3M Filter cartridge required!

oldlowie

Well - I suppose it had to happen :$

Just got back from a cruise before Christmas and thought it was a bit parky in dear old Blighty. My daughter said the temperature fell to -8 on a couple of nights!

Anyway, with Christmas over we decided to give the new 'van its second outing on New year's Day, a couple of nights at Baltic Wharf CC as they had a vacant pitch 8-)

Filled the water tank, switched on the pump - what's that hissing noise coming from the cupboard under the sink? Quite a lot of water, that's what :-(

Turned off the pump and looked for a leak; didn't have to look very far as the filter cartridge was still dripping. Unscrewed it and took a look, split like a carrot; must have been the frost >:-(

Mrs O very game and just said 'let's go anyway, who needs water?' So we did, and a nice weekend we had too :-D

Now to the point. Can anyone tell me where I can get a 3m water filter cartridge, type E1, and a little bypass insert, that can be installed in place of the cartridge? I would have thought the 'van would have come with that bit, but I'll talk to the dealer about that when they re-open.

I've seen one on campervanstuff.com, but wondered if any forum experts know of anyone local to the South-West (?)

Happy New Year to all those motorhomers out there :-D :-D :-D

The bypass should have come with the van.

Can't help with a supplier in the SW, but the cheapest (by far) mail-order that I have found is:

http://www.towsure.com/product/17256-3M_In-Line_Water_Filter_Replacement_Cartridge

...and yes, the price is correct (I picked one up instore some time ago).

I'm looking for somewhere in the UK that stocks the E2 filter. 

Robinhood - 2011-01-03 6:30 PM

Can't help with a supplier in the SW, but the cheapest (by far) mail-order that I have found is:

http://www.towsure.com/product/17256-3M_In-Line_Water_Filter_Replacement_Cartridge

Are you certain that's the right cartridge? On the following link there are pictures of a 3m E1 cartridge and the Towsure-marketed one and there seem to be differences (not just in the asking price!)http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/3m+replacement+water+filter+cartridge?sb=1

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-03 6:45 PM
Robinhood - 2011-01-03 6:30 PM

Are you certain that's the right cartridge? On the following link there are pictures of a 3m E1 cartridge and the Towsure-marketed one and there seem to be differences (not just in the asking price!) http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/3m+replacement+water+filter+cartridge?sb=1

Without going out and trying to fit it, I can only be 99.9% certain its correct. (whilst the 'van is drained down, it is up against the hedge which makes access difficult ;-) )

I know the label looks slightly different on the example you've pulled up, but the one on the towsure site, and the physical label on mine, look like that on the 3m site.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_EU/EU-Cuno/Home/Markets/WaterFiltration/CaravanMarine/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQKNG6_assetId=1180571861233

...and all the fittings look correct. (I have it in front of me). The red top is simply a removable cover.

It would appear that there may be some different labelling on various parts.  

Derek Uzzell - 2011-01-04 9:34 AM I was more concerned about the apparently different shape of the two cartridges' upper surface (one flat, the other domed), but the cartridge shown on your link - and described as an "E1" - certainly looks to be the same as the one in the Towsure advert.

The Towsure one is flat - it's just the angle the picture is taken at. ;-)

I'm pretty sure that the various cartridges on offer, though of the same spec, have been made either at different times or in different countries (the original manufacturer was Cuno in the States - taken over by 3M). The picture on the box of the one I bought has a label that is different to that on the contents, which is different again to the other picture you posted. I'm sure it's the correct one, however.

All I need now is to find a UK stockist of the E2 rated filter (Hobby supply this as standard when shipped - and it has a similar rating to the Nature Pure one, i.e. it removes almost all 'nasties', but there appears to be very few stockists, even in Germany).

oldlowie - 2011-01-04 9:42 AM Thanks for your input chaps :-D Have taken the plunge and ordered the one from Towsure. I will let you know if it fits in a few days... (lol)

Well........I've now checked, and the fitting is exactly the same as the E2 rated cartridge that is currently on mine, so I don't forsee any problems.  :-)

UPDATE:

Just taken delivery of the new cartridge (next-day delivery from Towsure costs £9.95, but I bought a few 'bits' for the camper while I was at it - as you do) *-)

I'm glad to say it fits a treat, so there is no need for anyone to pay more than £15.95 for this cartridge.

