ferry prices

trickydicky

I hope so! We normally book around late Dec early Jan for July/Aug and haven't found any prices even close to what we've paid previously.

We're still toying with the idea of clearing off over to France for Christmas but at £102 for a ferry, no chance. I, and doubtless others have paid less than that in July.

I wouldn't mind but it wasn't like I was putting prime dates in like Xmas eve and New Years day either.

Martyn

Over the past couple of years there has been a change in the pricing regime. Now it's the earlier you book the cheaper it is.

Previously, cross channel companies found that they had trouble regulating and predicting there revenues with customers waiting until the last moment before booking a trip. Now they have collectively turned around the problem by giving discounts for early booking and charging more for late bookings.

When too many people jump on the bandwagon it changes direction!

scramblers - 2010-12-17 7:03 PM

Over the past couple of years there has been a change in the pricing regime. Now it's the earlier you book the cheaper it is.

QUOTE]

Well I'll have to dispute that, I have the time and opportunity to monitor prices and indeed have done regularly since next years prices were released.

They haven't budged at all, unless someone can tell me differently. I've used all the usual suspects, CC, Ferrysavers, P&O etc etc.

Martyn

Guest JudgeMental
have found the tunnel (my favourite) best for July out august back summer trip, with better times as well...bothh NL & P&O were more expensive with horrible schedules :-S

Hi, I have just booked P&O Dover/Calais out last week in May, return late first week in July via Caravan Club £94.50, plus 21 camping cheques plus red pennant single trip cover 45 days for 2 people. Ferry is 50% up on this years price, ( via Sea France), Camping cheques same price, insurance about the same .

Although Barfleur is returning to Poole, unless Brittany reduce their exhorbitant prices, I cant see them doing much tourist trade. They expect to fill it mainly with commercial traffic according to local news.

tonyg3nwl

Just a cautionary tale regarding booking through Clubs. I booked early this year through the CCC and near the time I wanted to change to an earlier crossing. I knew I would have to pay the extra plus the admin fee and didn't mind that so I first checked with the ferry operator to confirm that there was room then phoned the CCC. I was told that the ferry was full so I went back to the ferry operator who confirmed there was room but the CCC had filled its allocation! In the end I just arrived at the docks and paid on the spot to go on the ferry I wanted

Only today I asked the CC if this could happen with them and they said no, if there was room then they could get us on.

So I went direct .....Norfolk Line, End May bank holiday week £64 but I am only 7M

I do not know if it still applies but when I booked with Seafrance online in the offer code box if you type " BROWN " you get a discount this was part of a deal between Seafrance and Brownhills not used ferry for last 2 years as we use Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller Account.

If you make your bookings via the Caravan Club, and are in France but need to change your ferry crossing, say to come back a day early, you have to do it via the Caravan Club.

When we had to come back early a few years ago due to 'illness', I rang the ferry company direct in France (the local Tourist Info office at Boulogne Sur Mer kindly rang them for me). They would have changed the booking for me themselves even though it was originally made through the CC, however, I couldn't do it there and then as I'd forgotten to take my credit card! Instead I rang my mum in the UK and she rang the CC for me to do the change and they charged an extra £5 for the priviledge!

So, if you do find yourself in France and need to change your return booking, do try the ferry company direct, rather than the CC, as they may do it for you and save you some dosh in the process.

I have just tried to get a price online for our usual Dover /Calais/Dover trip going out early Sept. and returning mid Oct.

The response was " Sorry our online booking facility is so busy that we cannot deal with your enquiry at the moment. Please try contacing us by 'phone."

I believe that most of the ferry operators charge top prices during peak irrespective of travel dates required.

Lets see if prices reduce on bookings made in Jan/Feb next year.

BOB

Archived