Taking dogs to France

magbrin

Yes the vet can give an injection instead of tablets, ours always used to have this until we found out we could take our own stuff with us which made it cheaper.

As for how much time, they do say you should arrive 60 minutes before your crossing time - remember if there's a few of you going out, you'll have to wait your turn, so it could take a while. What we do is get the dogs done then boil a kettle and make a drink in those thermal cups with lids on, drive round to the line-up for the crossing, and sit supping ... it don't half make those people in the cars envious! :D

Try not to worry about the procedure. I think the date is calculated from the positive blood test date.

My dog, who will be 10 in August, was chipped, vaccinated and blood tested when she was a young puppy and was one of the first to travel abroad before actual passports were issued. In fact we had to stay in France until she could be allowed in. In those pre-passport days it was much more complicated.

I am reliably informed by my UK vet that the rabies vaccine is valid for 3 years. You should not really forget the date (although to my shame I did once) as it will be written in the passport. This year I had to have the booster administered in France (much cheaper there) but it is only valid for one year. However, my vet checked the information and said that, as it is exactly the same vaccine as the 3-yearly one, he will enquire from Defra to see if he can alter the information written in the passport. I expect this is very doubtful but good of him to suggest it.

He also told me that moves are afoot to finish with the necessity to visit a vet before crossing the Channel back to the UK but that the administering of the medication will still be necessary but be the responsibility of the owner. I am sure though that lots of people will not bother so we can expect lots of unwelcome bugs and strange diseases in the UK in future.

Incidentally, it is not necessary to use Frontline or anything else before leaving the UK but it is very sensible to do so. Likewise, it is a good idea to protect against heartworm etc. before leaving as well as during the stay and before re-entering the UK.

Mel B - 2011-02-18 8:14 PMYes the vet can give an injection instead of tablets, ours always used to have this until we found out we could take our own stuff with us which made it cheaper.As for how much time, they do say you should arrive 60 minutes before your crossing time - remember if there's a few of you going out, you'll have to wait your turn, so it could take a while. What we do is get the dogs done then boil a kettle and make a drink in those thermal cups with lids on, drive round to the line-up for the crossing, and sit supping ... it don't half make those people in the cars envious! :D

Well, that's good news!  No need to worry about tablets then.  Our girl doesn't mind injections at all, hardly notices but the slightest sign of a tablet and you'd think we were trying to administer some deadly poison!

Yes, we usually sit in the queue eating our breakfast museli/bacon sandwich (guess who has which) and also find those insulated cups a real boon.  We find that when 'parked' on the motorway for hours we get envious stares from adjacent car drivers as well.

This will be our first time taking the dog with us, as we're going for an extended holiday I refuse to leave her, even though sometimes I think she prefers living at her 'aunty's' house where she gets really spoiled.

I have a Scalibor collar and wormer to include heartworm and will give a flea/tick booster dose before we go.

Thanks to everyone for the info; I know that all you doggie people will understand my anxiety about my girl's 1st trip abroad.

Mel B - 2011-02-19 9:47 PMMake sure that you don't do the Frontline treatment within a month of the date you'll do it at the vet just before you return - you don't want to over-dose the poor thing! :-D

Good point Mel but we'll be away from home for about 7 weeks so no problems there.

Archived