Snow Tyres And Konig Chains

michele

Ok Guys and Gals need your help .

Can you drive on any snow chains ? Are any actually designed to stay on the car /van /lorry whilst you get out of a pickle ? can you leave them on and drive for a while or must you pull over and take them off again ?

My Daughter & Son are just thinking of getting snow tyres and snow chains . They asked if they could leave them on full stop in this weather both work out in the country . I said I didnt think that they were for actually driving on but I would check and see if there is anything at all that is made to drive on .

If they can't drive on them can you drive on snow socks ?.

L O Michele.  I think the answer is that socks or chains are only for use on snow, and should be removed on snow free roads.  The socks get shredded by tarmac, and the chains would create severe vibration, may damage tyres, may themselves be damaged, and could damage tarmac, if used where there is no snow.

Snow tyres should be fine for use throughout the winter, though I gather the ones with the snowflake symbol may be too soft a rubber compound for year round use.  Those rated as just winter tyres, or M+S, may be fine year round, but will probably wear faster than all weather, or summer tyres.

Their best bet is probably to do a bit of research as to availability and prices, see what looks good, and then ask the manufacturer what they think about year round use, and its consequences.

Gee Fanks Brian m

You always have a good sensible answer kiss kiss x

I am going to make them sit down and research it all but I am at the same conclusion as you in that you shouldnt drive for a way on them.

Wouldnt you think in 2010 that these people might design something :D I bet theres a market for it .

You know whta I always say that especially when I see the trolleys at Tesco's wouldnt you think that in 2010 they would of come up with something to make a trolley go in a straight line :D :D we can send man to the moon but not a trolley in a straight line *-)

Crazy world

I'd suggest that they fit winter tyres first - if they can find them at present!- and see how they do with those. Their performance is so far superior to ordinary summer tyres it's unbelievable, and you can get around in most circumstances. Chains are belt and braces, but only really for getting started up snowy hills or really extreme conditions. In those circumstances, you probably won't be going anywhere, as the other traffic will be all snarled up and at a standstill.

If they can't get winter tyres, try socks, as an emergency measure.

Germany now requires the seasonal fitting of winter tyres - I think UK should insist likewise.

Brom ,

Just saw your reply it made me laugh when you said going up hills.

I have just sat and watched a video of my son his colleague and the boss . They couldnt get up the hill so for some reason the boss decided to reverse up hill in the VW no fix it again tomorrow jobbie for him :D anyway the result was they didnt make it . I would of thought that three of them and all that weight anvil forge shoes etc etc would of helped ,it didnt lol.

Wished MMM let you psot videos on here .

Winter tyres it is I think .

Michele I spent whole seasons in the French alps and used chains a lot but you really should only drive on them for short periods when no snow. As well as damage than can cause, I once had a pair break and take out rear brake line, they make the car handle in a strange way, the tyres tend to move around inside the chain and makes anything over 40mph very dodgy. Personally I would buy a pair of cheap chains and just use if required. I use the cheapest from the French supermarkets, if you know anyone going over to France, they last pretty well and certainly for casual use will be ok for years. Most of the cheap ones now are also easy to fit. Winter tyres are an expensive option for the little real use they have.

I suggest they contact a couple of tyre manufacturers for a chat about comparative merits of winter and all weather tyres - specifically with Mud+Snow ratings

Vredestein are pretty helpful

also - talk to the specific car manufacturer, they have no hidden agenda - or shouldn't have

I personally like Winter tyres- feel much safer with them on - use M+S rated tyres on camper all year round - makes a difference even if they're only on the drive wheels

I understand they are starting to refer to them as cold weather tyres to get away from assumption that they're only relevant in snow, apparently they're for use in temperatures below 7 degrees C

:D

Rupert we have a pair of Konigs left over from our M/h sadly just sold .

Like you we used in the French Alps Val thorens and Mont Blanc .

They did get us out of trouble and we always knew that once out of a problem not to drive on them . I got real paniced once made it all the way to the top of the mountains stopped at the foot of the campsite entrance and couldnt get going again . Why did we stop ? two campsites together and we didnt want to get stranded on the wrong one .

