what to do and see and where to stay in the Black Forest

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Summer trip 2011 being planned....down through Belgium/ Luxembourg heading for the Black Forest then onto Fussen probably via lake Constance. through Austria/Brenner pass on to Croatia, just then Istrira peninsular and maybe the Islands.....then back up to Italy to meet up with friends and family for a week at Fornella (5th year on the trot:-D) Then back.. Just over a month.

the Black Forest has always appealed, any recommendations for places to stay and visit etc.....

Hi, Useful Aire at St Omer (Arques) for first/last stop. Trier stelplatz for overnight. Luxumbourg diesel 93cent last year.

Fussen very busy, but Ludwig's Castle is a must and a walk around ,particularly over the bridge over the river behind the castle. (queens bridge??) Aire and campsite in Fussen approx 1 mile out of town centre.

Good dual carriageway over Fern Pass into Austria but boring scenery.

Camping Natterersee excellent facilities, but pricey.

dont forget Austrian motorway pass.

tonyg3nwl

The Black Forest is a big area, and its character varies quite a lot.

We've stayed in a good few places, but prefer the quieter sites and places, and have used two sites more than once.

Be aware that there now appears to be a free travel scheme for tourists in the whole of the Black Forest area, so this may make it more attractive to get somewhere quiet (but accessible) and then do some sightseeing on public transport.

The system is called Konus, and appears to be an extension of the regular Gastekarte system that is generally administered by wherever you are staying.

The whole area is pretty good for walking and cycling (particularly on the Forststrasse, which are not generally open to vehicles), but be aware that in the forest for real, you could spend a day seeing nothing but trees (pleasant for one day if it is hot, but a bit boring after that).

Baden Baden and Freiburg are worthwhile seeing as cities, but for me, the attraction is in the countryside and small towns.

In the North, we've several times used

http://www.camping-langenwald.de/en.html

It's rural, but within walking and cycling distance of Freudenstadt, which has a very attractive centre. Clear access to the forsstrasse, and there is a big Freibad swimming pool on the walk into town.

Further South, weve used

http://www.camping-steingrubenhof.de/index_en.php?lang=en

Sankt Peter is a cracking little town, with all the basic facilities you could need - including (from memory) a swimming pool. Walkable from the campsite (though downhill).

The land, though high, is much more open here, and walking gives very good views, though cycling is a good option as well.

Campsite has (like many German ones) many statics, but we've always been sited on a nice terrace with excellent views. Facilities are first class, and there is a Gasthof at the entrance for meals and drinks.

We have passed through Black Forest a couple of times and the place is pleasant without being spectacular, we will go back though. Titisee worth a short stay, sites at far end of lake but an easy walk or bike ride to village, pretty touristy but none the worse for that. Had our best black forest gateaux and coffee ever here in a cafe overlooking the lake, a few nice food shops. Town of Gengenbach is nice and a look at Triberg village with its waterfall. While you are in the area, if you have not been, I would make the small diversion to the Rhine Falls. Have not stayed on any stellplatz in the area although you can stay overnight on carparks at Titisee and at the Rhine falls. We used mostly ACSI sites which were ok, one site that we liked was in CC book 2 under Todtnau. This was Camping Hochschwarzwald, excellant facilities, lovely area, small ski station with nice walking.

These two locations will be on your route and ideal either for a stopover or longer. Have stayed at both and can recommend them for location to get out and about in local areas.

Staufen just south of Freiburg. The camp site is within close proximity (walking) of the small but very scenic town. There is a local rail station which will take you to Freiburg. Good walking and cycling.

Herbolzheim is another site within very close proximity (walking) of the small town. Real 'Black Forest' Gateau on sale in local bakery mmmmm ;-)

Large Open Air Municipal pool next door to site (Lots of grassed areas around pool).

Stayed at a couple of sites in the Black Forest this year:

Hirzberg Camping ------------Freiburg ACSI 2010 site 467

Good facilities with easy walk into town but access can be difficult with limited room for larger units. Need to arrive early in the day and avoid the closed period between 1pm and 3pm. (good English spoken)

Has restaurant and beer garden next door where we had the dubious pleasure of watching England/Germany World Cup match with 500 hundred Germans and two Spanish.

Kreuzhof -------------------Lenzkirch ACSI 2010 site 516

Excellent facilities with easy access and open pitches. Has very good shop on site and two restaurants. Site for rest or walking/cycling, not much else. (No English spoken)

Terry

Guest JudgeMental

we are only strangers to the Black forest? not the route to Italy, including Fussen where we have stayed. So...primarially interested in the forest, or other areas of interest on route to Croatia :-D

we also are e bike owners and hills not to great a problem 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
terryW - 2010-12-12 10:35 PM

If you catch it right the market is out of this world, one stall alone had at least a dozen different varieties of mushroom.

12 different mushrooms on one stall? Such excitement could well be to much for Moi! :D

JudgeMental - 2010-12-13 10:35 AM

If you catch it right the market is out of this world, one stall alone had at least a dozen different varieties of mushroom.

12 different mushrooms on one stall? Such excitement could well be to much for Moi! :D

Best you stick to the hot sausage stalls then. Unless you are a vegi I doubt you will resist walking past them all without buying at least one.

Sorry tried to add a photo but the server came back with an error

Guest JudgeMental
terryW - 2010-12-13 1:15 PM

JudgeMental - 2010-12-13 10:35 AM

Best you stick to the hot sausage stalls then. Unless you are a vegi I doubt you will resist walking past them all without buying at least one.

Sorry tried to add a photo but the server came back with an error

As my dear dear friend Oscar Wilde said "I can resist anything except temptation" :-D

was at Dusseldorf show earlier this year and they do like their sausage.......

