Split Shower Wall

scramblers

The shower compartment in our Nexxo is formed by two parallel walls with a folding door at each end. The walls are preformed plastic sheets screwed to an outside wall and an inside wall. When we went out for a weekend away I noticed that the sheet screwed to the outside wall had split. The split starts at a screw and moves horizontally to the centre of the plastic sheet. We have not ‘caused’ the split by anything that we have done.

I am wondering if the severe weather conditions have had anything to do with it?

Can any forum member recommend a repairer close to Tamworth to replace the wall?

Daft question, but I take it you're out of warranty? I think it highly unlikely to have been caused by the weather especially since it is eminating from the screw so it looks like the movement of the van over time has caused the screw to put pressure on the panel and eventually the crack has appeared.

Instead of replacing it, have you considered having it welded? This may be a cheaper, and quicker, alternative.

Why not go back to the supplying dealer?  From your description, this is just a lining panel for the wall, which has no "structural" function.  You say the split is horizontal, starting from a fixing screw.

I would suggest this may be due to the screw having been over-tightened, but more probably because the lining sheet was rather "fresh" when fixed, and has since shrunk slightly, stressing the sheet at the fixing points.  The crack being its way of de-stressing itself.  Alternatively, there may be a flaw in the panel, visible only on its back face.

As suggested above, I would have a close look at the Burstner warranty, because in a number of the German made vans, the cover is for the duration of the base vehicle warranty, including items such as heater, fridge, etc, that have only a 12 months warranty from their respective manufacturers.  I believe this is the norm in Germany, but not all the manufacturers have realised UK consumer law does not demand this, or have simply chosen to extend the benefit to UK buyers.

Also, because the split creates a point at which water can get into the rest of the fabric, it may be worth exploring if it may be covered under the water ingress warranty.  I know it is not leakage from outside, but it is potential leakage and, from what you say, seems likely to be due to a manufacturing defect on Burstner's part.  Burstner have a good reputation for availability of parts, but you may go a little pale when you find out the cost!  :-)

I would have a word with the dealer first, you may get it done under warranty and Burstner a a very good manufacturer. We have a Burstner 2007 Marano and have got spares from Camper U/K no problem, if you get no joy re warranty have a word with them and you will get a price over the phone. I clonked the rear corner of mine and bent the aluminium edge trim. Got a complete trim, already bent and screw holes in, for about £50. Will fit it when weather is better. As for the panel, it is probably ABS or Styrene sheet and cannot be welded. Styrene can be solvent welded. Mine has the same shower set up, so I will have a look at it tomorrow and see if it has the same problem.

I bought the motorhome second hand from Somerset Motorhome Centre at the last Shepton Mallet show. The deal included 6 months warranty and a quick phone call confirmed, without any hassle, that they will cover the replacement cost.

So now I am looking for a local repairer to do the work, any ideas? Canwell Caravans near Sutton Coldfield seem to carry all the right credentials but I don't know their work.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Just to update you. Somerset Motorhome Centre replaced both shower walls without any hassle or problems.

As matter of interest the original walls were fixed by simply forcing screws through the plastic walls. The replacement walls came with pre-drilled holes for the screws.

Guest Tracker

A good result!

Somerset Motorhome Centre is owned by Tom Lower who used to be sales manager at Chelston Motorhomes.

He was an OK guy at Chelston and did us a very fair deal in 2006 - and it looks as if he still is because someone else I spoke at a show last year had been impressed by the after care when they had several problems.

Always good to get positive feedback.

Archived