DRIVING AFTER A BYPASS

PANDAMAN

Hello all

I have just come home from a triple heart bypass, and would like to know the time limit till I can drive it, in the after care brochure it says a car with power steering can be driven legally after 2 weeks, but advises 6 to 8 weeks depending on your recovery,

Not driving for 2 months wont matter much due to this bad weather,and seeing it out there cold and lonely gives me a great insentive to do all the

recovery exercises.

Merry Christmas and a happy motorhoming year to you all

Regards Pandaman

I would ask your insurance first what they will provide cover for. Then ring the DVLA or check their web site. Then go to the doctor and have a full medical.

I'd then ask myself am I really well enough to take a vehicle onto a public road and all the responsibility that entails. Then and only then would I even look for the keys.

The urge to get back driving can make us sometimes a bit selfish and we don't always consider the full implications if we get it wrong.

I'm not suggesting you are getting back early but some do and then spend a life time regretting it.

Hi,

I believe that DVLA say you need not inform them if your condition is unlikely to last for more than 3 months ..... at least, that what my mate claimed. On the other hand, I would check to see if there are any specific operations that need to be decared. I suppose, in theory, you are now cured, but your condition should have been reported to DVLA when it was first diagnosed.

From my own experiences, following a appendix op on Wednesday, sent home Saturday, told to expect visit from District Nurse on Tuesday. Nurse phoned on Monday, told me to come to surgery on Tuesday. Then she threw a wobbly when I told her I had driven myself to surgery. (Interestingly, it hurt to lift my right leg into passenger door, but no problem getting into driver's seat).

Visited my doctor to complain about headaches following a fall. Prescribed tablets for blood pressure. Three months later (and two changes of doctor) it was found that I had a Subjural Haematoma, and they drilled a hole in my head. It was at that point that DVLA got involved, stopped me driving for three months .... just in case the operation caused me to start having blackouts.

Archived