Don't take your Kindle out in the cold

Don Madge

I had a doctors appointment earlier this week and as the temperature was about minus 12 I decided to walk (30 minutes) to the surgery.

I took the Kindle as I allowed plenty of time and arrived early.

The Kindle would not start properly and was very slow. There was a bar/box across the centre and it took about 5 minutes to load.

I shut it down and let it warm up when I got home. I lost the page of the novel I was reading and there was nothing in the archives until I switched on the wifi and they appeared.

So be careful where you store Your Kindle in the van. Some of our lockers get quite cold in the winter.

Happy Kindling.

Don

Same goes for laptops, netbooks etc. Stuff like this does not like being chilly!

They are not meant to be out in the cold for long periods of time, even in bags, unless they are well insulated and therefore protected from the extreme cold. Even mobile phones can have problems at times.

I think what happened was the fact you accidentally re-set your Kindle by holding the on switch for more than the specified time viz. slide and let go. The feature is to allow a re-boot when things go out of sync I had to do it to mine when the green light would not switch off after charging.

It does take about 5 mins to re-set so all is ok as it is'nt the cold that did it.

Hi Don

If you need to reset your kindle, hold the on button across for at least 20 seconds, let it go and it will reboot.

Have you been on line and downloaded the latest software, that may help.

It's really annoying losing the page, mine was doing that and it had not been out in the cold. Despite having a new kindle I have noticed the last couple of days it is not filing the books in the order I am reading them in - really annoying !

On the whole though really enjoying it

(lol)

Don

You can get a copy of the latest software (ver 3.0.3) from here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200487920

I have found that it does a few things better, such as turning back a page, than the original 3.0.2 that my Kindle was supplied with.

There are simple 'how to install' notes on the above Amazon webpage.

PS, the wi-fi version is available now, so ignore the note on the webpage that says it is to be available wirelessly in a few weeks time.

Don, I'd suggest you find a way of insulating your Kindle from the cold if you intend to keep taking it 'walkies', I'm sure you can think of a way - a shoulder bag (man-bag ... they're all the rage for the 'modern' man you know :D ) with some bubble wrapped round the Kindle itself for example.

I don't think it will do it any good to keep getting overly cold - remember that even if you can re-set it and get it working again, you are taking it from one extreme of temperature to another and that could easily cause condensation to form in the internals of the beast and I doubt that it would be covered under the warranty terms.

By the way, forgot to say I bought a kindle cover when I bought my Kindle which is hard leather and has a strap that you put over to keep it shut - seems to do the job and you can still use your kindle when it's in the cover which would protect it from direct sunlight.

:-D

t5tripper - 2010-12-15 12:36 PM

By the way, forgot to say I bought a kindle cover when I bought my Kindle which is hard leather and has a strap that you put over to keep it shut - seems to do the job and you can still use your kindle when it's in the cover which would protect it from direct sunlight.

:-D

We also bought the leather covers an excellent buy.

I took the Kindle into Hull today to check out the 3G as the village (South Cave) we live in has virtually no Vodafone cover.

I kept it nice and warm in an inside pocket of a quilted jacket and all went well and everything checked out OK.

Don

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We are in Brunei and kindle works well here even in the 30C plus with %80 humidity. On to OZ on Saturday hopefully kindle will perform there as well.

The kindle was great on the long haul flights, it certainly saved space in the hand baggage.

It has been a bit of a shock with the weather going from minus double figures to plus double in 16 hours.

Safe travelling.

Don

Archived