Looking for first caravan and need help

Guest Jo

Hi there, looking for our first family caravan, anyone got any ideas or offers? We are looking for a 5 berth with end bedroom sectioned off with a partision. We are looking for a new or newish caravan. Anyone give us advice on whats the best to look at? or anyone got anything we might be interested in?

Guest Peter Sharpe
Hello Jo. I'm afraid you haven't really given us much to go on. Do you have an upper price limit? What are you planning to tow it with? Are you prepared to include twin axles? How old are the five potential occupants? I feel that you may have to be prepared to compromise a little, as most manufacturers tend to curtain off the occupants of the bunk rather than create what is in effect a space hungry separate bedroom. Are you a traditionalist when it comes to internal decor, or do you prefer the continental style? The Lunar Chateau 500 might be a good place to start if you are prepared to be flexible and it is reasonably manageable for a 5-berth. There are many others of course, but you will have to give us a few more clues as to your preferences.

sorry we are new to this. we are going to be towing with a nissan xtrail diesil. There are only 3 of us myself, my husband and a 2 yr old, the reason for the back partisioned area is for privacy from the wee one and also cos she is a poor sleeper. Prices we are prepared to pay is around the £11/12,000 price tag. We have been offered a 2004 coachman amara 5berth which has never been registered and they are looking for £11,500 for that. is that a good deal?

Guest Peter Sharpe
The Coachman is a good, solid caravan, but I'm afraid it is too heavy to be pulled by your Nissan. You should be looking for a caravan with a maximum weight of about 1,300kg. The price would normally have seemed quite reasonable, but there are so many crazy discount deals being offered at the moment that you could probably have held out for a further reduction. If you really do need the space of a five-berth, have a look at a Bailey Discovery 400 and see if that appeals. It has two completely separate living areas but has a curtain rather than a partition - probably wise for a two-year-old. 2005 ex-demo models are being offered for £8,600, so for a 2004 model you should be aiming to pay no more than about £8,000. The Discovery is Bailey's entry level range and has a hob and grill, but no oven. In spite of this they have been widely acclaimed and ought to be an excellent choice for a first caravan.

we have contacted nissan and they say we are fine to tow this particular caravan and thats even gives us plenty room to take a bit excess. we also have spoken to a few people who tow using nissan xtrails and also say its a great tower. we have bought the coachman and we are ver happy with it, thanx a lot for ur help though, much appreciated x

• 5 months later...
Jo - how has your Amara been? I have just put a deposit on a new (2005) model 500/5 and will be towing with a Freelander TD4. It looked a good buy - certainly the quality of build seemed noticeably superior to several others within the same price bracket, but I'd be interested to know how well it tows and how it's been reliability-wise. Regards, Tony

Guest JoleneT
It is a lovely caravan, great quality, shower and toilet being in one is a bit of a pain as floor is always wet. We do use the shower in it and it is actually not too bad as long as you make sure you have enought water is the aqua roll!!!! Towing is smooth, caravan is heavy so hard to pull by hand. We have just had a motor mover fitted for that. Great caravan well impressed.

Many thanks for your response Jo. The reviews/surveys I've managed to see have been encouraging, but more so when you can get feedback directly from a current user. Looking forward to delivery - we originally fancied the rear washroom (separate shower) but decided the rear dinette/room layout far outweighed the minimal use we would have made of the shower as when we go 'kids free' (eldest is 16 and already looking at holidaying with friends next year), we will use it as a fixed bed. Friends of ours have a challenger with the separate shower layout, but only 'he' uses the shower, his wife and 2 girls use the site showers (probably because they'd need an aquaroll each!). France, here we come ..... Regards, Tony

Guest JoleneT
Me, my hubby and my daughter all use the shower and its been ok so far and my husband is a big fella. Love the caravan and our car has no probs pulling it. Happy caravanning !!!

Archived