power

triumph

any advice appriated need to recharge batts 80amps in a day off hook up i have 2 110amp batts how long do i need to drive to charge batts or to run a generator to fully charge batts would a solar panel be any use getting swift mondial in march counting down the days going to iom tt races will be off hook up for 4weeks need to keep batts charged to run cpap breathing machine at night thinking a honda geni might be best at least ill have power thanks triumph ;-)

Strewth ... take a breath!!!!! :-D

Welcome triumph!

I take it you are using 80 amps in a day? From what you've said, IMV, only a generator would suffice for your needs when not on hook up. A solar panel is very unlikely to provide sufficient input especially in March.

I don't claim to know much about Swift Mondials, but this got me to thinking, if they have simelier to CBE PC100 and you connect generator via this you will need to run it for about 10hours to replace 90amp/hr, unless I've got figures wrong.

I don't know which charging unit the Mondial has but a spec I have found on Todds web site says it has a 25A switch mode. Now it won't give up all of its 25A to the batteries as it will use some for the other appliances but say it parts with 16A to the 2 110Ah batteries (about what would be expected) then it would take at least 5hrs to put 80A back. I say at least 'cos it slows down as it gets nearer full.

Might I suggest that if you are going to run the Honda that you disconnect the 2nd battery from the motorhome (use the flip up quick connectors on it) and attach that to the 12v charging output of the Honda (you will need to buy the optional 12v lead from Honda) whilst the 'van is hooked up to the 230v output - that way you will have 2 chargers running and significantly reduce charging time.

Archived