Help posting a table of sites please?

terryW

Apologies I know this is the wrong forum but I'm asking here because It's under Motorhome Matters that I saw what I need know.

Earlier this year we visited 17 sites in Italy and to/from and I would like to add a table of these and their locations. Then if anyone wants an eye witness account of any of the sites rather than the published version I would be pleased to help. But I have tried every way except the right way to insert a table without success. I know it can be done because I've seen it here.

Someone knows how? Help!

Terry

You may need to use BBCode (bulletin board markup code).

The format for table is (by example):

[table]

[tr] [td]table data[/td] [td]table data[/td] [td]table data[/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td]table data[/td] [td]blank[/td][td]table data[/td] [/tr]

[tr] [td]table data[/td] [td]table data[/td] [td]table data[/td] [/tr]

[/table]

NB I've had to change characters so it can display properly - the real format needs < instead of [ and > instead of ] (otherwise, what I've typed would create a table!).

tr creates a row; td creates a column in the row. So, the above (when < and > is substituted) creates a three row, three column table as below.

table data table data table data
table data blank table data

If you type, then use the preview button, you can check you've got the table correct.

edit - can't count!

Robinhood - 2010-12-22 2:06 PM

You may need to use BBCode (bulletin board markup code).

I wasn't aware of BBCode

Many thanks for your help I will have a play and see what I can do. If you see some strange postings it's probably me!

many thanks

Terry

Terry

You can simply Copy & paste the table, e.g.

Payment Fuel Discount

method

Monthly Electricity & gas £100

Direct Debit

Monthly Electricity £40

Direct Debit

Monthly Gas £50

Direct Debit

Quarterly variable Electricity & gas £100

Direct Debit

Quarterly variable Electricity £40

Direct Debit

Quarterly variable Gas £50

Direct Debit

Receipt of Bill Electricity & gas £10

May not look elegant & out of sync, but if a forum user copies from the forum & back into Excel (or similar) the format will convert it's self back as a table.

terryW - 2010-12-22 2:54 PM

I wasn't aware of BBCode

It's a useful thing to know the basics of, since it allows you to do such things as bold, italic, underline etc. (and the quote capability also uses BBCode).

You can look up on Google for the most used markup, but be aware that different underlying software supports different subsets in different ways.

(For instance, the table example I've used will create a bordered table on some implementations).

....and, having said that, whilst the subsets I've used are BBCode markup characters, the fact that they use < and > leads me to believe that it might in fact be HTML markup we're invoking here - a fact probably confirmed by ticking the "Disable HTML" box and seeing the formatting disappear. So, a whole new set of possibilities!!

So, I pass on a bit of info to you, and discover something new myself.

:-D

Edit....

Yes, it's HTML - I've just added a boder ( [table border] at the start )

Robinhood - 2010-12-22 3:34 PM

terryW - 2010-12-22 2:54 PM

I wasn't aware of BBCode

Edit....

Yes, it's HTML - I've just added a boder ( [table border] at the start )

Many thanks. I should have know, I have the full works on my bookshelf but never used it as I was more interested in Visual Basic at the time.

Apologies to everyone for turning a fantastic Motorhome Forum into a tech shop

Terry

If you go into your Profile using the forum's Control Panel and set "Use rich edit box when composing messages?" to "Yes" you may be able to insert a table into a posting via the appropriate icon on the menu-bar provided. It doesn't seem to work very well with my iMac, but it may be better from a PC.

Archived