overnight parking at Portsmouth Ferry port

Teelin

I am departing for Spain from Portsmouth in late January with Britanny Ferries & have been given contridictory information regarding overnight parking in my motorhome. Some suggest it is quite acceptable to park in the check-in lanes the night before a morning sailing (11.15 am departure) while others have advised this is not possible. Does anyone know the definitive position. Given our recent weather ( possible return of same!!) I would prefer to stay at the Port, if possible as the closest site seems to be some miles away. Many thanks, in advance for any advice.

Regards

Hello and welcome, I haven't used Portsmouth for about 3 years but it was no problem then, indeed there is tap for water on the side of the toilets which you can (could?) fill up from if necessary.

As for sites, there is the Portsmouth Truck stop if you're stuck and last time down there we stayed at a pub car park (10 mins from the Port), with no issues at all. I'll post the name of the pub when I can remember it.

One thing, do not expect a good kip at the port although at this time of the year it may well be a bit better, the noise is just awful.

Martyn

If your coming down from the north or able to detour via Winchester one of the Park & Ride has a number of small motorhome bays on the lower park and two long drive-through bays on the upper part: I think overnight is £4.

carpark is called St Catherines at Bar End Sat Loc N51 03 146 W 1 18 309 exit M3 J9/A34 and follow signs.

Another alternative very close to the port is a service road I know that is often used by lorry drivers who know the area. That is Northharbour Road. You can enter the road from the traffic lights at M27 J12 come out the other end in the morning and picking up the motorway within 200 yards and the Port is one junction away. 10 Mins.

You can definitely stay at the port in the lanes. But I stay in the port to the left alongside the fence. Just enter the port as though you are going to the check in and move to the right alongside a chain fence. You will not be alone.

The ferry terminal guide confirms that parking in the lanes is permissable. This is what is said.

Caravans can be parked in the check-in lanes after the last departure of the day. Please note that no facilities are open overnight.

Link here to Brittany Ferries terminal guide.

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/port-guide/portsmouth-terminal

terryW - 2010-12-13 6:06 PM

Another alternative very close to the port is a service road I know that is often used by lorry drivers who know the area. That is Northharbour Road. You can enter the road from the traffic lights at M27 J12 come out the other end in the morning and picking up the motorway within 200 yards and the Port is one junction away. 10 Mins.

As i live in this area, I can say that there is plenty of parking around North Habour (IBM is used as park and Ride at weekends), also around near the large Tesco, Mc Donalds etc. plenty spaces around there. You could also go up to Portsdown Hill, lovely views over the habour, and plenty of parking around there

Many thanks to you all - very reassuring. I will be coming down the A34 /M3 then joining the M27 at Eastleigh so arriving from the West, Terry. Given ongoing weather concerns (& I realise a lot could change in 5 weeks!) I am just trying to be as close to the port as possible. My first posting - very impressed with response Thank you, again

Teelin - 2010-12-14 7:58 PM

Many thanks to you all - very reassuring. I will be coming down the A34 /M3 then joining the M27 at Eastleigh so arriving from the West, Terry. Given ongoing weather concerns (& I realise a lot could change in 5 weeks!) I am just trying to be as close to the port as possible. My first posting - very impressed with response Thank you, again

As you are coming from the west, may I sugest that you leave M27 at Jnt 11 (Fareham/Portchester) make your way along A27 towards Portsmouth, you will then see Tesco and parking areas, or carry on past , to get to North Habour, or even the port, depending on were you decided to stay

We use Portsmouth quite regularly and have never had a problem parking in the queue the night before, as someone already said, it might not be very quiet but I think so long as you're not setting up camp they are quite ok about it, we have never been asked to either move on or what sailing we were on, the only look we ever get is the "I wish we were in there making our own cuppa in the morning" kind of look!

If you would prefer a site then two options open all year are:

1. Site on Southsea front, I think ok as overnight stop only and providing you don't mind some city traffic on the way to the port.

http://www.southsealeisurepark.com/

Or

2. CL/CS type site ....

Orchard Farm, Chidham Nr Chichester

Post Code PO18 8PP Map Ref 197/793055

Email: maxineherridge@hotmail.com

Site is 4 mile west of Chichester and 6 mile East of Havant. Turn off A27 onto A259,from Havant direction then turn left into Drift Lane, site on right approx 120yds. Owned by Maxine and Martin £8/night or £10 with electricity. (we will be using this one next week)

Terry

Caroline - 2010-12-16 12:29 PM

you might want to say hello if you are there over christmas.

We would have liked that but it's a flying visit in a red suit to the Grandkids and then back up to our hideaway in Wales if the weather permits.

Have a great Xmas everyone

:-D

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on Parking for Ferry in Portsmouth.  One of my suggestions was Orchard Farm, just back from a few days on that site and it's a bit wet and slippery but while we were their one large caravan rig was "overnighting" for the ferry and Martin had placed them on the edge of his all weather caravan storage.  So if anyone has seen this thread and is planning to stay their then I suggest a call to Martin first would be a good idea and see if you can arrange similar.

• 11 months later...

Archived