Thanks very much for your help robinhood, you saved me around 17 quid, so that's a drink I owe you :D :D :D

oldlowie - 2011-01-05 7:41 PM UPDATE:  Thanks very much for your help robinhood, you saved me around 17 quid, so that's a drink I owe you :D :D :D

Glad to be of assistance.

Standard delivery is cheaper, of course, but when you need it urgently, next-day cost is cheaper than driving somewhere to get one, especially as you would probably end up paying so much more for it.

Hope you're lucky with the bypass plug - in theory, they're available separately - in practice you may struggle unless you can get one from your original supplier. Info on the whole 3M system is difficult to obtain (the 3M websites take you round in circles), and there appears to be only a restricted set of stockists.

As I've said, I'd like to get a replacement E2 rated filter (it takes out bacteria and other nasties, a bit like the Nature Pure kit) but I can't find anywhere on-line in the UK, and only a very small number of suppliers abroad (though there's one in Germany that looks promising). A bit more expensive at around £60, but not far off the Nature Pure price, and a much higher flow-rate. 

Time to dust off my schoolboy German again, I think. :-)

oldlowie - 2011-01-03 6:00 PM

I've seen one on campervanstuff.com, but wondered if any forum experts know of anyone local to the South-West (?)

Happy New Year to all those motorhomers out there :-D :-D :-D

Chelston Motorhomes just off the M5 near Wellington ?

Robinhood - 2011-01-05 8:46 PM

As I've said, I'd like to get a replacement E2 rated filter (it takes out bacteria and other nasties, a bit like the Nature Pure kit) but I can't find anywhere on-line in the UK, and only a very small number of suppliers abroad (though there's one in Germany that looks promising).

I'm going to the Shepton Mallet Show on Sunday, so will see if I can find anyone selling the E2 quality version. If I do I'll get their contact details and let you know...

PS - Called the dealer about the 'bypass plug' yesterday. They talked to Auto-sleepers, who must have told them that they send this bit down with the 'van. The dealer must have had a rummage around their workshops, 'cos I received one from them in the post this morning - result!! :-D :-D :-D

• 2 months later...

Well, I finally got round to chasing a replacement E2 (bacteria removal) filter, as opposed to the E1 (taste) filter which is all I can raise in the UK.

Hobby supplied an E2 rated filter with the 'van, and these appear to be the ones more commonly in use in Germany.

I got Hobby UK to give me a price, and then politely declined (I'm not sure that they really quoted for the correct unit :-S )

Anyway, after putting the schoolboy German to the test again, I've got a supplier in Germany to quote for delivery to the UK (for EU 8,60) and the unit itself is EU 66,90. Payment via Paypal.

It sounds a bit expensive, but I got used to the Nature-Pure on the previous 'van, and this filter is similar in effect, whilst being a "whole system" filter, not just a single, dedicated tap. As the Nature-Pure filters are £55.00, it's not too bad in comparison.

BTW, if anyone is considering replacing the E1 filter with the E2 (as the system now appears to be fitted on some Auto-Sleepers as per this thread)note that the E2 filter is longer, so clearance could be an issue.

Not the same function, Peter. :-(

The Whale filters are essentially "taste" filters, with a little bit of silver added to inhibit bacteria growth in the filter.

This is much like the 3M E1 filter, that fits my system, and I can get a bit cheaper than that.

The 3M E2 rated filter, much like the Nature Pure, removes the overwhelming majority of biological contamination from the water.

My Father always said that "you've got to eat a bit of dirt before you die", but given the behaviour I've seen around supposedly drinking water taps, I prefer to be a bit choosy about the type of dirt.

(lol)

Archived