Solar Panel Costs

kelly58

I have just had a quote from Marquis to supply and fit a Solar Panel to our new Autosleeper Nuevo II EK no idea what size or model but was stunned to be quoted £931.02. As I have no idea of the price of solar panels,but this seems a bit excessive to me or perhaps I am wrong in thinking it would be a lot less than the price quoted.

First decide if you need a solar panel, or it is just that you think you need one.

Then find what the items cost that are in your system. That will give you a good idea of what the charge is for labour.

Next decide if you are prepared to pay this price or will look for a cheaper option.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful than this, I don't know what the installation cost would be and I don't know the size (wattage etc of the system)

kelly58

Take a look at:

http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/acatalog/Solar_Panels_Modules.html

for some details of sizes and costs.

The figures you have been quoted cannot be commented on without knowing the details of the equipment specified.

Also it might be worth your while looking at:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22097&posts=15

on this Forum ........... good luck

Guest JudgeMental
You may not even need one? Have you a second leisure battery? That is usually enough for most of us.....There is an excellent report on "3 years use of a solar panel" on this page somewhere

Have a look at Stone Wind and Solar (stonewindandsolar.co.uk)

A 90 watt panel, complete with regulator and everything else needed is £315 inc. VAT and delivery. The 120 watt model is £385.

I have the 90 watt model and it is a good bit of kit. Fitting costs should not be too much, giving you a big saving.

kelly58 - 2011-01-05 10:34 AM I have just had a quote from Marquis to supply and fit a Solar Panel to our new Autosleeper Nuevo II EK no idea what size or model but was stunned to be quoted £931.02. As I have no idea of the price of solar panels,but this seems a bit excessive to me or perhaps I am wrong in thinking it would be a lot less than the price quoted.

But how on earth can you have a priced quote for anything, if you haven't agreed what they will be selling you.  Without a basis for quote, the cost is totally meaningless.

Your question seems to be: "is £931.02 expensive for a solar panel?"  Assuming this is correct, the answer is that it may be, but there again it may not, depending on size and quality of said panel, what controller is installed, whether it also includes an additional battery, and how much of the cost is for materials and how much for labour. 

I suggest you go back to Marquis and either tell them what you want, or ask them to provide the obvious and necessary detail for evaluation.  Ye Gods, but give us a chance, and we may be able to answer!

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-05 5:24 PM
kelly58 - 2011-01-05 10:34 AM I have just had a quote from Marquis to supply and fit a Solar Panel to our new Autosleeper Nuevo II EK no idea what size or model but was stunned to be quoted £931.02. As I have no idea of the price of solar panels,but this seems a bit excessive to me or perhaps I am wrong in thinking it would be a lot less than the price quoted.

But how on earth can you have a priced quote for anything, if you haven't agreed what they will be selling you.  Without a basis for quote, the cost is totally meaningless.

Your question seems to be: "is £931.02 expensive for a solar panel?"  Assuming this is correct, the answer is that it may be, but there again it may not, depending on size and quality of said panel, what controller is installed, whether it also includes an additional battery, and how much of the cost is for materials and how much for labour. 

I suggest you go back to Marquis and either tell them what you want, or ask them to provide the obvious and necessary detail for evaluation.  Ye Gods, but give us a chance, and we may be able to answer!

No Extra Battery Solar panel + parts £602.52 Carraige £16.50 Labour 5 hrs £312.00 total £931.02

What really brought the value of solar panels to me was the " Three Years with a Solar panel" posting and the comment "4) One conclusion we have come to, is that fitting an extra battery is a more cost-effective solution to the power problem that is fitting a solar panel."

Glad I have Kipp??

kelly58 - 2011-01-06 10:05 PM

No Extra Battery Solar panel + parts £602.52 Carraige £16.50 Labour 5 hrs £312.00 total £931.02

Assuming that is the sum total of the quote you received, what size is the panel (wattage + dimensions), mono, or poly crystalline, rigid or flexible, flat or sun-tracking, what brand and model, how is it to be secured to the roof, what make and model is the controller, what the hell is the carriage charge for, is all wiring to be concealed or just routed as convenient to the fitter, what actual parts are included within the price, and whose labour is being charged at over £60 per hour - the tea boy's or a continuously engaged skilled auto electrician?

