Motorhome heating

Mel B

Just a reminder to everyone who has a diesel heater for providing heat to the habitation part of their motorhome, that you have to remember to run it every so often (as advised by the manufacturer), to keep them in good nick etc. Can't remember the exact recommended length of time between running them (possibly2 weeks?) as I have 'a man' that does that for me (hubby :D ).

And for those who have gas heaters, make sure your flue is clear when you run it if its been snowing! 8-)

Mel,

Do you mean the * frost setting ?? I have an Eberspacher Combitronic, and this is my first winter with it, after reading the handbook it suggested that if EHU is available (it is) then set the * frost setting and it automatically runs the unit when the temp. drops to +5 degrees. ? as far as I know it doesn't actually start the diesel heater ? but i could be wrong ? and does that matter ? any Info. is appreciated from experieced Eberspacher users. Ray

Rayjsj - 2010-12-04 7:12 PM

Mel,

Do you mean the * frost setting ?? I have an Eberspacher Combitronic, and this is my first winter with it, after reading the handbook it suggested that if EHU is available (it is) then set the * frost setting and it automatically runs the unit when the temp. drops to +5 degrees. ? as far as I know it doesn't actually start the diesel heater ? but i could be wrong ? and does that matter ? any Info. is appreciated from experieced Eberspacher users. Ray

You could feast your eyes on the following

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-55489-days0-orderasc-0.html

and the best of luck!!!!

(Mel's Webasto heater is air-only, so doesn't need any frost protection. I think the 'run regularly' advice is similar to that given for vehicle cab air-conditioning to minimise the likelihood of internal corrosion forming and seals failing. It's best practice but, if you don't do it, it doesn't mean that the heater will necessarily break down. Conversely, if you ignored the manufacturer's advice and your heater did break down as a result, it would be your own fault.)

Hi all ... I have a confession to make ... we actually have a Eberspacher (air) heater, not a Webasto! :$ When reading the blurb Chaussons have both types and whichever is installed depends on the particular van. We thought we were going to have a Webasto but it turned out to be a Eberspacher ... I forgot to 'update' an earlier thread after we'd got the van. :D

Anyway, it's still a diesel heater and the Chausson booklet 'Maintenance Instructions' recommend it is to run it for 10 minutes every 4 weeks (not 2 ... it just seems like it!), outside of the 'heating' season (ie when we haven't been using it). This was also mentioned to my hubby when we collected the van from Highbridge, as the problems they usually have to rectify are caused because they aren't run often enough - after all they are little 'engines' at the end of the day.

Rayjsj - 2010-12-05 8:58 PM

Thanks for the link Derek, everything I needed to know....and more.

Ray

'Twas I who started that topic way back in 2008: makes interesting reading now, although unfortunately some of the pictures and links have dissapeared. I may update it with some pictures of my Combitronic Compact removed from the van and partly stripped. I don't think that I can attach photo's to this thread, or I would do.

Harvey

Mel B - 2010-12-06 9:11 PM

Hi all ... I have a confession to make ... we actually have a Eberspacher (air) heater, not a Webasto! :$ When reading the blurb Chaussons have both types and whichever is installed depends on the particular van. We thought we were going to have a Webasto but it turned out to be a Eberspacher ... I forgot to 'update' an earlier thread after we'd got the van. :D

Anyway, it's still a diesel heater and the Chausson booklet 'Maintenance Instructions' recommend it is to run it for 10 minutes every 4 weeks (not 2 ... it just seems like it!), outside of the 'heating' season (ie when we haven't been using it). This was also mentioned to my hubby when we collected the van from Highbridge, as the problems they usually have to rectify are caused because they aren't run often enough - after all they are little 'engines' at the end of the day.

I wasn't aware that Chausson was bigamous when it came to diesel-heater manufacturers, but I note (via GOOGLE) that it's been going on since at least 2008.

I think your Flash has an Airtronic 2, with a maximum output of 2200W. There's some useful stuff on the Eberspacher website:

http://www.espar.com

but you probably knew that anyway.

Thanks for the link Derek, interesting reading and especially the bit about the fuel consumption. :-D

When I'm feeling really, really bored in the camper, I could keep a record of the times and temperature setting when we use the heating the 'van, and then use the stats to work out how much fuel we have used just for heating as opposed to travelling and heating!!! :-> ;-)

The eberspatcher is certainly very economical to run, figures I beleive to be about 1/4 litre of diesel per hour once its up to temp and just maintaining. Very efficient also, if a bit noisy initially. Must remeber to run mine this weekend and the trannie engine as well, I try and do so every other week if were not away for a few weeks. Was certaily freezing in our van last weekend as a bottle of water we forgot was in there was frozen solid and our van is under cover so presumably insulated somewhat.

We had some 'interesting' frozen articles in the Rimor when we had it last winter! A bottle of shampoo had 'squirted' all over the place and the soap dispenser likewise. :D

So far, even with the much colder temperatures, we've not had anything like this in the Chausson, so all I can assume is that it's got better insulation and is therefore 'protecting' the contents better. :-D

We haven't used our van to stay in overnight since September (Season Finale Show), due to other commitments and the weather etc. Been trying to convince hubby to go away over the Christmas break but he's not biting! :-(

Archived