top sites 4 motorhomes

gilltaylor

I started a thread in the summer asking for suggestions for great motorhome campsites. Ones where you could park up your van and walk direct from the site, or cycle, or use public transport to get around. A location within walking distance of a town of interest also great.

I've now got about a hundred suggestions from kind forum readers and also via a letter in MMM in December.

Hoping to get a website live in the next couple of weeks with the results of these recommendations and for people ot add to it- both suggestions for new sites and to add detail or reviews to sites already listed.

It's taken me several full days over the Christmas break ot get all this info together and to learn how to make a website so I'm on a steep learning curve.

So excited with the results though and dying to get out and review many of these personally.

Anyone with any suggestions who hasn't already commented please do. All suggestions welcome. I'm concentrating on UK sites but I have a few for Europe too which I hope to grow. Gill Taylor

BGD - 2010-12-30 10:38 PM

The UK is in Europe........

What a challenge it must be to live with you... (lol)

It's common parlance within the UK (and this forum IS part of a UK-located website) to refer to Continental Europe simply as "Europe". This is well-understood and convenient.

A GOOGLE-search on "Europe definition" confirms that usage, with Wikipedia saying:

Sometimes, the word 'Europe' is used in a geopolitically limiting way to refer only to the European Union or, even more exclusively, a culturally defined core. On the other hand, the Council of Europe has 47 member countries, and only 27 member states are in the EU. In addition, people living in insular areas such as Ireland, the United Kingdom, the North Atlantic and Mediterranean islands and also in Scandinavia may routinely refer to "continental" or "mainland" Europe simply as Europe or "the Continent".

Well done Gill - this will be really helpful to many of us. Looking forward to seeing it go "live."

If the new site is open to contributions from others though, keep an eye open for "spammers" trying to advertise unrelated "services"! Another MH site is presently clogged up with loads of these.

Derek Uzzell - 2010-12-31 9:30 AM

BGD - 2010-12-30 10:38 PM

The UK is in Europe........

What a challenge it must be to live with you... (lol)

It's common parlance within the UK (and this forum IS part of a UK-located website) to refer to Continental Europe simply as "Europe". This is well-understood and convenient.

A GOOGLE-search on "Europe definition" confirms that usage, with Wikipedia saying:

Sometimes, the word 'Europe' is used in a geopolitically limiting way to refer only to the European Union or, even more exclusively, a culturally defined core. On the other hand, the Council of Europe has 47 member countries, and only 27 member states are in the EU. In addition, people living in insular areas such as Ireland, the United Kingdom, the North Atlantic and Mediterranean islands and also in Scandinavia may routinely refer to "continental" or "mainland" Europe simply as Europe or "the Continent".

Derek - my point exactly. (As I suspect you knew all along;-)).

That is how a lot of British people use the word, even though it is an incorrect usage. The usage of the word in the sense above illustrates an attitude to the geography of the European continent.

Those British people who use the word thus somehow see "Europe" as being somewhere different to Britain; something different to Britain.

Whilst all the rest of the rest of the world sees Britain as being an integral part of Europe.

And that is one of the reasons why people elsewhere in the continent of Europe find this separatist and isolationist attitude of a lot (note: NOT all, but a lot) of British people so difficult to understand.

:'(

I hear what you say, but, contextually, there was no ambiguity in what Gill wrote, and we both know that you just decided to be picky.

I regularly use "Europe" myself to decribe European areas outside England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. See the following as an example:

HTTP://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2819&posts=1

I don't do this because I am mentally envisaging a geopolitical us-and-them division, but because it's easier and because I know that my 'audience' will have no difficulty understanding what I mean. If necessary (as with my "Gas in Europe" posting) I'll explain in advance how I shall be using the word, but generally it's not necessary to do this. If I said that an Auto-Trail motorhome was "UK-built" and a Rapido motorhome "European-built", I doubt that anyone on this forum would find this confusing.

Well done Gill. Although I am not much of a sites user, it is useful to have a list of recommended sites, especially if there is a bit of extra local information to go with it.

In answer to BGD and his technically correct assessment of Europe, I class myself as European.

That is because some of my forebears are buried there. Well, some of them have no known graves but at least they have their name on monuments.

Excellent website Gill, very professional-looking and easy to use - well done! (Must have taken weeks to sort that lot out!)

From now on your website will be an essential part of our research when we are planning a weekend or touring.

