Electric bikes

dolken

hilst we're all snowed in and have time, I thought I'd ask for your experiences of electric cycles. Due to a few hip troubles I can only ride my bike a very short distance on flat roads, so thought it would broaden my horizens if I had an electirc bike. I've done a fair bit of homework, but you can't beat first hand experience.

The model I'm thinking of buying as a Powacycle Windsor - does anyone have this or a similar model? Do they do what it says on the tin - about 20 miles on a charge, do they make gentle hills easy, are they easy to ride as they are heavier than say a regular hybrid? How do you get on charging on site - is there any problem with the electricity - we usually use CC and CCC sites so get 16 amp? Has anyone used them in Spain, if so same question about electricity.

Is there anything else I should be wary of?

Any help much appreciated.

Dol

Generally electrically assisted cycles will do exactly that. If you ellect not to pedal then consider the range given by the manufacturers as more aspirational than factual. Don't get me wrong, they do make it a lot easier for pottering about locally. We started there , then went to a couple of light weight mopeds (Yamaha QT50) as we wanted to do extend our range. Then we wanted to do propper hills (Alps) then when these were not adequate graduated to motorcycles with gears and all that. The Mrs even (eventuallly) took a motorcycle test and she is a pensioner!.

So If you start with two wheels powered who knows where you will end up?

Take care and wear a helmet.

C.

Guest JudgeMental

My e bikes are my main transport, and I love them! I have back/hip problems and they take the stress out of cycling ...flatten them there hills and put FUN back into biking!:-D

we have 2 Wisper E bikes I would recommend them highly, with 14 AH batteries they have a 40 + mile range

visit pedelec forum for in depth e bike advice.. the powercycle winsor are OK'ish but far from the besy available, a bit long in the tooth....

"Is there anything else I should be wary of? "

Yes!, Cheap no good......Good no cheap :D

Hi Dol, have had a Powacycle Windsor for over three years now and it is fabulous! Does exactly what it says it does. Have gone over 30 miles on it without any trouble - ableit this was on the Loire cycle path so all flat. But have done the hills too and it copes wonderfully. You can cycle as normal, use power assisted or ,perhaps towards the end of a journey when you know the battery will last out, use the throttle. I have cycled all my life but now have quite bad osteoarthritis in knees and hips so thought I would have to give up. This bike has given me a new lease of life - hubby too as he was having to turn around after a few miles because I was suffering- now we can both cycle all day. Have had no trouble charging, both in UK and France. If we are on a site with low amps then we charge the battery overnight when everything else except the fridge is off - just to be on safe side. Just one word of warning - always charge even if you have only pottered a few miles as we didn't just once after a couple of miles one day and it was completely flat after quite a long jaunt the next. Almost let me down. The battery doesn't suffer from being charged when not flat. So - go for it - great piece of kit - can recommend it. Hazel

Our daughter has a Powercycle Salisbury LPX which is essentially the same bike but has a crossbar instead of being a step through. It has been absolutely brilliant and she loves it. The range is greater than claimed and it actually goes faster than claimed, according to the speedo.

Make sure you have the LPX option as there are still some being sold that use the earlier battery option these are good but not as good.

We bought it for her for £399.99 + vat from Makro's and they currently have them on offer, in our local one so presumably at the others, for £459.99 +vat. So although second person information they appear to be a very good buy.

She particularly likes the power options where you switch on and it will assist your pedaling or you can use the twist grip throttle to power it without pedaling.

Bas

Some of the Powacycles are good, but many are not. The LPX Lipo batteries can also be problematical - duff cells causing controller problems etc.

You'll get what you pay for as someone else has said - and in electric bike terms you ain't paying much.

I see our old mate Judge has Wispers which are excellent. My wife and I have Ezees. Replacement batteries for these bikes cost more than a complete brand new Powacycle.

