Satalite Broadband

tonyhutch

I am looking to spend more time in the van, but wish to keep in contact with the office by broadband, using a dongle is often too slow.

Does anyone have any experiance of using mobile satalite broadband from a camper van, can it be done at a reasonable cost?

Tonyhutch

Just in case this person does not see your post, I know someone on here bought the system and it cost over £3000 to instal but I am unsure of the running costs. You could try the search engine as this query has risen before but if I remember correctly the thread concerned the Camos dome originally and then mutated!

If you have a French address you can sign up to SFR who provide mobile broadband in their package. Otherwise it is very expensive with the exchange rate as it is. There are lots of "mediateques", usually in each town, where you can get very fast access either for free or for a small fee. Most campsites also have access now at varying costs and for this a Hawking range extender is good.

Hi Tony

I have the Alden Netmaster, Ideal for business use, unlike dongles the speed and continuity of signal does not waver throughout UK, France and Spain. Cost wise, a bit daft I know but ive forgotten. First 2 years were included. Seem ti think its £300ish for 2 Years.

Dennis

Porky - 2011-01-03 10:31 AM
Patricia - 2011-01-02 10:10 AM a Hawking range extender is good.
Wotz one of them*-) Roy

However, I think it is irrelevant to satellite broadband, and is probably impractical for extending range to allow access to WiFi where the signal strength is low - unless you want to keep setting it up at each new location.  It functions as a WiFi relay station, working by extending the range of a WiFi network from a point mid-way between transmitter and receiver, but requires 230V power to work.

My suggestion for the Hawking is for use on campsites or, if you wish to search for an unprotected signal (and risk the consequences!) it certainly extends even very weak signals. This is the model I have: Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter, IEEE 802.11g Standard (HWU8DD(A)).

Archived