I did wonder if they would fit my daughter VW transporter ? but even someone as daft as me knows her tyres will be smaller . In saying that just had to buy her a new one and needed a kings ransom of £108 per tyre and that was off my friend who owns the garage and puts nothing on for himself .

Looks like we will have to sell if we ever get round to it shame really as she is working in Suffolk out in all weathers up and down little lanes .

Sit here and worry about her still she's a tough un :D

Shame because knowing us they will rot in the garage

nowtelse2do - 2010-12-20 9:38 PM

Hi Michele,

Just to clear up a little point on Brian's post, when he wrote M+S  he is not referring to Marks & Spencer's, they didn't have any in last time I was there. :-D

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Dave

Pillock!  That's M&S.  Where did you go to school!  :-D

Brian Kirby - 2010-12-21 12:56 PM
nowtelse2do - 2010-12-20 9:38 PM

Hi Michele,

Just to clear up a little point on Brian's post, when he wrote M+S  he is not referring to Marks & Spencer's, they didn't have any in last time I was there. :-D

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Dave

Pillock!  That's M&S.  Where did you go to school!  :-D

:D :D  I think this thread is degenerating :D

Dave

Meant to say deteriorating :D 

Somewhat belatedly I am adding to this link.

I am writing this from lausanne Switzerland (spending Xmas here with family)

We travelled out in the motorhome - we have an elderly dog who would not survive flying.

Tyres are Michelin Camping C good amounts of tread and I bought Konig snow chains for emergency use.

The journey out was pretty bad once we got into Belgium and we had a lot of delays - road works blocked with 2 to 3 inches of snow on the road and the only snow ploughs we saw were on the opposite direction carriageway.

However we got here eventually but not without a long period of stressful driving on snow covered roads. I have not yet used the chains as the traffic was moving steadily at about 40 mph and chain instructions say not to be used above 30mph ! Additionally there was no place to stop and fit them on the 2 occassions I decided to use them and by the time a space was available the snow had cleared again.

I could have had them on end off like a yo-y.

Heavy snow on the day we finally got to the site but our sons arrived with cars to transport us and the goodies to their appartment and yes they have winter tyres fitted.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE ! ! Lausanne is very hilly and despite good snow clearance there was and still is, plenty lying around. We drove uphill to the accommodation as though on wet roads.

If I come here again in winter I shall invest in winter tyres - without doubt.

Now all I have to do is to decide the best way to travel home after New Year.

Incidentally the tourist info office in lausanne told us in October that snow rarely troubles Lausanne ! Huh ! That was why I did I not invest in the winter tyres then !

I was working in the motor trade in the winter of 63. Spent a lot of time fitting and repairing and ocassionally useing chains. Very effective on fresh and packed snow and to a lesser extent ice. Suitable for low speed only say 20mph.

They do terrible things to both tyres and clear roads.

If you need to keep mobile most years its best to keep a pair fitted on spare wheels with low value tyres and swap them on and off to suit the weather.

I have Michelin Camping tyres on my motorhome Yesterdy I checked to see if there was a marking for mud or snow but could not see anything.

Is there a number or code that relates to this? I could not see a M or S snowflake or any symbol. Please anyone, what am I missing.

Clive.

Jon, thanks for that. Mine are XC so that explains no markings.

I have been out on the roads both in France and UK in snow and have always managed to keep going without chains. his year could be different.

A couple of years back I was returning from France and reached the M25, gone thru the Dartford tunnel and 2 or 3 miles or so up the road lorries had jackknifed mostly blocking all lanes with quite a few cars at the back of them. Still having 200 miles to go, I was not going to stop unless I had to and slowly manouvered round the cars and just missing the lorries wing mirrors without stopping. From then on I had the motorway to myself for a couple of junctions, not one other vehicle or police car.

The tyres gripped well providing I did not try to push the the speed to high so even the XCs are very good in winter.

Clive.

Archived