I think choice of bike depends primarily on what you want it to do. I was torn between an electric bike or a petrol scooter, but I eventually bought a bike which I think is similar in specification to the model you mentioned. There are lots of different types of electic bike available and a huge range of prices, so research and patience in your choice will pay dividends, as will lots of test rides, to find the perfect fit for you. Or indeed whether you want one at all.

We like quiet rural CL/CS sites but with a 7 metre van and UK' officialdom's anti-motorhome attitude I needed a means to get quickly to the rapidly dwindling number of village shops to buy fresh foods and newspapers as needed - such duties are delegated to me while The Boss relaxes with a good book.

We originally intended to buy a 125cc scooter but opted for an Urbanmover 36 Urban Glider electric bike with Lipol battery power, rechargeable from our 100w solar panel, 2 x 100 Ah leisure batteries and a 700W inverter.

From mains it recharges from low level in about 5 hours and on inverter about 7-8 but this latter figure reduces of course, in better weather.

I have used the bike for up to 10 miles in pedal mode with no problems and plenty of power in reserve. Just for fun I have run it for 6 miles, including very steep hills in "moped" mode and the power was getting low. (It's amusing, but very childish, to watch people's faces as you ride uphill without actually pedalling.)

The claimed range with pedals is about 22-30 miles and 10-15 in moped mode - this would depend on terrain - but I think it is a fair guestimate. Bear in mind that although some models, including mine, look like a mountain bike, the tyres are road tyres and the manufacturer states it is not suitable for "off-roading". I feel it is best on roads and cycle tracks and perhaps the better kept bridleways - the clue is in the model name on my bike! So do check carefully before you spend your money.

The battery locks to the frame and can be charged on or off the bike. Spare batteries (expensive) can be bought to enhance range. Electric bikes look extremely “nickable” so I am very careful where I park it and I have two locks in addition to the bike's ignition key lock.

Disability precludes me riding a normal bike so the Urban Mover has been a great compromise. It gives me the speed and flexibility to do the shopping - loading up the 2 large panniers I fitted works well - and means we can stay on sites for as long as we like. My wife does not ride bikes so I cannot say whether the power set up we have would cope with charging 2 bikes - I doubt it in winter, but that's just a gut feeling. Mains hook-up would cure that of course. Buying this bike meant I did not have to spend an extra £1600 on a scooter and I don't need tax and insurance. Charged from solar it conveys a veneer of green respectability if that's your thing. It weighs just 22.5Kg so I can get it in and out of the van's garage very easily and I don't have to worry about possible engine/petrol/oil smells seeping into the habitation area. Maintenance over time may not be cheaper though because I was told I will probably need a new battery every 3 years or so (but the original is still working fine after 38 months.)

You asked about weight - yes, its extra bulk makes it less wieldy than my old, normal mountain bike so that needs to be borne in mind, especially in relation to disabilty.

The downside of my choice is I cannot recapture long-forgotten youth by leaping onto a scooter and razzing into the distance on a regular basis nor sport a sweat and road-film stained parka with dodgy hood etc. Nor crucially, can I carry my wife as a passenger and go off into cities, which would be useful occasionally.

The UM36 works a treat for me but I stress it's a very individual choice, best made after a LOT of thought about what you need the mode of transport to do for you. A key tip before shelling out for an electric bike (the UM36 was £900) insist on a test ride of at least an hour so you can try it out in varying road conditions and gradients.

Bob

Guest JudgeMental

Go to a reputable dealer that has a few choices and try as many bikes as you can. Try Panasonic centre drive bikes as well (Kalkhoff and E Motion are 2) these are better hill climbers then hub motor bikes (like mine)

Also get marathon plus tyres fitted, as they are very puncture resistant... a flat on an e bike can be a chore :-D

Hi everyone, many thanks for taking the trouble to respond, your views are very helpful and have answered many of my questions.