I have already mentioned a couple of sites, but will be contacting you via the site with others, and hope that other forum members do the same. Let's hope you don't get too inundated with recommendations, but I suspect you will :D

PS - could the so-called 'experts', 'stalwarts' and other 'idiots' please stop polluting the 'Motorhome Matters' forum with their crass pedantry and childish striving for one-upmanship >:-(

It REALLY is not BIG or CLEVER *-)

gilltaylor - 2011-01-05 8:52 AM The site is now Live!! Let me know what you think and thanks to everyone who contributed. It's a start. I hope to spend some time this year personally visiting more of the sites. www.topsites4motorhomes.co.uk Gill B-)

Gill, that is excellent, and very professional looking.  I have one suggestion, for which I apologise, and one question.

My suggestion is to add GPS coordinates for the sites. Even if folk are not using sat-nav to get there, it allows the precise location to be viewed in Google Earth, so should help in placing a site on a map.

My question is whether you will add pages for mainland European (pedant's corner active here! :-)) countries as well. 

Clearly you have done a huge amount of work on this, so I'm not trying to "stress test" your willingness, but is it possible for others to be able to contribute, possibly by taking on chunks of the work, without opening the site to possible abuse of the type mentioned above?  Something like licenced contributors.

In the meantime, congratulations, and many thanks.

well done Gill

looks excellant :-D

havent had time to look properly, but 1st impressions are very good, hope to add to your list in the future, if you keep"bumping" this post periodically, it will give us all and future members a reminder :-S cos us men need that :'( (lol)

keep up the good work

jonathan

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-05 11:54 AM
gilltaylor - 2011-01-05 8:52 AM The site is now Live!! Let me know what you think and thanks to everyone who contributed. It's a start. I hope to spend some time this year personally visiting more of the sites. www.topsites4motorhomes.co.uk Gill B-)

Gill, that is excellent, and very professional looking.  I have one suggestion, for which I apologise, and one question.

My suggestion is to add GPS coordinates for the sites. Even if folk are not using sat-nav to get there, it allows the precise location to be viewed in Google Earth, so should help in placing a site on a map.

My question is whether you will add pages for mainland European (pedant's corner active here! :-)) countries as well. 

Clearly you have done a huge amount of work on this, so I'm not trying to "stress test" your willingness, but is it possible for others to be able to contribute, possibly by taking on chunks of the work, without opening the site to possible abuse of the type mentioned above?  Something like licenced contributors.

me too, all the way B-)seem to be a number of club sites on there though, would like to see a greater variety if possiblecan't really help because we normally start our trips with a ferry trip these days but good luck

Thanks Gill, now added into my Favourites folder. I noticed in your list of Counties that you had not got Dorset listed so here is one for you. Just used the site for the New Year break and it is very good.

South Lytchett Manor caravan Site, Lytchett Minster, Poole, Dorset.

Hardstanding Pitches, Individual EHU points, Water tap on pitch, Grey waste drainage on Pitch (Not used in freezing conditions). M'Home Grey Waste drain at Washroom, Chemical Disposal. Small shop on site selling basic provisions and Calor Gas Cylinders.

Bus stop immediately outside camp gates to Poole-Swanage. Bus stops at Poole Railway Station.

20 minute walk to local village with lots of shops.

St. peters Finger Pub in Lytchett Minster (10 mins walk) but no shops.

Hi Gill

As Brian & others have said an excellent effort by you.

I found your site very easy to use and hopefully others will forward many more sites they can recommend.

We find it very always useful to have knowledge of other Motorhome users experiences.

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-05 11:54 AM

I have one suggestion, for which I apologise, and one question.

Brian can I suggest a possible short term solution

When Gill first asked for sites information a while back, I sent her info on sites in Lincolnshire. Most of which I had copied & pasted from each sites own website of other Campsite sources.

It should be possible to use Gill's website "Contact us" facility to submit information of other sites so she can add to the website.

A quick alternative would simply to forward the "Sites" website address(es) for Gill to use as an hyperlink from her http://www.topsites4motorhomes.co.uk/

Guest JudgeMental

some of the CC sites can be in rubbish locations, a few we stayed at had such fast trffic outside we where scared to cycle let alone walk! (with no pedestrian path *-))

So this site will be welcome in spotlighting "friendly" sites to stop at :-D

Great site Gill - well done and thank you (especially as you are a newish member to spend so much of your time at Christmas). I, for one, welcome a site such as this as my motorhome is somewhat large to find parking spaces and my days of cycling are over! Learning to set up a website is something I have been promising myself for a long time but haven't a clue where to start.

I had a look at Worcestershire, as that is where I live, and have noticed that some editing needs doing to the Blackmore CC site as some of this information is out of date e.g. the bus routes and other snippets could be added. Is there any way that forum members can offer their services to do this or should we email the information to you?

An excellent site, thanks gill. Especially for 2 nervous newbies who have only our maiden voyage under our belts which was Lady Margaret CC site Chirk, late November for 3 nights. Friendly wardens who took great care of the grounds and toilet block. :-D

Archived