belgian countryside; I find the route into northern France a bit monotonous. The more information the more informed choice.

Glad they've done the roadworks, because it was a complete pain when we went 25/26 August!  Liked the route: disliked the traffic and the holdups.  In retrospect, maybe the delays intensified the traffic density, making the trip unpleasant on two counts.  Second chance?  :-)

I agree the Belgian Ardennes scenery is superior to the French, and that the A26 is boring, but is is a clinically efficient (if pricey) way to get south of Reims.  Otherwise, I'd have used my preferred route A26 to Cambrai only, then via Hirson, Charleville-Mezieres, Longuyon, A4 round Metz to St Avold, then D roads to Saverne and on to Obernai.  Obernai is an excellent stopover, with a good Leclerc to re-stock.  But, it is all about personal preference and circumstance in the end.  Lots of ways down, all with advantages and disadvantages.  It's the choosing that is half the fun.  :-)

Guest JudgeMental
there are still long single line road works but traffic flow was fine in August on way back from Italy. some great food and BEER in Belgium as well :-D

In January this year I did the route through Luxembourg to Nancy then cut across through St. Die Tunnel to Colmar. The charge for a class 2 was 16 Euros. It must have gone up a lot since they modernised the tunnel. This makes a nonsense of using the free motorway up to Nancy if you are going to Basle.

Has any one used the Epinal motorway route instead as it is supposed to be a lorry route, I think I may give it a try next time.

I may add that it was snowing heavily after I turned off the motorway for Luneville with no other tyre treads on the road in the middle of the night. I think it was the aire at Luneville or very close I had to seek shelter. Most of the trip to there had been in the evening with the roads very quiet, but icy. The only incident being a mad Belgique spinning out at the side of me overtaking on the unused outer lane. I was lucky on reflection, he could have slid into the side of me but needlessly to say , he ended up in the ditch. (Just shocked not injured)

Clive.

Archived