Wind Power

sandya

Hi Folks,does anyone out there have experience of the Maplin 50watt telescopic vertical axis wind turbine, I am considering one to suplement solar panel to charge battery so I can charge electric bikes, I have only been able to find two reviews, both unpromising,any comments would helpfull *-)

With a maximum of 4 Amps and needing a 30+ KPH wind to acchieve that I think its an expensive thing to look at that won't do much good for most of the time. I have a 155 Watt solar panel and even at this time of year it will give about one Amp on a bright day, in summer sunshine it will give up to 10 Amps and it is totally silent.

D.

Small wind turbines become attractive if you put them on a sea going yacht. On motorhomes where you have to take it out and errect it and put it away before you drive anywhere they can be a tad tiresome as well as a bit noisy. Solar is the better option, fit and forget.

C.

Hi sandya,

I have a Rutland 504 windcharger which is rated at 80 watts. I need to place it at the top of a 5 metre sectional mast and use guy ropes to fix it.

If you are prepared to do that (although it only takes a few minutes) then it puts a bit of power back into the batteries in a strong wind. In light winds, it does virtually nothing. The higher the windcharger, the more chance of it getting 'clean' air, as turbulence at low level makes it more inefficient.

I wildcamp and have found it useful at times (especially in Scotland :D ). As Dave pointed out, a solar panel is fit and forget. I also have a 90 watt free standing solar panel. I can get a bit more out of it in winter by angling it towards the sun.

The Maplin one might be OK to keep your batteries topped up while in storage but that is about all. I know somebody who carries the larger Rutland 913 windcharger. It chucks out more amps but you can buy a very large solar array for the same money.

Hope that helps.

I looked at the Maplin one, if you download the full spec you will see it needs a force 5 to start producing anything at all, and a force 8 (gale force) to get 1 amp out of it. Also seen a few reports from people who have brought it complaining about the quality of the bearings.

I decided to go the solar route just waiting for some warmer weather to fit the panel.

Hi sandya,

As regards vertical axis wind turbines I believe you can rule out any of this design, though superficially attractive they can never be as efficient as an horizontal axis turbine, these presents all vanes to the wind all the time, the vertical axis design has one or more of it's vanes in the 'wind shadow' of the wind facing blade, thus reducing it's efficiency in comparison. to the horizontal type.

Living on the western edge of the Pennines I have considered designing a rain collecting/water wheel type of generating system for the van. :-D

Sorry Paul but I cannot let that last remark go.

My Rutland is virtually silent. If you stand next to it in gale force winds, you can just hear a very low humming sound.

I am more likely to be disturbed by someone snoring in the next van. :D

The debate on solar or wind has concentrated on the virtues of the two devices. I believe there is an important issue which has yet to be touched on - storage space.

A solar panel fits very neatly onto the roof and the only attention it requires is the occasional wash. A wind turbine on the other hand requires storage space for the turbine and blades plus pole and guides. Storage space on some (many) modern motorhomes is at a premium.

Very well put scramblers. A bit of forward planning (and adequate payload) is necessary.

BTW, my solar panel sits in a purpose made frame in my garage and is not a fixture. I just slide it out through one of the rear locker doors. This is to maximise output in winter, as I can angle it towards the sun. The windcharger also resides in the garage.

I did a little experiment a few weeks ago. In late afternoon sunshine, I laid my solar panel flat and (using an ammeter) measured the amps. Then I propped it up and took a reading. The output had risen by 45%. As an all year round wildcamper, it is much better for me to do it this way.

Before anyone says that it is no good because it may get stolen if you leave the van, I can either slide it back in or just leave it. We prefer to park up in very isolated places.

Archived