O/T Mercedes car versus Saab

Poppy

EJB - 2010-12-20 3:00 PM

I've read more than I care to remember over the past year or two about the whole saga and am very optimistic ;-)

See who's right in a year or so ;-) :-D :-D

Just noticed this article in the paper, and I recalled our conflicting predictions in this thread.

"Saab on the skids as Hawtai Motor Group funding crashes.

The future of Saab, one of Europe's most famous automotive brands, is in serious doubt after a funding deal with Chinese company Hawtai Motor Group collapsed.

Saab's owner Spyker said in a statement on Thursday that it had terminated the deal because Hawtai "was not able to obtain all the necessary consents".

The Chinese car maker had agreed to invest €150m (£131m) for a 30pc stake in Spyker and a technology-sharing deal. However, the agreement was subject to approval from Chinese governmental agencies, the European Investment Bank and the Swedish National Debt Office.

Ailing Saab was acquired from General Motors for $400m (£246m) by Dutch car maker Spyker, but its turnaround plan has been hindered by disappointing sales.

This sparked a liquidity crisis that led to Saab halting production on April 6."

(Sunday Telegraph, 15.5.11)

• 3 months later...

For EJB - an update from BBC Business News this morning:

"Cash-strapped Swedish carmaker Saab has said it may not have the funds to pay its employees' wages on time in August.

If so, this will be the third consecutive month that at least some of Saab's 3,700 employees will have seen their salaries delayed.

Saab was bought last year by Swedish Automobile, formerly known as Spyker.

The new owner has been trying to find new sources of funding since April, when production was halted as unpaid suppliers stopped deliveries.

Analysts say Saab needs a long-term investor to solve its liquidity problems.

Last week, Swedish authorities started seizing assets from the carmaker in an attempt to recover money owed to suppliers - a move that some see as a potential first step towards bankruptcy.

"There is a risk of delayed payment of August wages to Saab Automobile employees as some of the funds that were committed by investors may not be paid in time," Saab and Swedish Automobile said in a statement.

It added that Saab was taking "all necessary actions" to collect these funds in time but there could be "no assurance that the necessary funding will be obtained or the funds collected".

Saab Car adverts on TV used to feature Saab's other Product Lines namely 'Very fast Jet Fighters'.

IF it is allowed to 'go back to it's roots' and give up trying to be a 'large Volume producer' (of everyday 'crxp' cars) like GM tried to make it. Then it 'Might' just survive, quirky, ONLY made in Sweden with Swedish designers and technology it could be 'differant' enough to ride out the 'Pluralisation' of other Car makes (including Mercedes ! the 'new' Mercs look just like Vauxhall Insignia's from the rear !)

BUT the production targets need to be alot less, with Quality the new 'Mantra'. I wish them luck.

Ray

We are in the lucky position to be able to afford more or less what ever car we like but I won't buy a merc because every time my son in law takes his in for servicing he come out in tears when he gets the bill. We may have the money but I just can't bear to be ripped off, which is what in my humble opinion their servicing amounts to.

Our present car is a Toyota Avensis and since it does less than 4,000 miles a year even though I keep looking at alternatives the fact is that I rather suspect we will be keeping it for a few years yet until I'm old enough to need one with better access at which time we may well go back to some form of 4x4, most likely a Honda or some form of small Land Rover since we always as far as possible buy cars that are made in the UK to support our home industry and workers.

Sorry wandered off from your original question. Saab. No in their present state of health I would not touch them with a barge pole. Why would you risk investing in a car from a company that is having such serious problems? Mind you in the old days they did make some very good cars.

Archived