Garmin City Navigator updates

Knaus

Guest JudgeMental

are you going to keep present nuvi? if yes I would sign up for the lifetime updates at just under £70 now I believe.....

I alway updated every 2 years but will now get the lifetime deal, as have just got new 775T. its really comes down to if your is good enough to keep long term. does the 250 allow mapping on your PC via mapsource?

I have the Garmin Nuvi 1490T and have recently updated the maps using Garmin's Lifetime Map Updates. It is well worth the £75 as not only are the maps updated but the number of embedded POIs have increased manyfold. With the Lifetime purchase the maps are updated approx 4 times a year.

A word of caution, my Garmin is only 12 months old yet I could not download the whole of the UK and Europe to the SatNav. However, the download system allows you to install as much mapping as you can fit onto your SatNav or, if it will take an SD card, to split the mapping between the card and the SAtNav.

Hi

Thanks for the info.

I know once before we couldn't put all Europe on the Nuvi 250W but as we normally only travel in France and Uk it sounds like it would be a good investment. Also we have a SD card slot.

My Garmin was purchased in April 2008 and I see on the Garmin Website that it has been discontinued. Not sure if this will be a problem for future updates.

• 3 weeks later...

I just brought a 1490T I couldn't see the point in paying for the updates as the device only cost £130 might as well just replace it in about 3 years as things will have moved on and new satnavs will have improved.

It came with the City Navigator Europe maps as well which had to be downloaded.

I downloaded them & installed them. When you link to Garmin via PC it says maps are installed and unlocked but I can't find them they are supposed to be in the Extras folder. Wondering if anyone else has had the problem before I try downloading again as it takes a few hours.

If the Nuvi came with CN Europe maps you shouldn't have needed to download anything.  Perhaps the download was the free update to bring the installed maps fully up to date?

If so, the maps will have installed direct to your Nuvi, and will not be visible on the PC. 

To check the installed version, turn on the Nuvi, select Tools, then Settings, then Map, then MAP INFO. 

Not sure if mine are fully up to date, but the latest I have is CN Europe NT 2011.20.  If yours is that, or higher, you will have the most up to date available.  However, bear in mind that it will already be out of date here and there, as digital maps lag behind paper maps in terms of currency.  :-)

HI Brian,

I was under the impression that the City navigator maps were separate to the base maps.

The map info on the unit says CN Europe NT 2011.32 but when you connect to PC on the PC shows:

MCP Map - installed & unlocked

City Navigator Europe NT 2011.30, Deluxe All Regions - JV, Oct 10 - installed and unlocked

In the CN download & install instructions it says they will be installed in the extras folder.

I take it from what you are saying for all intents & purposes there is only one map.

I was expecting the CN maps to give additional info in city's i.e. transport links etc.

I noticed after updating the maps free memory went from 850 mb down to 635mb so there must be a fair bit of extra info on the update. Update was from 2011.30 to 2011.32

I was hoping to be able to use mapsourse with it but apparently you can only use it if you have brought maps on a CD, do you know of any work round?

Anyway it is much simpler to use, better at plotting routes easier to set via's than my Navman S90i pity about the micky mouse map graphics although when zoomed out it changes to a terrain map which is good.

lennyhb - 2011-01-09 6:19 PM ............... Update was from 2011.30 to 2011.32 I was hoping to be able to use mapsourse with it but apparently you can only use it if you have brought maps on a CD, do you know of any work round? ...............

Hi Lenny

If you had to download a program called "MapInstall" as part of the update process (probably on your PC "C" drive, in a "Garmin" directory) try going to the Garmin website and look for "MapSource" as a download.

MapSource will ferret around on your PC looking for MapSource products and, as MapInstall is/was recognised as a MapSource product, you will be entitled to upgrade to MapSource free.  This "upgrade" does not alter MapInstall as on your PC, but merely allows MapSource to install and work.  You may have to re-install the update to your Nuvi after you install MapSource, as it cannot access the maps on the Nuvi, but gains a working copy as the map download proceeds.  If this works, you can begin learning MapSource.  Deep joy!  :-) 

(The real benefit of MapSource, IMO, is the way it hooks into Google Earth, so that by selecting "View in Google Earth" from any view in MapSource, Google earth opens and takes you to the same place.  Excellent for checking actual POI locations, not all of which are necessarily correct - even those included on the Garmin maps!  In a perfect world, Google Earth would be up to date as well! :-))

The above is what I did on advice from Garmin.  The only problem is that they seem to change the rules every time the wind changes, so I can't promise it remains true.  (I have the lifetime map updates, and MapInstall came with that)  However, I only update maps before trips (process takes ages!), so your maps are now ahead of mine.

If you go for the lifetime updates, each update seems to be larger than the last, so at some time an SD card becomes a necessity to gain the required memory capacity.  However, there is no noticeable degradation in Nuvi performance as a result of maps "spanning" in-built and SD memory.

Archived