exhaust tail pipe

camperadi

We have a branch of Mr Tyre in Leicester that is a common or garden tyre and exhaust centre. They have 'Powerflow' stainless exhaust components in a huge variety of sizes and shapes and have fabricated two exhaust systems for me. If you do a search for Powerflow you should find someone not too far from you that could do the same.

Nick

Overdrive - 2010-12-15 1:16 PM

My RHD Rapido exits exhaust on Left.

Is it the habitation door that dictates the exhaust exit opposite, and not the pavement ?

Thinking about it both my RHD Cars have exhausts which exit on the left, albeit at the rear!

Has anyone got a habitation door and exhaust exit on same side ?

David

Hi

Yes ours has the habitation door and exhaust exit on same side-I got a chrome extension to point fumes down and away from door to stop smell of exhaust fumes.

Works fine now. There was also an article in last months MMM where a guy had had a ss pipe made to fit his van for about £30

Mike

camperadi - 2010-12-15 8:58 PM ............... Euroserves observation is interesting because one of the Transit standard tail pipes comes straight off the last silencer and curves through 90 degrees to point down to the road. This would finish in the middle of the motorhome and I didnt feel that this is safe on a motorhome in case fumes came in through any of the underfloor vents. What do others think please? .........................

I share you concern.  I think Nick is probably unaware that motorhomes have a number of vents through their floors because they have an on-board gas system.  These "gas drops" are to prevent potentially explosive accumulations of heavier than air LPG at low level in case of leakage.  The way air pressures pull air into, and through, motorhomes is unpredictable, and it is possibly an exhaust terminating mid way beneath the floorpan could lead to exhaust fumes being drawn in through the gas drops.  Ducting them to one side or other seems, on balance, the better course to adopt.

747 - 2010-12-16 12:14 PM

..I have a Tunit box fitted and I vaguely remember that it can be beneficial to fit this type of filter when you have the Tunit. I forget the reason why but hey that's old age for you...

A K&N air-filter has two main advertised advantages over the ‘normal’ disposable type.

1. It provides improved air-flow compared to the standard product. Consequently, a K&N filter should produce an immediate (albeit small) power increase for any vehicle.

2. It is washable and reusable. Hence (assuming that the filter does not become contaminated) a K&N filter should last the life of the vehicle. As Nick says, K&N filters aren’t that expensive – See the following:

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

I’ve only used a K&N filter once, on my first Golf GTi in the early 1980s. It didn’t fit properly in the Golf’s filter intake-box and I had to revert to the standard VW filter. I’m sure things have improved since then.

Reusable air-filters are fine if you carry out your own servicing, but you need to be careful if someone else does it for you. Otherwise your last-forever K&N filter can end up in the service-centre’s dustbin and you’ll be billed for the disposable filter that will have been fitted as a replacement.

Thanks for the info and the link Derek. I will definitely get one. I have just had my annual service so I will leave it until the spring (if the snow has gone by then).

Euro car parts stock them and I will buy from them. The reason for this is that the K&N website lists the type of filter for various models. Under Fiat Ducato, they are a bit odd. My 2.8 jtd is not listed, they have a 2.8L L4 DSL which may be the one. If I buy locally, I can return it if there is a problem.

Archived