That isn't a quotation, it isn't even a decent a rough order of cost estimate!  You can have no idea what quality of equipment, standard of installation, or quality of labour, is contemplated.  All one can say is that a chimpanzee should be able to make a profit on that price and, if you order from them on the basis of that quote, probably will!

In short, get a price from someone who will do you the courtesy of not treating you like a complete idiot!!  :-(

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-07 12:14 AM

Assuming that is the sum total of the quote you received, what size is the panel (wattage + dimensions), mono, or poly crystalline, rigid or flexible, flat or sun-tracking, what brand and model, how is it to be secured to the roof, what make and model is the controller, what the hell is the carriage charge for, is all wiring to be concealed or just routed as convenient to the fitter, what actual parts are included within the price, and whose labour is being charged at over £60 per hour - the tea boy's or a continuously engaged skilled auto electrician?

That isn't a quotation, it isn't even a decent a rough order of cost estimate!  You can have no idea what quality of equipment, standard of installation, or quality of labour, is contemplated.  All one can say is that a chimpanzee should be able to make a profit on that price and, if you order from them on the basis of that quote, probably will!

In short, get a price from someone who will do you the courtesy of not treating you like a complete idiot!!  :-(

We bought the motorhome from Marquis ,so I just rang them for a rough quote to supply and fit a solar panel to the Autoslleeper Nuevo II . After the initial shock of the price I did not go any further with details as to what type / size etc the only thing I know is that according to the AS manual AS supply a proper made up loom to facilitate the fitting of a solar panel to the appropriate model. Me thinks a secong leisure battery may be the answer to extra power and more cost effective , but will still be worth asking at one of the shows later in the year.

But, and it is a very big but, only if you know the basis of the quotes.

Consider: how much does a car cost?  Is £12,000 a good price? 

Before you can hope to know the answer to either question, you need to know what make, model, and specification.  Only then can you decide which garage is making the best offer.

So with installation of a solar panel.  I suggest you mug up on solar panels (or, for that matter, batteries), so that you know whether you are being offered a good product at a good price, or a very inferior product that is cheap, but in fact poor value.

Marquis may be offering an excellent, but expensive, installation that in fact represents excellent value.  You'll never be able to judge, and nor will anyone else, whether that is the case, until you put yourself in possession of knowledge.

Guest JudgeMental
Just live with a 2 battery set up at first, and see how you get on? its like refillable gas, great if you make use of it, but an expensive upgrade if you dont :-S

Hello , I think you have made the correct decision.......

Have to admit that I almost fitted one ( it's a great gizmo) but the cost/benefit analysis along with the batteries not being a problem over our New Year 4/5 nights off HU put me off parting with my cash. (Except the £16 pound I spent on a 16 amp regulator before engaging brain....well, it did seem like a good idea and everyone else was doing it.)

Now that doesn't mean I will never fit one. I have mentally planed a "sun-follower" that I may build if ever I get the time, boys n toys syndrome. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2011-01-07 12:14 AM

Blunt and to the point Brian. Well said. Makes you wonder what planet some dealers are on. Give someone a price and then decide what you are going to supply to get maximum profit. I sure don't seem to pay to be straight up and honest in business these days.

So if the conversation went this way.

I'd like to have a solar panel so we can go off hook up,

what sort of set up do you want.

I want something that is good & will last.

ok, so he prices for a morningstar mppt controller: £229.64... 5yr Warranty.

& the panel a Kyocera Solar Panel - KD70 @ £321.11 with performance warranties of 20 years. (the 135 watt would be better @ £405.29)

(prices from solar-wind.co.uk)

mounting brackets from maplins £40.99 http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=97386

Sikaflex, cable, conectors etc £30

& you have a great system

then the fitting 8-)

or buy a panel & have it free standing

as you can move the panel to face the sun a 50 watt would give similar results to the 70 watt, but we'll stick to the 70 watt Kyocera Solar Panel @ £321.11 & be over the top ;-)

& as its free standing a standard but good quality regulator will be ok,

Morningstar Sunsaver 6.5A, 12v Solar Charge Controller @ £46.86

the stand for the solar panel cable & connectors plus a good quality chain will take you up to about £500 & the fitting could be DIY

a once only price & no running costs.....ever....& totally silent

& that's only with a quick search

Paul

Archived