Censorship again

spospe

I see that the thread on "Gay" motorhoming has been pulled, both here and on Chatterbox.

I did go a little off topic, but I personally do not like threads just vanishing.

On other forums, when threads seem to get out of hand, they are simply locked, which stops further comment, but preserves all the data.

What do you think :-(

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is typically what happens on here. The big difference between this forum and other forums is that the moderator is an employee of Warners and bound by their rules. When the powers that be decide that a thread has breached their acceptable use policy ( you remember the bit you agreed to when you signed up to this forum doncha :D ) then it is removed lock stock and speellung musticks.

The reality is that Warners could potentially be held liable for allowing offensive material to be published via this website. some may think this is draconian, some may feel they are owed an explanation (as I myself have in the past) and some just don't give a damn.

D.

Should have been pulled imediately anyway, as it was discriminating against non homosexuals. I was going to complain, but too many of you were having such a great time, I didn't want to spoil your fun. :D

spospe - 2010-12-21 9:16 PM

I see that the thread on "Gay" motorhoming has been pulled, both here and on Chatterbox.

I did go a little off topic, but I personally do not like threads just vanishing.

On other forums, when threads seem to get out of hand, they are simply locked, which stops further comment, but preserves all the data.

What do you think :-(

I wouldn't have thought that the " data " on that thread was worth preserving.

:-(

it would be nice to have an explanation as to why a thread is pulled

but as has already been said, mods on here are generally a lot more tolerant than most other forums - they seem to take an impersonal objective more adult approach to content

:D :D

the ongoing rambling thread on MHF would seem to be a case in point, I suspect that would have been killed off long ago on some sites

Dave Newell - 2010-12-21 9:22 PM

This is typically what happens on here. The big difference between this forum and other forums is that the moderator is an employee of Warners and bound by their rules. When the powers that be decide that a thread has breached their acceptable use policy ( you remember the bit you agreed to when you signed up to this forum doncha :D ) then it is removed lock stock and speellung musticks.

The reality is that Warners could potentially be held liable for allowing offensive material to be published via this website. some may think this is draconian, some may feel they are owed an explanation (as I myself have in the past) and some just don't give a damn.

D.

The relevant paragraph in the forum's Terms Of Use section reads:

"Bad language or threatening behaviour is not acceptable. Postings containing any language likely to offend other readers will be deleted. This also applies to any messages containing offensive statements relating to sexual orientation, race, religion or other factors having no relevance to the subject."

Surely nobody needs to have it explained to them why the threads in question got the chop?

antony1969 - 2010-12-22 10:46 AM

Well said Peter , had I complained on the grounds of my concern of discrimination against non homosexuals would it have been pulled ??? . As I stated in previous post we are all a little gay and I wasnt offended by it

You speak for yourself.

malc d - 2010-12-22 12:22 PM

antony1969 - 2010-12-22 10:46 AM

Well said Peter , had I complained on the grounds of my concern of discrimination against non homosexuals would it have been pulled ??? . As I stated in previous post we are all a little gay and I wasnt offended by it

You speak for yourself.

Yes, I have never appreciated the hijacking of the word 'Gay' which was such a lovely way to describe being 'light-hearted' - 'mirthful' (Little Oxford Dictionary) and now has a very different connotation which many people feel they cannot use in it's original context.

David

Guest Tracker
david lloyd - 2010-12-22 12:30 PM

Yes, I have never appreciated the hijacking of the word 'Gay' which was such a lovely way to describe being 'light-hearted' - 'mirthful' (Little Oxford Dictionary) and now has a very different connotation which many people feel they cannot use in it's original context.

David

I second that emotion David! It somehow seems symptomatic of our sad and sick society when those involved in homosexuality feel obliged to hijack a word of a completely different meaning to try to make their deviation more acceptable to the rest of society - or perhaps justify themselves.

It seems even more odd that females of a similar persuasion are happy to use the term lesbian - perhaps the males of that disposition really don't have the balls to face reality.

I've worked with people from all persuasions and have no problem - indeed many of those with homosexual tendencies are very good workers, polite, good natured and all round decent chaps / chapesses!

I too didn't see anything in the pulled topics that was malicious or potentially problematic but to be fair the moderators on here are generally pretty even handed and fair so perhpas they would care to comment please?

The thread's got pulled because it started to get unpleasant and could have had repercussions on Warner's, simple as that.  These posts and threads can be printed off and used in any proceedings against you or Warner's so I say again be careful of how you word your comments and replies to any post's regarding this and the pulled threads.

Dave                                                            

I followed and posted comments on said thread . To all those who have said in later posts that there were offensive or unpleasant things said could someone please explain just what was said that was so bleedin offensive . I dont get it , honestly , I can assure you anything I said was tongue in cheek , you know a bit like a gay comic may play on the gay card to get the laughs . So what is the difference . Please , can someone tell me where Ive gone wrong and Ill take it like a man , thankyou

antony1969 - 2010-12-22 5:33 PM I followed and posted comments on said thread . To all those who have said in later posts that there were offensive or unpleasant things said could someone please explain just what was said that was so bleedin offensive . I dont get it , honestly , I can assure you anything I said was tongue in cheek , you know a bit like a gay comic may play on the gay card to get the laughs . So what is the difference . Please , can someone tell me where Ive gone wrong and Ill take it like a man , thankyou

I would think the difference is antony that it's down in writing and no emoticons  shown, such as :-D 8-) *-)  so members who are easily offended react on it as a serious post. 

Dave 

Stalwart , I hope you are right with your explanation , for humours sake I hope you are right , I presume this means that the easily offended crew would maybe of had a little snigger had they seen my facial expression , surely something is either funny or not , spoken or wrote . My wording did in no way indicate any bigotry and for those with the sense of humour failure I offer my advice . Do not pull a christmas cracker on the 25th with your lunch , as any written joke is likely to cause you serious indigestion , especially if there are no funny faces to let ya know its a joke

Guest Tracker
duffers - 2010-12-22 7:29 PM

jhorsf - 2010-12-22 6:12 PM

I believe you can now get a sense of humour bypass on the NHS now :D

but there's a long waiting list

The main problem is with diagnosis - people who need it the most don't even appreciate just how much they need the operation!

Archived