Romantica Strasse

Geoff Tuckley

What Jon says is correct it must be fixed directly to the screen.

And yes you can fit to the LHS but if you put it on the right it saves a lot of hassle if they are doing a spot check and it is where they expect it to be, not a problem on an X250 as it has such a deep screen.

Have just finalised our trip for Summer 2011. We are travelling to Bavaria and stopping at a Stellplatz on the first night of our journey just off Junction 38 of the A61 at Koblenz. The stellplatz is a car park and has 20 places for Motorhomes, it is free and has no facilities but it is right next to a Restaraunt so a meal and WC facilities ;-) From there we travel down to a site at Augsburg which has it's own lake. You can cycle around the lake to Augsburg (8km) or catch the bus right outside the campgates. From Augsburg there are trains to Munich and Salzburg. From Augsburg we travel to the largest lake in Bavaria 'Chiemsee' and stay for 7 nights before heading back via Stuttgart, to a site that is in the suburbs of the city. We then continue our journey back staying at another lake (Maria Laach) again not far from Koblenz and just off the A61 and then we finish off on a site in Bruges. The whole trip is 28 nights and we have gone for a return sailing Dover-Dunkirk which we booked through the Caravan Club. Can't wait :D

Take a look at this site www.campercontact.nl

Select your country from the sidebar and then type in a town/city and it will come back with a list of both campsites and Stellplatz/Aires.

If you click on the Union Jack at the top of the page it will give you a legend in English !!

Lenny another useful site when travelling around Germany is:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de

My Motorhome is too large to use for day trips so we rely on walking, electric bicycles or public transport. The above 'rail' site is great for checking on what is available at any of our destinations and length of journey, number of changes etc. You can also pre-book travel cards/train tickets if you so wish but I tend to just use it to research before I go to see where I can get to from my camping locations e.g. When at Augsburg I know that I can get a train to Munich which is a 35 minute rail journey and when at Chiemsee I can get a train from the local station to Salzburg, a journey of 52 minutes. Helps when planning day sightseeing trips.

For a free list of Aires and Stellplatze, we use:

http://home.arcor.de/telbus/womo-sp/ReadMe-1st_engl.html

This lists many places in Germany and other countries. It can be a bit unreliable at times, but we used it successfully this year for our trip down the Romantic Road. We stayed at the Stellplatze at Würtzburg (free), Rothenburg (€10 per 24 hours), Dinkelsbühl (€10 per 24 hours including electric), Nördlingen (free), Donawörth (free) and Füssen (€10 per 24 hours, plus €1 per shower).

The information about how and where to stick the Plakette came from the lady who sold it to me. I said that I was unhappy about attaching it directly to the windscreen as I have had two broken (one in Spain, the other in France) and wished to avoid having to buy another Plakette in the event of a third breakage.

We tend to stay clear of big towns when travelling with the Motorhome, ours is small enough to get in most German car parks at about 7m with the bikes.

If doing cites usually fly last December did 4 days & nights in Berlin for 35 quid (airport parking) used air miles for the flight & Priority Club points for free hotel nights.

See Michael's list of Stellplatz he stayed at he must of been quite lonely, when on the Moselle the better ones were 6€ and we were told you won't find many Germans on them they won't pay that much & it was true.

The great thing about all the Stellplatze that we used was their location. Just outside the walls of the towns, or in some cases inside the town itself. We are happy to pay for a good location and a short walk to where we want to visit.

We were not lonely, but as it was September / October, it was not crowded either: just the way we like it.

Big Momma - 2010-12-07 9:59 PM

Lenny another useful site when travelling around Germany is:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de

My Motorhome is too large to use for day trips so we rely on walking, electric bicycles or public transport. The above 'rail' site is great for checking on what is available at any of our destinations and length of journey, number of changes etc. You can also pre-book travel cards/train tickets if you so wish but I tend to just use it to research before I go to see where I can get to from my camping locations e.g. When at Augsburg I know that I can get a train to Munich which is a 35 minute rail journey and when at Chiemsee I can get a train from the local station to Salzburg, a journey of 52 minutes. Helps when planning day sightseeing trips.

Good site Eric, thanks for that, never seen it mentioned before.

Archived