Censorship again

spospe

teflon2 - 2011-01-03 6:46 PM

Here goes I'm going to throw my bit into the mix. What is homophobic supposed to mean. A our school many years ago homo = man, phobic =fear so what do homosexuals expect it to do (man fear) or (fear man) John (lol)

See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

Regarding usage and meaning, the first paragraph of the "First documented uses" section is interesting.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2011-01-03 7:34 PM

Okay David, in the format of 'AA' meetings:

my name is Mel, and I'm a .... Eurovan-lover. :$

There, you have the truth now, I love foreign vans, especially French ones (and French cars having had many of them :D ).

I'll get my beret .... (lol)

Okay in the format of 'MA' meetings.................... I love 'em all....tried most of 'em too....American RV, American B Class, UK Low profile with twin front sofas, Eurovan (fixed bed), UK overcab coachbuilt, medium wheelbase front lounge PVC, long wheelbase rear lounge conversion and even (sshhhh - I'll just whisper this....) caravans!!!

But having tried the different varieties, we are now comfortably settled with our present 'partner' (excuse the modern parlance) - an extra long wheelbase, rear lounge PVC which gives us the choice of front or rear dining and double or single beds - how's that?

David

Guest Tracker
LordThornber - 2011-01-04 1:33 PM

Panel van conversion

Martyn

And there was me think they were all made out of pvc - polyvinylchloride!

Tracker - 2011-01-04 2:07 PM

Panel van conversion

Martyn

Tracker - isn't that what the coachbuilts are made of? hee...hee...he

No, no - I didn't mean it - please don't censor me!

David

Guest Tracker
david lloyd - 2011-01-04 3:26 PM

Tracker - 2011-01-04 2:07 PM

Panel van conversion

Martyn

Tracker - isn't that what the coachbuilts are made of? hee...hee...he

No, no - I didn't mean it - please don't censor me!

David

Err not quite David - nothing as sturdy as pvc is used in many modern coachbuilts - all in the cause of lightness of course and nowt to do with cost cutting?

Derek took a look and if you actualy follow the two words they mean homo = man or mankind phobia = fear so it still seems to me that like gay a certain type has hijacked a word or words and come up with the wrong answer but one which suits their needs but not the true meaning of the words. (lol) John

teflon2 - 2011-01-04 6:48 PM

Derek took a look and if you actualy follow the two words they mean homo = man or mankind phobia = fear so it still seems to me that like gay a certain type has hijacked a word or words and come up with the wrong answer but one which suits their needs but not the true meaning of the words. (lol) John

I am not so sure that the term is not correct. My husband was pursued several times in men's public toilets (particularly in France for some unknown reason) which he absolutely hated and was fearful for his safety on some occasions - could be a truer meaning of homophobia?

Patricia - 2011-01-04 7:21 PM
teflon2 - 2011-01-04 6:48 PM Derek took a look and if you actualy follow the two words they mean homo = man or mankind phobia = fear so it still seems to me that like gay a certain type has hijacked a word or words and come up with the wrong answer but one which suits their needs but not the true meaning of the words. (lol) John
I am not so sure that the term is not correct. My husband was pursued several times in men's public toilets (particularly in France for some unknown reason) which he absolutely hated and was fearful for his safety on some occasions - could be a truer meaning of homophobia?

All you ever wanted to know, and more, here: http://tinyurl.com/bce42  :-)

Guest pelmetman
Followed your link Brian 8-) 8-) 8-) I no longer live in a cottage.................its a house, flat, shed or bungalow :D

Tracker - 2011-01-04 12:49 PM

I promise not to make a habit of it but I agree totally with Peter's last two postings.

Happy New Year Pete!

Blimey Rich' have you been at the Port again. Happy new year my old matey. (lol)

While we're on the subject and yes, I know it's not P.C.

THE GAY FLIGHT ATTENDANT

My flight was being served by an obviously gay flight attendant, who seemed to put everyone in a good mood as he served us food and drinks.

As the plane prepared to descend, he came swishing down the aisle and said...

'Captain Marvey has asked me to announce that he'll be landing the big scary plane shortly, so lovely people, if you could just put your trays up, that would be super.' On his trip back up the aisle, he noticed this well-dressed and rather Arabic looking woman hadn't moved a muscle. 'Perhaps you didn't hear me over those big brute engines when I asked you to raise your trazy-poo, so the main man can pitty-pat us on the ground.'

She calmly turned her head and said, 'In my country, I am called a Princess and I take orders from no one.'

To which (I swear) the flight attendant replied, without missing a beat, 'Well, sweet-cheeks, in my country I'm called a Queen, so I outrank you. Tray-up, Bitch'

There was this man who walked into a bar and says to the bartender 10 shots of whiskey.

The bartender asks, "What's the matter?"

The man says, "I found out my brother is gay and marrying my best friend."

The next day the same man comes in and orders 12 shots of whiskey.

The bartenders asks, "What's wrong this time?"

The man says, "I found out that my son is gay."

The next day the same man comes in the bar and orders 15 shots of whiskey.

Then the bartender asks, "Doesn't anyone in your family like women?"

The man looks up and says, "Apprently my wife does."

teflon2 - 2011-01-04 6:48 PM

A word means what it means and pulling compound words apart to suit your own simplistic views won't change that. What do you think "censorship" means - a Roman magistrate on a cross-Channel ferry?

Archived