Guest JudgeMental
Minstrel - 2010-12-15 8:22 PM

Dear Judge what campsite do you recommend?

for where? Dusseldorf? you camp on Messe site along with thousands of others :-D

Hi we went through the Black Forrest this year on return from the Ialian Lakes in mid September, the two best free aires we found (stellzplatz) were at Baden-Baden, a pleasant (25min walk) walk/cycle into the city and even though we are not strictly city folk it was well worth a visit - got an amazing ice-cream there too! The other one worth a stop was at Schiltach which is your picture perfect Black Forest town, nice little spot on the edge of the village, We will definitely return to the Black Forest again, didn't see any bears though!

JudgeMental - 2010-12-12 8:59 PM

we are only strangers to the Black forest? not the route to Italy, including Fussen where we have stayed. So...primarially interested in the forest, or other areas of interest on route to Croatia :-D

we also are e bike owners and hills not to great a problem 8-)

I would suggest you take the road up from Offenburg to Donaueshingen (The source of the Danube) as you will pass through some delightful Black Forest villages and beautiful scenery. From there you can carry on via Lorschack and pick up Lake Constance (Bodensee)as you said. You will also see all the Cuckoo clock makers on this route which is well worth a visit and a couple of breweries-WELL worth a visit!!

Mike

Hi - never mind all the mountains and wurst (sausage) you must go the the Caracalla Therma in the centre of Baden Baden. This is simply the best hot spring in Europe with indoor and outdoor pools plus interesting adults only additional saunas, hot tubs and sunbeds up the winding staircase on the first floor (compulsory no costume area!). Fantastic white marble building kept in immaculate condition with a large main pool and memorable hot waterfall pool on the side and steam room.

If you want the 'full monty' then go to the old therma buildings next door where you can enjoy all 17 stages of the full treatment including a scrub with brushes and soap. Not for the faint hearted!

Parking a MH in the centre of the town is not recommended neither is parking at the Caracalla as the superb car park is underground with a 2.5m height limit. Go to the excellent tourist information centre on the way into the town for advice on parking.

There are other thermal baths like the nearby Rota Therma which is much cheaper and attracts less French and eastern european bathers.

You must also drive the Schwartzwalderhochstrasse - scenic drive starting at Baden Baden, great views and places like the Mummlesee to enjoy. This is a small lake with circular walk and good cafe.

Finally - if you like theme parks then go to Europa Park - one of the best in this part of Europe. Easy to get to off the main N/S Karlsruhe- Basel autobahn.

Alles Gute in Deutschland!

Guest JudgeMental
Mike B. - 2010-12-16 9:09 PM

I would suggest you take the road up from Offenburg to Donaueshingen (The source of the Danube) as you will pass through some delightful Black Forest villages and beautiful scenery. From there you can carry on via Lorschack and pick up Lake Constance (Bodensee)as you said. You will also see all the Cuckoo clock makers on this route which is well worth a visit and a couple of breweries-WELL worth a visit!!

Mike

Seems like a plan and on route....Thanks Mike.

We only want a taste of the area for a few days cycling etc....

I will leave the nude bathing and trashing with birch twigs to the more Lascivious among you...... :-D

Lots of interesting information on this thread. We are thinking of a trip to the Black Forest Region for our main summer holiday. Looks like it may be busy if we are all going.

Thanks for the warning on the saunas. I got caught once when staying at the Holiday Inn Munich. After the business meeting we all had a swim in the hotel pool then decided to try the sauna. The attendant made us remove our swimming trunks before entering. Once our eyes adjusted to the steam you could see enough black forests and sausages to last you a lifetime! My british modesty has kept me from repeating the experience.

Still not as bad an experience as friend who got engaged to a Swedish girl. Visiting the parent’s house in Sweden it was suggested they all take a sauna. Brian went to his bedroom put on his swimming trunks. Entering the sauna, mum, dad and girlfriend were all sitting starkers enjoying the steam. Brian excused himself, went back to his room, removed his trunks, put on a dressing gown and returned to the sauna. Leaving his dressing gown outside he entered the sauna to find the entire family had put on swimming trunks so as not to embarrass him. What a way to get to know the future in-laws

AliB - 2010-12-17 11:44 AM

Lots of interesting information on this thread. We are thinking of a trip to the Black Forest Region for our main summer holiday. Looks like it may be busy if we are all going.

Thanks for the warning on the saunas. I got caught once when staying at the Holiday Inn Munich. After the business meeting we all had a swim in the hotel pool then decided to try the sauna. The attendant made us remove our swimming trunks before entering. Once our eyes adjusted to the steam you could see enough black forests and sausages to last you a lifetime! My british modesty has kept me from repeating the experience.

Still not as bad an experience as friend who got engaged to a Swedish girl. Visiting the parent’s house in Sweden it was suggested they all take a sauna. Brian went to his bedroom put on his swimming trunks. Entering the sauna, mum, dad and girlfriend were all sitting starkers enjoying the steam. Brian excused himself, went back to his room, removed his trunks, put on a dressing gown and returned to the sauna. Leaving his dressing gown outside he entered the sauna to find the entire family had put on swimming trunks so as not to embarrass him. What a way to get to know the future in-laws

Thank god my wife isn't Swedish! The thought of seeing my mother-in-law naked with or without steam is enough to put any man off women for life. I think I'd rather go for a swim off Sharm al sheik than witness that sight! On the other hand-if my wife had been Indian, my m-i-l would be sacred!

Mike

Judge we couldn't find a stal in the Blackforest but I suggest you buy the Bord Atlas from vicarious, we were given an old one last year by a German couple but have recently bought a 2011 one as it has all the stals I only wish we had had it when in the Black Forest area and Lake Konstance area which we drove straight through as we didn't find the sites to our liking being much too crowded.

Archived