generators

triumph

Guest JudgeMental
Orrible nasty,devilish inventions and totally unnecessary... used primarily by selfish and lazy people who are not campers? :D

Hi triumph,

You will be starting to get the picture now about gennies. Most people do not like being parked up next to one. The Hondas are very quiet and worth paying more for.

The biggest gripe with gennies is owners running them for hours on end. You can buy a lot of solar power for the price of a Honda.

A genny will not make as much noise as the bikes at TT, so I will not bite like the others who don't know the curcumstances of you wanting one.

p.s. I would question the power usage you quoted on other thread as it seems high even taking into account your health issues, but is it also because of a electric fridge?

Sorry we are not lazy campers but we will be wild camping for at least a month over at the Isle of Man for the TT racing so the noise of the genny wouldnt be heard over the noise of the racers.I only want to know if if the Kipor is worth buying.thanks.

Guest Tracker

Come on guys - he only asked for some help.

Sorry Triumph but I've never had one but according to a mate who has one that the Kipor is a Chinese copy of Honda and as such is cheaper but works well.

I can't comment on warranty or spare parts and I believe that I read somewhere - maybe on here - that Honda have taken legal steps to halt Kipor imports - but I could be wrong?

Oh - and yes - I would rather you parked next to someone else too!

In answer to your original question Triumph, I have a Kippor and it is one of the best investments I have made. It will charge your batteries and depending on what size a lot more. I do not see the point of spending a lot of money on Honda when you can get the same result for a lot less money by purchasing Kippor. Make sensible use of it and you will have no problems. Forget the comments made by those not in the real world.

Hi,

If you want something for charging just batteries, solar or fuel cell as Clive points out in Interchange P180,182. is the quite way to go.

On the other hand if you want a genny for the occasional use ,eg run a small microwave, kettle, yes the Kipor 2600 is excellent.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Brendan

Hello. One point in favour of the genny is that it can be used anywhere, ie away from the motorhome...(even at home in a power cut)......solar panels fitted to the motorhome.......well they're limited to the motorhome.

(Yes I know that one can use the motorhome in a power cut, but what about the home fridge and freezer?)

Now I'm not against the solar panels, but like now, short dull days, with long evenings drain on the batteries they dont make sense to me. Yes they are ok when there's enough light, say summertime when the battery drain is much lower and they produce much more power.........

My problem with the genny is that they take up usable space and they require a different fuel. (In my case.)

Yes got a Kipor don't use it much as they are deemed antisocial by the majority on this forum and I always use sites with hookup so i'm a total wus. Must say though it starts every time even when left for a year or two just put in a drop of Redex. John 8-)

Triumph,

Only just seen your post as we are currently in Portugal (no, the weather is not particularly good but I guess it's better than at home!).

We have a Kippor 2kw genny, had it about five years now, no trouble at all. We frequently run it for several hours at a time (no, not on a site, we use our van as a mobile office at outdoor events and we need to run a laptop and laser printer) and it has never (touch wood, dare I say this) let us down. We have it serviced annually as we are a bit mechanically challenged but other than that all we do is put petrol in it. It is a bit of a struggle for me to start from cold, but once my husband has got it going, usually at the second or third pull, I can usually get it going again.

Hope this helps

Rowan

Archived