Not having a Certificate of Conformity

Cattwg

In another thread Mel B posed the question “So what happens if you haven't got a certificate of conformity in the first place? Never had one yet and we've had 3 new vans.”

As far as I can see an answer was never given.

Like Mel we have had three professionally converted ‘vans (albeit second hand) bought from dealers and never a Certificate of Conformity. So I ask Mel’s question again “What happens if you do not have a C of C?”

Cattwg :-D

Guest JudgeMental
I only know about the COC in relation to importing a NEW vehicle and trying to get it registered as new..... Once registered I dont think it is a concern, but difficult to register an import van without I would think *-)

What is the context of your query?  What do you want from the CoC?

It is a document that proves the subject vehicle has passed, and so conforms with, the EU Type Approval procedures, and lists all the relevant data relating to having gained TA.  Up until 29 April 2011, no UK manufactured and sold motorhome has required (but from 29 April 2012 all will require) EU TA, so no vans bought in UK to date are likely to have a CoC.  Some imports may have been supplied with CoCs, but they have not been a legal requirement, and will not become a legal requirement for vans sold before 29/4/11.

Both of ours, one bought from France, and one from Germany, had CoCs, because in both France and Germany EU TA has been required for a number of years.

Mel's won't have had CoCs because, like the great majority of UK registered vans, they were bought in UK.  No legal requirement: no CoC supplied, even where one may have existed.

You certainly need a Certificate of Conformity if you want to import a vehicle into another country. I imported a small Fiat into France and that needed one but the French authorities dealt with the formalities. I was lucky as the car was on their list but if the vehicle is "special" then you have to contact the manufacturer yourself and perhaps this would apply to a m/home as two manufacturers are involved.

When I wanted to re-register my motorhome in France I needed to provide a CoC from the converter (not from Fiat) and before I could get that I had to have the vehicle inspected and certified by "An Approved Inspection and Testing Agency", I used Veritas, only because I knew the name from my previous "life" in the UK. They charged a fee and then the converter charged a fee also. It isn't cheap to jump through all the required hoops.

J

eljay - 2010-12-31 8:43 PM

When I wanted to re-register my motorhome in France I needed to provide a CoC from the converter (not from Fiat) and before I could get that I had to have the vehicle inspected and certified by "An Approved Inspection and Testing Agency", I used Veritas, only because I knew the name from my previous "life" in the UK. They charged a fee and then the converter charged a fee also. It isn't cheap to jump through all the required hoops.

J

Just out of curiosity, what make/model of motorhome did you import into France, please, and was it LHD or RHD? Plainly it was Fiat-based and I think (from scanning your earlier postings) that it may have been a tandem rear-axle design, but I couldn't easily find any other details.

Hi Derek,

My vehicle is a Bürstner Elegance I710, first reg 2006, LHD bought, second hand, in the UK. This is a 4000kg, single rear axle version. Co-incidentally, I have seen a French reg tandem-axle version and he was towing a small Citroen on an A-frame.

J

Archived