New Speed Traps In Spain

mondo

Just come across this in one of the English papers over here in Tenerife..

A speed trap comprising two seperate radars will clock drivers and then work out the vehicles average speed

Two tunnels have been selected for the tests the 3.5Kms long AP-6 Guadarrama tunnel between Madrid and Segovia and the 1 Km tunnel at Torrox heading for Nerja

The DGT will not issue tickets until 1st Feb but drivers will receive a notification until then

Don't know these stretches of road personally but thought I'd put a Heads Up on it!!

I don't know about speed traps but they certainly have speed limits that almost bring you to a stop.

On the equivalent roads that in the UK have the national speed limit of 60mph (97k) their limit is 55mph (90K) they will reduce you down to 60k (37.28mph) then 50k (31.07mph) then 30k (18.64mph) and even 20k (12.43 mph) for just a few metres. where there are building beside the road or where people or other traffic cross unlike the UK.

Spain's seems to have some very excellent roads but it also has some that are no better than tracks in the UK.

Motorway speeds are as fast as the UK 120k (75mph). but slip roads are all signed down progressively unlike the UK where you come from 70mph to 30mph instantly. Spain's sip roads are also much better with longer run on/off sections than found on most UK Motorways.

Personally I prefer to drive in France and Spain now to the UK.

• 2 weeks later...
I can confirm the new speed limit for the tunnel between Torrox and Nerja is now operational - I can see the entrance from my garden here in Spain. However, after upgrading the tunnel recently, the limit has been increased from 80kph to 100kph. As you correctly state, fines for speeding will be issued from 1 February.

Archived