High speed ferry - Poole

Hawcara

Just had a quick look on Brittany Ferry site for Poole/Cherbourg. The high speed ferry from Poole seems about the same price as the 'normal' ferry. Has anyone used it and have any thoughts. I may even have got the price wrong!

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year *-)

This is Brittany Ferries advice about vehicle restrictions on their high-speed ferries.

“WHAT ARE THE MAXIMUM VEHICLE DIMENSIONS ON THE HIGH SPEED CROSSINGS?

We cannot accept bookings for the following vehicles on the NORMANDIE VITESSE; vehicles over 3m in height and/or over 6.5m in length; caravans or trailers over 1.83m in height and/or over 4m in length; vehicles over 3.5 tonnes in weight.

On the NORMANDIE EXPRESS, single decker coaches are accepted, as are motorhomes and minibuses with no length restrictions, vans can be up to 6.5m in length. These types of vehicles are unable to have any size trailers/caravans due to the turning circle involved.

For larger vehicles you may be required to reverse on to both of these vessels.”

NORMANDIE VITESSE will operate a daily service from Poole to Cherbourg between the 8th April 2011 and the 31st October 2011 leaving Poole at 07:15 and returning from Cherbourg at 11:15.

NORMANDIE EXPRESS will operate from the 18th March 2011 to the 31st October 2011, with crossing times of only 180 minutes to Cherbourg and 225 minutes to Caen. The ship runs up to two return trips a day to Cherbourg and a daily service to Caen every Friday, Saturday and Sunday supplementing the three return crossings a day by conventional cruise-ferry.

Brittany Ferries booking system suggests that, for the Poole-Cherbourg route in 2011, it would probably be cheaper generally to use the conventional ferry (BARFLEUR) rather than NORMANDIE VITESSE. However, when I obtained a test quote on-line for similar 2011 dates, the NORMANDIE VITESSE quote was actually £20 cheaper.

Although we travel to France exclusively with Brittany Ferries, I never book our crossings via Brittany Ferries' website as I can obtain significantly cheaper fares via MTC.

http://www.ferrytickets.net/

Thank you for that.

Derek, your reply concerning the quote was the reason for my query. I had not thought about these 'supercat' jobs before, although I have been on one across the North Sea, many years ago.

The Cherbourg crossing would be preferable on the conventional ferry, but cost is a factor.

B-)

We used to travel regularly Portsmouth-Cherbourg on P&O's catamaran service.

I think those ships were a fair bit smaller than the current Brittany Ferries ones and their motion in roughish seas could be very abrupt. It used to suit us timing-wise and, because we were P&O stockholders, the price difference between 'fast ferry' and 'cruise ferry' fares wasn't large.

Nowadays we use the Portsmouth-Caen cruise-ferry as that suits us timing-wise, even though I go brain-dead with boredom during the crossing.

We use the Brittany Ferries Fast Cat service from Portsmouth to Cherburg

We are over three meters high due to Sat dome, and 6.2 plus bike rack long.There are restricted places on theses boats for large vehicles, and you have to BACK ON. .Handy as it means you get off first!!

PJay

Hi

I have booked my outfit on the Cherbourge to Poole high speed ferry for July 29th 2011 and they accepted the booking. I have a 6.5m van and a 3m motorcycle trailer and they never questioned the trailer.

I did find it substantially cheaper to book through the Caravan Club though-a saving of about £170 on direct fare (Return) They also gave me 7 camping cheques foc.

I suggest you try CC for a quote and see what they come up with.

Mike

Archived