Got the new van, questions

Hawcara

Just picked up new Chausson Flash 04. Good deal from Highbridge but one or two problems on pick up. The most annoying being, when we tried to get the water to work. Fortunately booked a site about 15miles away.

When we contacted them, discovered that water filter plastic housing had split. They stated that the PDI had taken place before Christmas and that it must have frozen. We assumed (silly I know) that, that would be the one thing that would work and we would not have to check, by filling with water there.

We took the van back, it was now dark, they fixed it and we drove back to CL in dark.

So the questions:

1.Mel has already stated that the grill only worries the toast, however there is a vent behind it, through which there is a draught. Where can one obtain the covers, cheaply?

2.When we got back to the storage place, we found that the catch on the dometic fridge does not work, or rather it stopped working and is stuck in the 'locked' position. The fridge door was open at the time, the door shuts and it should not be a problem. It would have been a different matter if it had been shut and then stuck, if you see what I mean. Is there a fix for this? We will take it back to Highbridge, but can see it happening again.

3. On the Ford cab cannot get the menu options eg fuel etc to operate. can get any language-Polish, German etc, can operate trip and get the temp outside. Any ideas?

Overall, so far, I would say that the Highbridge experience is good, Steve the service chap there seems on the ball and attentive, but communication within maybe a problem. It was certainly a lot better than a large caravan dealership elsewhere in the country.

Thank you in advance.

Hawcara  2.When we got back to the storage place, we found that the catch on the dometic fridge does not work, or rather it stopped working and is stuck in the 'locked' position. The fridge door was open at the time, the door shuts and it should not be a problem. It would have been a different matter if it had been shut and then stuck, if you see what I mean. Is there a fix for this? We will take it back to Highbridge, but can see it happening again.

Not sure what you mean here - but have you got one of the Dometic fridges that can be left in two states of use - one held only by the magnetic seal (as in a home fridge) for on-site use, and the second which also has the catch holding it (which can also be used for on-site use as long as the appropriate detent in the top door frame is pushed down to open the fridge). The internal "hook" catch on these can be set in two positions, one for the first option, and one for the second.

3. On the Ford cab cannot get the menu options eg fuel etc to operate. can get any language-Polish, German etc, can operate trip and get the temp outside. Any ideas?.

I think you've got the subset of options that are available with the ignition off. With ignition on/engine running the additional fuel, etc. options are made available.

Hi Hawcara

Glad you got your new van andare ready to roam.

Be prepared to fix the fridge catch regularly - it is a simple matter though. Carefully prise off the plastic slider on the top of the fridge door and beneath you will find a crosshead screw. Undo this and you can move the metal catch part back to the proper (start) position. Refit the screw and snap the plastic cover back on (there is a groove which fits over a corresponding tab on the metal hook part - this will become obvious when you see it) and you can now secure the fridge in the locked position or slightly ajar when not in use to prevent the fridge starting to smell.

It seems to occur if the fridge slider catch is (unnoticed) in the locked position when the door is open - when you close the door it pushes the metal hook into the door frame and the slider becomes detached.

As you can probably tell, we have done this inadvertently a couple of times - try to get in the habit now of checking the slider is still in the unlocked position before closing the door.

Good luck

David

Robinhood - 2011-01-05 3:56 PMQUOTE]3. On the Ford cab cannot get the menu options eg fuel etc to operate. can get any language-Polish, German etc, can operate trip and get the temp outside. Any ideas?.

I think you've got the subset of options that are available with the ignition off. With ignition on/engine running the additional fuel, etc. options are made available.

Thank you, I will try that. The only time I tried playing with it, witth the engine running was in a traffic queue, so will now try it stationary,if you see what I mean. :-D

Hi Alex

I've just emailed you with info, but this is what I've said anyway in case anyone else is interested/has similar problems:

How to stop the grill just ‘worrying’ the toast!

Grill & draughts - I did put some comments on the forum about various problems with this which might be worth reading as I think they answer your questions, and probably a few others you haven’t found out about yet!

Toast worrying

This one give info on the grill draught and what we did:

grill draught

Just some general stuff:

general stuff

If you have any queries though please do get back to me.

Fridge catch - on ours the ‘hook’ that normally goes round the pin sometimes slides across too far, going past the guide, and then jams inside, either locking the door totally, or if the door is open, prevent it being locked. This is usually caused when you don’t have the catch fully open and aligned properly before you then slide it across. We have had to resort to pliers or even a very small screwdriver to prise the hook part back out when it’s gone in too far. It’s a design fault with the fridge unfortunately and we’ve had it happen a couple of times and are careful with it so as not to keep jamming it. When pitched up you don’t need to use the catch anyway, its only for transit or when you want to secure it slightly ajar when it’s empty.

Wheel - if you want one before you return to Highbridge (and probably a lot cheaper), then have a look at these on ebay, I think you will have the wheel/tyre size as indicated in the below:

spare wheel 1

spare wheel 2

If you’re interested I’d suggest giving them a ring to check what tyres/condition they are for sure, we got our spare from Transit Parts UK, the first one listed above (also see below thread on O&A live and my posting on 30 April 2010):

spare wheel thread

Dash computer - not sure about that as hubby’s the one who tends to play with it, so it can’t be that difficult! Have you got a Ford handbook? If not, I’ll ask hubby to dig ours out and check for you.

I'll leave you to wade through that lot for now!

Have fun!!!

Mel

Ref the fridge vent cover, you don't need a 'proper one', you can make something up yourself so long as you leave a small gap at either the bottom or top of the vent to allow some ventilation - some perspex attached to the inside of the vent would work and wouldn't look daft as it would be behind the vent itself and hidden from view.

toaster.jpg.866aef251d3e65ed8a3210161d429cc5.jpg

Hawcara - 2011-01-05 7:04 PM

Thank you Mel, got the PM.

I think sticky tape over the vent will have to do at the moment along with electric toaster.

Your toaster job looks like an old mess tin cut down.

:-D

That's the folding toaster that I mentioned above. They work a treat.

We now have three or four, and often use one at home.

;-)

That's the folding toaster that I mentioned above. They work a treat.

We now have three or four, and often use one at home.

;-)

Fantastic, I'm going to the CC show at Nec so I'll have a mooch around. Thank you.

Bearing in mind this van does not have an automatic dump valve for the water heater, I wondered if it were possible to dump the water manually from the heater but keep the main tank full. This would only be when it is very cold.

Tried this, this morn and indeed it seems to happen. The main tank stayed full. :-> :-D

Archived