With regards to the advice to take a test ride, i live relatively near a dealer that sells a few different manufacturers and I hope to go there in January (weather permitting) to see the varioius models and ask for a test ride. Have you been able to get a test ride reasonably easilly? This, and after service, are my main reasons for not wanting to purchase online.

Once again thanks, hope to be wizzing up hills - Ok at least moving - and keeping up with OH by next summer.

Dol

we were going to buy two electric bikes a few weeks ago on checking the weight with the battery's removed found that the bike rack on the new fiat x250 panel van conversion's  can only carry 30kg .bike rack clips and fitts on to only one door check and see what your rack will carry before buying . 

Guest JudgeMental
Thule now do a E Bike specific Tow Bar rack...a much better idea, as no heavy lifting and can be secured with heavy motorbike lock and chain through tow bar frame.....

Hello Dol. I second the advice from the Judge - I made an appointment with the dealer who had a demonstrator of the exact model of bike I had researched on line and who also had others available. I got a commitment from him in advance that I could try it out for at least an hour (I offered to hire it if necessary). It's worth checking supply lead times as well - mine was in short supply when I ordered it, but that was in the boom before the bust days of 2007 and of course it may be better now.

Bob

Bought 2 x Batribike Quartz Electric 'Folding' bicycles last year at NEC show with show discount. have used them quite a lot and found them fun to ride. The battery life will depend on how much you use the battery power ? I can use ours without the power so just like a normal bicycle but can adjust the power assist in increments Low, medium, Full or put it on to full power assist so no need to pedal. Also has gears which when used on full power doesn't half shift !!!! We simply charge the batteries in the van when on site and hooked up, generally one at a time so as not to blow the power supply.

Big Momma's reference to "without power" reminded me of an important check for your test ride Dol. Turn the power off and try peddling under your own steam - because one day you may well run out of electricity a few miles from (motor) home and you need to know if you can cope with it. My Urban Mover is rather heavy to peddle without power assistance and only has 6 gears so I am very wary of pushing the limit of the battery.

I wonder if the RAC would mind if I called.......

Bob :-D

Thanks Bob, that is something I'm aware of beacuse of the extra weight. Currently I only manage about a mile or so on flat roads/paths, so if i can do up to a ten mile return trip I'll be delighted and hope not to run out of power. So if the power runs out five miles from campsite, OH will have to go back and get the van to carry me and bike home - if this was my fault for not charging the battery, look out for major domestic on a pitch near you.

On another note, is anyone going to Southport for Christmas - will the snow hold off?

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Returning to this thread, I'm still doing my homework and it's turned out that the Powacycle Windsor is too big for my little legs.

So, I've now actually had a test ride on an Urban Mover UM55 which my budget will just about stretch to. The UM55 seems good, light and just the job for my needs once i have a throttle fitted. Any comments or experiences of this bike would be very much appreciated.

A Batribike Diamond has also caught my eye, not actually seen a real one but the same dealer also sells these, so presume he can get one for a test ride. On this one the weight seems to be an issue - any knowledge of the quality etc or comment on the weight gratefully received.

Thanks again.

By way of comparison our 50cc scooter cost £1100 brand new with 2x helmets, a lock, 2x gloves and a scooter cover. Insurance is around £100 for both of us tax is £15 ish we get around 90 miles per gallon and its lots of fun. Maybe for some peeps it may be worth considering the option.

Guest JudgeMental
dolken - 2011-02-01 2:20 PM

Judgemental

I had hoped to get more helpful responses. Being nice is both good and cheap.

A bit of a cheek! and rather pathetic......I have advised you to visit pedelec forum to get more informed advice about ebikes (lot more knowledgeable people then on here*-)) and also recommended a make that offers excellent service and brilliant customer support?

If you had bothered to follow some of the advice, you would have found out that a lot of cheap ebikes have lamentable back up and poor service but also there are some reputable makes that are not that expensive.

The problem being batteries with decent capacity's from reliable quality manufacturers cost money? 8-)

Archived