Gaslow "Handwheel" gauge...

pepe63xnotuse

Mornin' all...

We bought a Gaslow gauge yesterday,the type that fits straight to the cylinder by way of a "handwheel"..

...But having fitting it this morning,I have to say that I'm not overly confident with the fact that,even when tightened,there is still rotational movement at the gauge..!?(..probably not helped by the fact that I can't get my hand to it that easily..)

I realise that these fittings have the rubber seal but I just wondered if anyone had had "problems" with them...?

(..I'm thinking of trying to swap it for a regulator mounted gauge..)

Chris

I assume you are referring to the "Gaslow Adapter Gauge (Propane)" pictured part way down the following webpage:

http://www.camping-gas.com/searches/manufacturerresults.php?id=Gaslow

As you are aware, this uses a rubber seal for a gas-tight joint, which is why you can get away with a hand-wheel rather than a spanner. Even if you tightened the hand-wheel pretty firmly, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some rotational movement of the gauge-unit if the gauge's male thread were a quite loose fit in the gas-cylinder's female outlet.

I guess you plan to use the gauge for leak-testing your system, as they are of little value for anything else.

Yep!..that's the one Derek..

To be honest,it was am impulse buy :$ ..a fool and his money..etc

(..having said that,the OH paid for it ,so result! ;-) )

Although it's probably fine..I'm not happy with the movement,so I will be taking it back.

(..There seems little point in having a something that can detect leaks..if I only end up worrying about a leak at the gauge itself !? *-) )

Chris

I have just swapped it for the regulator mounted type..

I dare say the handwheel gauge would've been okay..it's just that we also use the gas locker to store the water hose,hook-up cable etc,so that means the gas hose does tend to get "moved" inorder to get to stuff,so I really want any fittings to be "solid"..

Chris

I have one on each propane bottle and they work OK (Truma secure motion),

I learnt (the hard way) after 25 years of just screwing and unscrewing propane connectors, NOW I check with bubble solution every time I change a bottle.

Only takes a couple of mins, but can save hours of problems !

Rgds

Archived