Cheap sat nav

Hawcara

I know that sat navs have been discussed on the forum before. However, I do not wish to purchase an expensive one, I would never really use it except on hols or finding odd places.

Have been looking at TomTom start or start 2 max about £110. Just need to be able to input lat/long as in ASCI book. Have had a cheap job before (My Guide). This was okay but sat could take time to load and could take a long time to recalculate route.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you and Merry Christmas *-)

Guest JudgeMental

If you get one with POI capability you need to input nothing...they can all be in there waiting for you, campsites, Aires, supermarkets (cheap fuel) etc...etc.....

stick to main brands Garmin, TT etc and you will be fine

I have a tom tom one in the car which I paid nearly £300 for about 3 years ago however last year I got an "RAC" model from halfords for the MH and paid about £70 I think they may be even less than that now. Its been just as good as the tom tom so thats my reccomendation. :-D

Not sure about this but I'm buying a MyGuide 4328 for £49.99. Its 4.3 with Lane indication, Bluetooth handsfree, Text to speech, Multimedia, Pictures, Music & games, 44 Western and eastern european maps. See http://www.ijtsave.co.uk/?sct=myguide4328 or Amazon.

The only problem!!! The company has gone bust. I'm taking the risk and hope I can get updated maps. Will let you know how it turns out

Pete

If it's cheap you want then get a Nokia 5230 phone, £70 plus it has world wide maps availible (might need a bigger memory card) with free updates for life, not sure on lat/long inputs as I've only used post code or map to input destinations, Proboly not as good as a TomTom but does enough for me, just remember to switch the aGPS off or will cost a fortune when abroad.

I updated the sat nav 3 months ago after taking forum comments into consideration and whilst I had been led to understand that all the TomToms have the ability to work by use of GPS coordinates I found to my cost that the model I bought - the XL2 Europe IQ routes does not have this feature. It is a good model but wont let me use GPS coordinates. Suggest you read the small print and get something that does exactly what you want...

Thank you for that tip. Are there any others that do not do GPS?

I keep looking around for a good deal and following up tips on this site.

Just want Europe maps and Uk, GPS. Do not want the really fancy stuff as will only use it on hols and not on daily basis. 8-)

I think you really need to turn your questions to a forum like Pocket GPS World.  Most of us on here know the GPS we use, but don't have a wide knowledge of GPS makes and models in general.  There are just too many, and new ones come out all the time.  You can get direct user experience of this or that model if someone uses it, but general questions, such as you ask, would probably be better answered on a GPS specific forum rather than a motorhoming forum.  What you may find, however, is that there is less understanding on those forums of how motorhomers use GPS, so you may have to be fairly precise in describing what you want it to do, and where.

Thank you, I will look on that site.

My reason for asking on this forum, was that, many of those on here will use a particular brand eg tomtom and have a recommendation.

When sat nav first entered the world, just putting in the address would suffice, but lat/long is now a necessity in my opinion, moreso abroad.

I do not want lots of POI's just lat/long with quick sat aquisition and for under £100.

The more reviews one reads, the more one becomes confused.

:-D

Archived