Any 3 litre Comfortmatic owners out there?

Mike88

Mine (2010 Mondial) thumps on start up first thing in the morning only. I understand that 2.3 owners have had their engine mountings changed but am unsure whether this is available for 3 litre owners or indeed whether this is the solution. Perhaps I should do nothing.

More seriously, I have also found that when the vehicle is used for the first time each day I get a thumping noise which I can feel through the accelerator pedal for about 100 yards. For the rest of the day the vehicle operates normally. The vehicle idles OK as does the gearbox and clutch.

These matters only occur when the vehicle is first used and dealers will be unable to diagnose the problem until they can witness the fault first hand.

Has anybody else experienced similar problems? Any ideas what the problem might be?

ron. - 2010-12-08 2:19 PM

Mine also has the hump .

So does mine but it is intermittent and otherwise it is a dream to drive. I understood this is nothing to be concerned about, but I will follow this thread with interest in case someone can advise on the reason for it happening and the risks or potential damage it might cause.

Roy Fuller

On our second comfortmatic vehicle now - not experienced this on either - second one only a month old but already has been out a couple of times. A lovely van to drive and, I have to say, the first was a dream on the snow and ice last year - time to test this out again tomorrow as we are leaving deepest North Yorkshire for a few days in the mediterranean climes of the Cotswolds!

David

I assume the thump on startup is not a significant problem; its not really an issue. But I do wonder what the thumping is that I can feel through the accelerator pedal as soon as I move off which disappears after travelling a short distance. This first time this happened was in the middle of France in November and has occurred every day since first thing in the morning only.

I wonder if Nick (Euroserve) has any idea?

rolandrat - 2010-12-09 10:04 AM

It's just the initial compression stroke of the engine on start up, it's quite normal and nothing to worry about. There's a fair old lump of an engine under the bonnet raring to go, enjoy it.

What? The initial thump on start up or the thumping through the accelerator pedal when on the move?

Hello folks,

I have not experienced either the initial thump or the pulsing through the pedal that you describe.

From the moment that you open the driver's door, the gearbox begins whirring and pulsing in preparation for you starting the engine. It has to go from a rest position to standby. I suspect that the pulsing that you are feeling for a short while is just the gearbox hydraulics adjusting and settling down and I would not expect it to be anything sinister. If it ever happened after warming up I would be concerned.

You can only feel this through the pedal because it is secured to the vehicle. There is no way that anything is happening to the accelerator since this is only electrically connected to the ECU, and this responds to your inputs only. It cannot push back or pulse on it's own.

The operation of the comfort-matic unit is shrouded with mystery, and we may never fully understand the nature of it. Any electro-hydraulic device controlled by multiple computers is going to have a certain amount of fidgeting going on and anybody that ever drove a Citroen with power brakes and electro-hydraulic suspension will tell you that it is sometimes weird, but strangely effective.

I would not worry about it unless it caused gear selections that were unexpected or like I said before, it continued when the engine was warm.

Enjoy!

Nick

Archived