aire near bus station @ barcelona ?

berti

Guest JudgeMental
Bertie! questions have been asked recently regards your wherabouts...nice to see you are still at it. Be careful around Barcelona mind, it has a real crime problem due to heroin :-S

I'll second that.

I would not even consider staying anywhere in the area of Barcelona if it was not on a site with security. the place is a hell hole of beggars and thieves.

The city is wonderful, its just that the crime on the streets is enormous.

We stayed at Villa Nova, 90 mins away by local bus and they had 24 hour security on site.

Four years ago we stayed at 3 Estrellas site at Gava Mar - right next to the beach/sea and about 300 metres from a bus stop. (It is close to the airport. but we didn't find that intrusive.) From what I remember, the journey by bus into the city centre took 30/45 minutes. It was then one euro per person each way. It is worth checking to see if the site still accepts Camping Cheques. ( It certainly did a couple of years ago from mid March till the end of June and from the beginning of September till mid October.)

The site was good with exceptionally well maintained/cleaned sanitary facilities. We were able to choose our pitch and were able to get well away from the dual carriageway which runs past the front. Staff were very helpful.

The only problem we encountered in 8 days in the city was a bogus policeman near the bus stop by the camp site. He wanted our English money but we wouldn't play his game and he left. He was around another day but there were too many people at the bus stop for him to approach anyone.

If we go back to Barcelona we would certainly stay at 3 Estrellas providing the cost was good.

Hi Berti, the aire at Barcelona is outside the main city area and not near a bus station, but there is a tram stop right outside and that will take you to the centre. It is secure as any site could be, it is fenced off and staffed 24 hours a day. It has showers but to be honest your vans' bathroom would be a much better option! It has hook up and all the usual stuff on an aire, but you might need a longer lead than the usual 25 mtr one, or another lead!

We used it for 3 mights last year and it can be noisey because the main dual carriageway is at the back of it, but for a few nights stay is more than adequate.

If you have an ACSI card, and are visiting the city within the discount periods the Tres Estrellas site just outside Barcelona might be a better bet as it will be cheaper, (using the ACSI card). There is a bus stop there to get into Barca. too.

There is another aire advertised on Campincarinfos as being at the port area, that is near a coach station but it is just a day parking area with no facilities, security or even designated motorhome area. We parked there for an hour or so and we could have stayed overnight but it was just too exposed for us.

As has been said Villa Nova park 90 minutes away..If you stay there they actually do a really good all day trip to Barcelona once a week cost is around 35Euros (as at Jan 09) that includes transport to the station at Villa nova il Geltru and the train fare to Barcalona and entrance to a couple of tourist spots

Villa Nova Park is in the ACSI Book!!

15 years ago we stayed at Camping El Masnou - just a few kms NE of Barcelona. We would walk to the train station - the train went directly into the Barcelona underground & stopped at the main central subway stops. Nice spot with sites terraced - all overlooking the Med IIRC. (Not to be confused with a much further camping near Figueres called Masnou).

When we stayed there, it was very well run by a family that lived in a house on site, but if the review at the link below is anything to rely on, it may have gone downhill since then!

http://wikimapia.org/1413645/Camping-in-El-Masnou

Also found this:

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/accommodation/camping-in-barcelona.html

Stayed at Villanova Park last year. Local bus right outside camp gates takes you to the local railway station. Train goes to Barcelona no need for changes. Spent a good day in the city including two of the city tour buses. Did nearly get robbed by a street thief but they didn't count on my eagle eyed OH, and by the way the street thief was a young, attractive female so it wasn't all my fault :D :D

mel wood - 2011-01-04 2:49 PM

Hi again,

I've just checked and 3 Estrella is in the 2011 Camping Cheques list - same dates as in 2009. Also as Tommo said it is in the ACSI book for 2011.

Tres Estrellas is very good for getting in to Barca. About 10 miles south of the city. It also backs straight onto the beach.

We've used it a couple of times now; we were last there about 3 months ago........we go into the city on the scooter when there, but the bus service is I hear very good, and there's a stop only about 300 metres from the site entrance.

It takes ACSI card.

There is a downside, and that is aircraft noise (the airport is maybe a mile of two away, and when the take-off flight path goes over the site, the planes are LOUD), so take ear plugs. Not the end of the world, but worth mentioning.

When visiting Barca, enjoy the place (it is wonderful) but DO NOT take valuables, lots of credit card, passports etc into the city - and ladies, do not take a handbag. Really. Do not.

It's the pickpocket capital of the known universe.

We've got lots of friends who knew all this stuff in advance, who said they were being totally security conscious whilst there; yet STILL two ladies we know had her handbags stolen and a guy had his wallet lifted whilst on trips there.

Just take a little cash, distributed around two or three button-able inside pockets, and you'll be just fine.

It is NOT a violent city at all and is a wonderful place to visit, but real pro pickpockets lurk everywhere in the crowded touristy areas; so don't give them anything to steal whilst there.

http://www.campingbarcelona.com/

we stayed here for 2 nights back in October 2010. Nice site, acsi. big pitches. Clean facilities with lots of hot water. Really nice reception staff. Bar and restaurant, shop etc etc.

its north of Barcelona at Mataro.

They have a free shuttle bus to Barcelona several times a day which drops you off in Placa de Catalunya, and of course brings you back, you just have to book the night before.

We had a good two days in Barcelona and we did not have to leave until just before 8pm on the day we left. So it was well worth it.

carol

Havent camped at barca but have stayed in city centre hotels a few times and I can certainly agree with the comments re crime. Street crime and street scams are rife, dont trust anyone and dont get into conversation with anyone on the street. Never had any problems personally but no many many people who have, in fact on thinking about it of all the people I know who have been me and mrs ips are the only ones who havent had a problem.

So be carefull out there its a jungle......... ;-)

Tomo3090 - 2011-01-04 3:39 PM

Hi Berti, the aire at Barcelona is outside the main city area and not near a bus station, but there is a tram stop right outside and that will take you to the centre. It is secure as any site could be, it is fenced off and staffed 24 hours a day. It has showers but to be honest your vans' bathroom would be a much better option! It has hook up and all the usual stuff on an aire, but you might need a longer lead than the usual 25 mtr one, or another lead!

We did a couple of nights there a year or two ago. Perfect for visiting the city.

More secure than any campsite I've ever stayed at!!

Hi Berti, nice to see you posting and you are still on your travels, bet you have a adventure while you are there. Like others said we stayed at Villa Nova and caught a bus to train station then train right into Barcelona, make time to go into the Market down Las Ramblas its amazing. Carol.

Archived